German Blue Rams
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Drowki
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Drowki

German Blue Rams

My German Blue ram laid eggs last night, so I was very excited. Come in the morning all gone and the spawning nest in my substrate filled in. I saw the male eatting the eggs and the female kicking him out (go away you dead beat father)....

Question 1: this is typical first spawn? - from what i read yes.
Question 2: the water paramters are good for them to lay eggs? or regardless of the water quality they will do it when paired with a male?

I love those fish and i want to make sure they are ok. I am thinking about getting electric blue long finned ones as well.... but I want to make sure these guys live.

I had one for 3 weeks and one for 2 weeks.
Drowki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie

Usually eggs are eaten when they feel the eggs are being threatened. What else do you have in the tank, and what size?
Trickerie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Drowki
Planted Member

Khuli loaches/Clown, Pleco, bumblebee gobys, cardinals, honey gourami those are the closest things that were near...

so basically get rid of all the fish... and thats it? or is there a way they would feel safe...?

the male kept picking at it and spitting the eggs away from the nest... the female was very terrirtorial and chased away other fish.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie

I say just let them be for now. They will probably try again and will eventually be successful.
Trickerie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Drowki
Planted Member

I read at first they will be horrible parrents, eatting their young and eggs. I noticed when the lights were off they both huddled over the eggs and guarded them. Come morning, bye bye eggs =(

I am hoping for a giant swam of German Blue's !!!!

so good water quality if they are breeding right?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
MarineEdge
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

It will usually take several tries before they have a successful spawn. Like you read, they are bad parents starting off, but they learn as they go. Just keep trying, theyll get it right eventually

RAOK Member #47
MarineEdge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
Drowki
Planted Member

hahah keep trying? I am the guy that cleans the tank =P
Lol if my roommates saw this post they would start making fun of me! haha
Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
MarineEdge
Planted Member

haha nothin wrong with *adopting* fish from tanks. I did that with my girlfriend. Her tanks at her house but i grew attatched until we agreed to each have control of one tank (i introduced her to fish in the first place) . mines the 20L with two GBR's, 6 cardinals, two clown plecos, and two black khulis. Hers is a 10g guppy tank lol. I think i won ^_^

RAOK Member #47
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
MarineEdge
Planted Member

and to answer your number two question. I read the ideal PH is in the 5 range for breeding. mines 6.5-7, but i think its rare for them to breed that high

RAOK Member #47
Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
Drowki
Planted Member

My ph is in the 6 range now, different water in Hoboken vs Moonachie... weird..
Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
Waterrat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Drowki-

My experience is that rams are horrible parents. Of the hundreds of spawns that we have hatched and raised, the parents have never raised a single spawn, but I do know breeders who have rams that are excellent parents.

I know that everything you read on the internet says that rams do best in a pH of 6.5 or so, but I think most of that information applies to "wild rams" in their native environment. Most, if not all, of the rams offered for sale are domestically spawned and raised locally (in the US). We have been raising rams for years and the pH of our water is 7.2-7.4, and we have never had any problems with egg fertility or fry viability. Our fish spawn fairly regularly at about 7-10 day intervals. Fertility is near 100%. Keep you temperature up to at least 80 degrees, 83 would be even better depending on what else you have in the tank.

The next time they spawn, you might try leaving some type of light on over the tank. We use blue LED lights on timers. I've heard from other breeders that when the tank goes absolutely dark at night, the parents get extremely nervous and will eat the eggs rather than allowing some other fish get to them first (but I don't pretend to be a fish psychologist either).

If that doesn't work, you might try hatching the eggs artificially. We use small 2" x 2" pieces of slate placed around the back and sides of the tank (red slate seems to work best). When the fish spawn, the slate can be removed and placed in a hatching container and hatched artificially. The process is identical raising angelfish.
Waterrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.