What is the best complete nano kit? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 05-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
Gotcha38
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluk27 View Post
Just to let you know Nano tanks are probably the most difficult and unforgiving tanks because of their size. They can get out of balance easier than a large tank and can be quiet a headache. I started out with a nano tank, I wish I got a bigger tank first lol. If you can you should get a bigger tank first, it would be easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Desert_scape View Post
You beat me too it. I was going to definitely suggest going bigger than a nano for your first Aquarium unless you want a very difficult beginning.
Thank you. I've read that in several places, but as I am going to be moving possibly several times over the next few years I don't want to invest in something like a 29-75 gal.

I also thought about getting one of the Fluval Edge's but everyone seems to be ticked off about the little hole in the top. I don't have very large plans for it. Just some rocks, maybe anubis, and a few fish. I thought everyone started out with a beta in a fish bowl?
Gotcha38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #17
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I've had large and small tanks over the years and prefer nanos. My Picotope is the easiest of all to care for. I feed my Betta and top off his water daily with bottled spring water. It had just enough nutrients in the system to keep the plants happy and I dont have CO2 since its low light. That means I don't have to trim much. I clean the glass and rinse the filter media weekly but that's it. I did replace the bulb in the stock fixture and bought the Red Sea Nano filter. It's WAY better than the stock filter and still inexpensive. Honestly, it's my favorite tank. Yes, larger tanks are more stable but, if you are careful, even a nano can be easy to maintain.

Jenna
Old 05-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #18
if_fishes_were_wishes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

I had a thriving Petco 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank with cherry shrimp and celestial danios (took it down when we moved). Easy as pie to maintain. Added a Coralife fixture and an Aquaclear filter and did a small water change every 2 weeks. I didn't even have a heater on it. My plants went crazy and I had very happy shrimp and fish. Don't be scared of nanos, they're not so bad Just make sure you have really good filtration, add a bunch of easy to grow plants (I had tons of anachris and different types of moss) and don't overstock or overfeed and you'll be fine

I'm considering reviving the 6.6 (after we moved, I set up a 29 for the shrimp and fish), it has really nice dimensions.

I started out with goldfish in a bowl, then a 3 gallon, then a 10, then a 20, finally a 55...very addictive hobby!
Eheim pimp #255

55 gallon semi-aggressive community tank, 13.3 gallon cherry shrimp tank 12 long reef
12G Rimless Club
if_fishes_were_wishes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
jemminnifener
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I wish I had splurged more on my nano tanks. I got 2 minibows and while they are cheap and readily available, they are, well, cheap. I enjoy looking at my standard 10 gallon tank a lot more. The 10 gallon is easier to stock, easier to decorate, and accommodates standard-sized equipment. I think a 10 gallon is a great beginner tank. You don't need to start with anything larger like a 29 gallon as long as you understand its limitations. IMO, a 2.5 is pretty small. Although if all you want is a betta, that'll work out fine. Maybe think about a 5 gallon?

Recently I've been eyeing the Eheim Aquastyle tanks. They come in 3 sizes: 4 gallon, 6 gallon, and 9 gallon. They look very nice and come with a lid, filter, and light. The light is an LED which should be sufficient for growing non-demanding plants and from what I hear, Eheim makes quality equipment so I assume their filter is pretty good too. It does not come with a heater. These tanks are a bit pricey but if you turn out like me, it'll be worth it to buy a quality tank once instead of a shoddy tank once and replacing it with another tank.
jemminnifener is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #20
amcoffeegirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

What the newest, hottest mini kit?
amcoffeegirl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #21
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I just love the Fluval Spec w/ built in filter and light. I wish I could invest, but 5.5g at Walmart is only $10, I have 3.

Maybe if I got for a present it'd be worth the $40.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.