Lights & Fire Hazards
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 10-26-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
ringram
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram

Lights & Fire Hazards

I had a slight mishap with my lighting enclosure yesterday. It's an ah supply setup (2x 55w PCs) in one of their wood enclosures. I modified the enclosure to raise it about 3-4" off the top of the tank by adding wooden struts on the side.
Well, bad luck happened when I got home yesterday and found the enclosure halfway submerged in the tank with the lights still on!! It must have wiggled loose and/or the strut on one side was bumped and it fell off the support --- may have been one of our cats!! I quickly unplugged the whole thing and very carefully lifted the whole contraption out of the water, unplugged and cleaned the lights, dried off everything and tried hooking it up sometime later. Everything works, so that is a good thing, BUT.....
.....I got to thinking. Has anyone ever experienced fire hazards with lights and if so, what can be done to remedy it? Clearly there is a great deal of heat that builds up, plus a large number of units(usually) plugged into the same area. I know about checking circuits to make sure they can handle all that current and installing GFCI outlets(which I have done).....Just wondering if its anything to be concerned about. Hope this rant makes sense.

p.s. Thank goodness my ballast didn't get wet, the lights didn't shatter and the waterproof end caps did their job.

-Ryan

SAPS member - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sacaquaticplant/
ringram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 01:05 AM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

I would not call it bad luck exactly... I think you are the one tempting your luck. Just don't install lights where they have a chance to fall into the tank. Like they say... water and electricity doesn't mix. Once your house catches fire or someone gets electrocuted it's too late. Not saying that any of this is likely to happen... just that you better think about it beforehand and install lights accordingly.

I like using cover glasses for this reason...
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote