need stocking ideas for 100 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
gh0zt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)

need stocking ideas for 100 gallon

Im having a hard time stocking my newly planted 100 gallon and could use some ideas. Have 2 Rena XP3 for filtration. Tank is currently stocked with:

13 ottos
11 bloodfin tetras
5 cardinal tetras
8 denison barbs

I just picked up the barbs today and know they get about 6" so I'm not even sure how much more I should stock. Plan on upping the cards to about 15-20 and be done with anymore tiny schooling fish. I was thinking a couple between GBR, krib, or apisto. Any suggestions?
gh0zt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
JasonG75
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I would use AqAdvisor
http://aqadvisor.com/

it isnt a RULE but a guide. See where you stand as far as filtration and bioload. Some Angels would look nice in there.
The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...d-upgrade.html
JasonG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
PlantedVirgin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

It also depends on your water parameters too. The type of fish will depend on that.

For example discus and angels need lower TDS (total disolved solids) and ph, temp (82 to 85) as apposed to other types of fish. Don't get me wrong discus and angels can live in hard water, but they may not grow out correctly.

You also have to decide how much effort you are planning on putting into the maintenance of the tank (water changes, vacuuming, etc).

Rams appear to be a good choice with tetras and barbs.

Good luck.

PV
PlantedVirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

i agree on increasing the number of cardinals as they look awesome when they school. i have a 40 gallon setup and i have a variety of tetras (cardinals, lemons), hatchetfish, pencilfish, and rams. its a quiet amazon style tank.
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
gh0zt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)

Thanks for the input guys. I agree that it is dependent on my water params and I really should check it again. Admittedly, I haven't after 2+ month cycle completed.

I did use aqadvisor to give me a ballpark of where I'm at. After adding in 4 apistos and upping my cards it looks like I'm in the mid 90% as far as stocking levels and filtration is still showing more than 200%.

I never liked the look of angels, but then again this is my first community tank so I should really look at some tanks with different fish. Over the years I've only had arrowanas or piranhas in my big tank.

My mind has been too focused on some sort of dwarf cichlid cause they look so damn cool, but figured I should get some suggestions to broaden my scope. I found 2 local breeders that are selling gbr and kribs for very cheap and might just pick up 5 of one or the other and be done with my stocking.
gh0zt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

100 neon tetras?
Neatfish is offline   Reply With Quote