- - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #16
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobystanton View Post
You really need more then just a hob, it really helps to have a spray bar, I run co2 till my drop checker is yellow and the shrimps are fine because of the gas exchange surface agitation provides.
it really doesnt matter what type of filter he has as long as hes got good flow and surface agitation a spray bar really wont have much of a effect vs a hob, they both can provide surface agitation only main thing is the spray bar can tone down the current while keeping the same flow but thats about it.
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
tobystanton
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/83%)

A properly positioned spray bar can provide far more surface agitation and water circulation then a HOB could hope to provide.

I personally wouldn't feel safe pumping Co2 with the agitation from a HoB filter for shrimp, but It does work.
tobystanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #18
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

If you want maximum reproduction and health for your shrimp, IMO I'd quit the CO2, lower your ph slightly and get a sponge filter (for their simplicity and cheapness, they're the best at providing good O2). If you're not a big fan of somewhat ugly sponges in your tank, one option is to cover it with some ferns or moss.

Good luck
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

thanks again everybody.

i cant believe i forgot to mention my tank is an 11.4g mr. aqua, the lighting is quite high, t5ho, 2x 18w bulbs, 10k....however, per Hoppy's recommendation, I do have two layers of fiberglass window screen in between the bulbs and the the splash guard to tame the light. the light sits about 4" above the water line, and about 12" above the substrate. i think i'll add one more layer of screen to further tame the light, and just scrap using the co2.

i am keeping red rili's in this tank as well, what is a good method of lowering the pH? (besides switching to aquasoil, lol)

i do have an airpump with a sponge filter, i just dont like the splashing bubbles that occur (my tank is rimless and i dont have a lid/cover).

i should also mention, my rili's are breeding like crazy, and the baby survival rate is really high. although, i know they aren't as sensitive as the tigers.

Last edited by beedee; 07-15-2012 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: added content.
beedee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 02:43 AM   #20
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

Add some peat or Indian almond leaves to lower ph
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #21
tobystanton
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/83%)

Alder cones are also good for lowering PH, its hard sometimes to get almond leaves to match your scape.
tobystanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #22
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks, i actually do have some IAL i can throw in there, i'll soak them first so the tannins dont murk up my water.

i took out the co2 setup, and put in a sponge with air-pump, it is kind of soothing actually, haha. the shrimp seem happy, and havent even come near the surface since i made the changes. i also put in one more layer of window screen to tame my light, so knock on wood, all should be good now!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #23
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

if you soak them first, they wont do a good job of lowering your pH, it's the tannic acid (tannins) that lower the pH
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #24
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ahhh, ok. thanks, i'll toss one in sans soak.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #25
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

Its an O2 deficiency that has the sitting at the surface. I had a tank in which they would do that each morning until the light came on and the plants starting making O2. The tank did not have CO2 on it but it didn't have enough surface agitation at night to keep the O2 levels adequate.
oblongshrimp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
shrimp, super, tank, tiger, top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.