Another guy... Another 12g long... Another DSM... Another filled - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Btw I have a question for the 1st picture and 2nd picture. Did you plant all that HC or did it grow and spread.
I think it was mostly planted. I had another small 1.8 gallon tank with an HC carpet. I trimmed it every 2 weeks and just left the trimmings floating in that tank. After awhile, I sprinkled it on the bare patches and let the roots go down. 2 weeks later, i did another trimming an sprinkled it to fill in. Finally, I put on a thin layer of powder Aqua soil.

The HC is getting very long. I'm trimming it short and leaving the trimming in to grow into a very dense carpet.

I recently drained my 1.8 gallon tank due to mutant blue green algae. I'm in the same boat as you watching it transition to emmersed form.
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabisabi View Post
Nice layout! Really digging these 12 g long scapes.
Thanks! I gotta check out the Aquascapes anniversary sale this weekend. Are you going?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb19 View Post
I'm digging that Concave Rock on the right side as well. Nice layout indeed.
Thanks! I'm not sure what to do with that cave. It looks like an eye to me.

Quote:
I swear, if you had another concave rock for the opposite side - you could create the gates of oblivion and send your shrimp to all damnation *palms his hands together* MuHAHA

i do love how you got little patches of moss or HC going on the grows - makes it look so ancient
LOL. This tank will be Hell, if I got any expensive shrimp. I'm too lazy to raise them. I'll stick with the wild ones for now.(maybe some blue pearls later)
Old 07-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #19
travis.808
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks good! Have you thought of using anything as background plants behind the seiryu?
travis.808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #20
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Nice I really like the 12G Long. If it werent for the price I would have one already because its not too big and seems perfect for shrimp. I really envy people like you that have the patients to do DSM. Maybe on my next tank.
dubels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:56 AM   #21
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

nice! you're really utilizing the length well.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #22
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Looks good! Have you thought of using anything as background plants behind the seiryu?
Thanks! I have an idea for some stems back there but I'm not sure what kind. It'll probably be something red.

Quote:
Nice I really like the 12G Long. If it werent for the price I would have one already because its not too big and seems perfect for shrimp. I really envy people like you that have the patients to do DSM. Maybe on my next tank.
You should get one! These tanks are really nice for a small landscape. The DSM is more of a nessesity with 2 kids and wife who doesn't like me working on the tanks for too long.

Quote:
nice! you're really utilizing the length well.
Thanks Aweeby! I went to my first HAS meeting last friday. It was a pretty interesting topic about importing livestock. I'm going to try and import some shrimp and use the reason "for aquaponics". I wonder if it'll get approved. lol
Old 07-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #23
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh, cool, i went too. personally, i think i've seen better presentations. I feel like the basic message was: It's technically super hard to do things by the letter, but the legal system is pretty much screwy anyway, so it's all good. Meh.
Did you end up staying for the auction? For some reason, no one wanted to bid on the equipment so I got some pretty decent HOBs. Anyway, are you going to enter the show with this? Would be pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
Thanks Aweeby! I went to my first HAS meeting last friday. It was a pretty interesting topic about importing livestock. I'm going to try and import some shrimp and use the reason "for aquaponics". I wonder if it'll get approved. lol
Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #24
wabisabi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)

Quote:
Thanks! I gotta check out the Aquascapes anniversary sale this weekend. Are you going?
Fo sho!
wabisabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #25
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
Oh, cool, i went too. personally, i think i've seen better presentations. I feel like the basic message was: It's technically super hard to do things by the letter, but the legal system is pretty much screwy anyway, so it's all good. Meh.
Did you end up staying for the auction? For some reason, no one wanted to bid on the equipment so I got some pretty decent HOBs. Anyway, are you going to enter the show with this? Would be pretty cool.
Yeah I stayed for the auction. I was the one with all the plants and no fish at the end. I can't believe people buy sooo many fish. They must have huge tanks.

Were you helping with the auction? I didn't want to bid against the Jr. members and I'm hoping the other adults don't usually do it either.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
gotplants
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks Man! I might keep it dry like your tank for 90 days. Do you use a scissors to trim the HC? I have a 6''x12'' tank with an HC carpet and it takes 30 minutes to mow that lawn. This tank is going to take hours. I think I should use a waterproof hair clipper. lol
Yeah, I use some ADA knock off curved stainless steel scissors from [Ebay Link Removed] They only cost me like 7 or 8 bucks and it takes like 10 minutes to trim the HC.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #27
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah I stayed for the auction. I was the one with all the plants and no fish at the end. I can't believe people buy sooo many fish. They must have huge tanks.

Were you helping with the auction? I didn't want to bid against the Jr. members and I'm hoping the other adults don't usually do it either.
yeah, i was the taller girl. eh, i guess that's why. there's some upsides to being under 18, i guess. there's this one guy who buys a crapload of stuff every single time. Some of these purchases confuse me. Did you see the discus? No one wanted him.

oh and for the ebay link, can you post the item number? the link got deleted and i'm kind of interested in getting a pair of those myself.

Speaking of red stems, petland kahala has ludwigia sp. red in stock, 4$ with HAS member ship card for 8-11 stems. I made the lady dig around and find the biggest bunch, lol. but they all looked pretty good.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #28
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
yeah, i was the taller girl. eh, i guess that's why. there's some upsides to being under 18, i guess. there's this one guy who buys a crapload of stuff every single time. Some of these purchases confuse me. Did you see the discus? No one wanted him.

oh and for the ebay link, can you post the item number? the link got deleted and i'm kind of interested in getting a pair of those myself.

Speaking of red stems, petland kahala has ludwigia sp. red in stock, 4$ with HAS member ship card for 8-11 stems. I made the lady dig around and find the biggest bunch, lol. but they all looked pretty good.
Was that older gentleman in the front buying a lot of cichlids and bettas? Yeah, the discus was very nice. I wanted him but my tanks are too small to house him.

Thanks for the head ups on the ludwigia. It's such a beautiful but yet undemanding plant to keep. I got some stems from last years HAS show/auction. I love it.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #29
travis.808
Algae Grower

Hey man nice to put faces to screennames! Did you end up get some background plants? I really like this composition btw! Take care!
travis.808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #30
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.808 View Post
Hey man nice to put faces to screennames! Did you end up get some background plants? I really like this composition btw! Take care!
Yeah, It was nice meeting you. So how did your planting go? I'll be waiting for the journal. Hehe. Oh yeah, the backround plants... I did get a lot but none of them would match this tank. I'll post the pictures.

Last edited by Kai808; 07-16-2012 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: sp.

Tags
12 gallon long, dsm, lego, mr. aqua