Orlando Area Seller
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Wulfyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Orlando Area Seller

Just saw this on Craigslist:

http://aquacentral.dyndns.org/

Most of what they offer I can actually find in my marina and then some unfortunately. They are offering freshwater clams and mussels if anyone is interested in those. $5 for bluefin killies, I should try and breed the ones I have lol. I have found it never fails to find bluefin killies in minnow traps practically everytime. A fish with too much curiousity.
Wulfyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Ryi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Website says they are online only. If I'm buying local (I'm in Brevard) I'd really like to see what I am getting. I try to only buy livestock in person unless I am trading with a forum member. I actually drove down to Oakland Park just to cheock out a member's new freshwater planted aquarium store.
I try to save my online purchases for hardware and staples like chemicals.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Honestly you can find pretty much all of that in the springs or a local backwater lake or stream.
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Wulfyn
Planted Member

My only problem is identifying stuff when it isn't submerged or emersed. Was at Kelly Park again but this time was in the water. Found some moss and a plant that seemed to float on the surface along the edges of the water. Couldnt tell if it actually rooted in the substrate. Saw what I think may be coontail but unsure as any pic I see looks different. Not to mention they say it does not root in substrate even tho this stuff looks like it was anchored and not free floating. For a small park it does have interesting fauna in and out of the water.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

That is coontail you saw. I have not had much luck with it though in my tanks so it may be a cold water plant. Unless your tank is in the 70 degree range it will not work. Same with the moss, it does not like warmer climes and browns off and dies pretty much within a week although some of it did pull through for me so if you would like some already established let me know and we can meet up. There is also a floater I got from there that does really well, almost like a small water lettuce. It reproduces super fast though and before you know it you have a lot of little plants covering your tank. Unless you enjoy the weekly waintenance when it takes off I would advise against that. Like all things, anything you pull from nature brings heebie jeebies so don't be surprised even after you double bleach dip, and whatever else you QT your plants in you find more weird crawling things in your tank.

I have the moss in my red cherry colony and they seem to enjoy it, the water lettuce also.
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

Old 05-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Wulfyn
Planted Member

Most of the moss I saw was growing out of the water on a rock I think and into the water. Felt pretty resilient but was in a shady part of the spring run. I have had lettuce, found a normal sized one floating in the marina. It multiplies at a decent rate but as smaller plants in the tank. Any I pull out goes into a friends small pond where his goldfish and koi pretty much eat (kill) most of it. Ive had ghost shrimp hang out on or under the lettuce myself.
Was at cocoa beach past saturday and found what I think are mangrove seedlings that were laying on the shore.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
AquaCentral
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/83%)

We do pickup as well. Generally I give people an hour window when they can come see what I've got. In terms of selection, I'm actually in a partnership with a company in Naples. I carry mostly plants I can find in the wild ( for the moment ) in hopes it deters people from pillaging the natural landscaping. I am cultivating and producing cuttings. Just email me if you want to swing by!
AquaCentral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

That sounds good, I hate the idea of people pillaging as well although I do make trips to Kelly park myself but honestly its mostly the trapdoor snails and coontail I get for my tanks. The coontail works wonders when starting up my tanks and the snails are super cleaners. I have about ten babies now roaming my 20L. Sadly one of the two I had went on an expedition over the edge of the tank and busted its shell somehow.. I think it was unlucky enough to catch the edge of the cabinet and that was the end. Found it floundering on the floor with a missing piece of shell that was too big to try and mend up.
I'm dirty

Old 06-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
AquaCentral
Algae Grower

The thing is, we barely make enough to cover our overhead, so I'm not even making profit. It's more of my hobby. Most people leave with a nice sized grocery bag full of plants for about $30, much better than an lfs.
As for the moss you guys are talking about, http://www.killies.com/Truthaboutmosses.htm has helped me out, although it helps to have a microscope laying around
Old 06-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
Wulfyn
Planted Member

Thats cool, I dont like pillagers myself. I have gotten apple snails and what I beleive are Mesa Ramshorns from the marina/ sprinkler system (yep they can be found in the our sprinklers) and imo the ramshorns do a way better job at algae control than the apples. Of course I do have a couple of tiny melania sp? and some hitchikers from the lfs's. Have you tried growing lysimachia sp's to sell? I got some creeping jenny and golden globes in my tanks, nice looking stem plant and is starting to take off growing out of the water. Got a half gallon (guessing) sized pot of the golden globes at wally world for $1. Just cut long fronds off and plant and eventually the donor plant will regrow more fronds.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

+1 on ramshorns. I have quite a few mature, larger snails now and my 20L could not be more clean. Now the pond snails have to go though..
I'm dirty

Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
AquaCentral
Algae Grower

I've got some (what I guess) is singapore moss, some really nice Limnophil sessiflora, which is growing scarily fast. Also, what I found to be a strange but oddly attractive plant is bladderwort. I'm on my way to getting some reds for cultivation, when I save up enough to get some parent plants. I also found some what kind of look like malaysian trumpet snails, but with the ends lopped off... they are doing well. The apples I don't care for, as when they get big they start to treat my plants as salads. trapdoors and bigger ramshorns for me.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #13
Wulfyn
Planted Member

Update on moss found. I had it sitting in a container near a window for at least a week, totally different conditions than when I found it. I had tied it to some wood I was putting in a tank. It has shown signs of growth that is what I notice that hasnt gotten eaten by snails. Just noticed that it has some fronds that appear to have attached themselves to the wood. Perhaps that week acclimated it to warmer and brighter conditions?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
artega
IR1

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaCentral View Post
I've got some (what I guess) is singapore moss, some really nice Limnophil sessiflora, which is growing scarily fast. Also, what I found to be a strange but oddly attractive plant is bladderwort. I'm on my way to getting some reds for cultivation, when I save up enough to get some parent plants. I also found some what kind of look like malaysian trumpet snails, but with the ends lopped off... they are doing well. The apples I don't care for, as when they get big they start to treat my plants as salads. trapdoors and bigger ramshorns for me.
If what you have is indeed Singapore moss I think I would like some of that for my two tanks. I like it better than the java moss. I would also like to get some other plants aswell. I can send you my phone number if you like.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.