Apistogramma Tank Mates
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Apistogramma Tank Mates

I had a question regarding what kind of fish do well with Apistogrammas? I don't have a specific Apisto decided on yet, but I would like to get a male/female for my 25gallon cube.

I also have 8 Espei Rasoboras that I would like to move over to the new tank. Would they get along okay with Apistos? If the apistos lay eggs, I figure they'll be a bit more defensive if the Espeis got nearby but a little chasing is okay as long as they don't kill them.

Also, would it be possible to house 2 different apisot couples in the tank (so 4 of them total, 2 male, 2 female). I think the tank would be a lot more interesting if there were 2 different kinds and it would make choosing the breeds easier since I can choose my 2 favorites.

All in all, I would love to have my 8 espei rasboras, 3 otocinlus, and either 2 or 4 Apisotgrammas. Would it work on a 25 gallon tank like this:

(I have moved the driftwood a bit more to accommodate more caves since I took the picture)

Last edited by fusiongt; 07-17-2012 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: ed
fusiongt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I think most if not all apistos would be ok with espies and ottos, as for 4 apistos, you should really do just 2 for a 25.
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

2 apisto with the espei rasboras would be fine.

I would not mix another different pair in the tank you don't have enough room for the wars that could break out. Depending on the type you get you could get 2 females and one male. These are peaceful fish unless spawning the males can be very nasty to each other. Cichlids of all sizes are crazy in their own way.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
agimlin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

we need a better pic of the tank. from the angle i looks amazing
agimlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

Don't house 2 different pairs in the same for a couple of reasons:
A) The males will fight, especially when they breed.
B) It is very difficult to differentiate between the females of different species especially within the same group.

Get either all males (ie. you can house 2 males from different species just fine) or get a harem of 3 females to 1 male. In fact having a harem is more interesting than a single pair and it allows a higher chance of breeding success. Most Apistogramma (ie. stay away from the nijsseni group) are harem spawners so have your pick.
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay that's what I thought, I'll just get one pair or 1 male 2 females (lucky guy!).

Anyone have opinions on Apistogramma Diplotaenia or apistogramma elizabethae

My LFS has both of them (though just males I'll have to ask them to get a female) and they look amazing. I just bought a few Apisto books that I'll be reading when it comes as I've found there's not as much on them online as I'd hope.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

Get 3 females. The problem with having only 2 females is that as soon as the male pairs with one of the females, the second female will become their target.

A. diplotaenia and A. elizabethae both need really soft water. RO is preferable. I've had A. elizabethae before; kept them in RO water with very low TDS/dKH. My problem was while the male was interested in breeding; the female never gave in. That's why it's recommended to have more than 1 female, as buying a "pair" is does not always work.

Here's a picture of him in flaring mode:

BTW, this is A. elizabethae 'Super Red' ; I believe it was imported from Glaser in Germany.
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.

Ah beautiful Elizabethae you have. I didn't know that about the really low PH water. I'm getting a few apistogramma books that'll hopefully help me with the water parameters needed. When you say low PH, do you know the number? Mine's around 6.4 right now with regular tap water (but ada amazonia and driftwood lowering it)

I'm also going to have to find more info on Diplotaenia as I read a few places they like sand which I have a lot of in this particular tank so that would work out even better (accidentally made them a good home hopefully!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.