ADA 90P Iwugami (56K Warning) Updated 5/16/2013 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #31
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Thumbs up

ADA 90P Iwugami (56K Warning) Updated 5/16/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmLaracy View Post
Once again, super idea... I know fluorite works quite well, and with those nutrients I wouldn't be surprised if you get growth as good or better than just AS and no additives. And you know what you're doing, I'm sure you could get those shade lovers to grow tremendously under 2 panels , between shading them with the trident and keeping things balanced, you'll be just fine I promise. You can always take one down. Personally though, if you choose to use two, I'd start at least the first week or two with one panel. I usually start the first week or two with my halide at 18" then move it to 10" slowly over the course of a week. This time I started at 10" cause the bulb was shot.

BTW, 45lbs of seiryu was a risky move my friend, I ordered 60" from AFA to make sure they were large enough and that I'd have extra for variety and flexibility for new scapes. I'm definitely happy with the choice, it was worth the money... if I could go back I would have made it 75lbs believe it or not.

Excited for the pics, 90P is my favorite tank along with 120H... don't let me down
75Lbs. is a LOT of stone for 90P, but yeah I am loving the flexibility of having what I do, otherwise I would be pissed. I shall do my very best to impress! I only wish that I could have bought a 120P. OMG! But that would have wrecked my entire budget for the rest of the year, lol.
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #32
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
75Lbs. is a LOT of stone for 90P, but yeah I am loving the flexibility of having what I do, otherwise I would be pissed. I shall do my very best to impress! I only wish that I could have bought a 120P. OMG! But that would have wrecked my entire budget for the rest of the year, lol.
To be honest, if they were the same price, I'd still take a 90P over a 120P. I really don't like it when the hight isn't half the length. Why do you think amano uses pretty much exclusively 90P's and 120H's? 180P's are a different story, and occasionally he uses 90H's, but other than that have you ever seen a 120P or 75P in his gallery? Not one. Nice choice with the 90P
Old 07-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #33
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd

I've got 120 pounds in my tank. I'd probably need a bit more for a nice iwagumi. I have smaller rocks, but I'd need bigger one.
jcgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #34
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Talking Hehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
I've got 120 pounds in my tank. I'd probably need a bit more for a nice iwagumi. I have smaller rocks, but I'd need bigger one.
Believe me jcgd, if I could somehow sneak over and raid that tank I would just so I could stock up on some stone! lol.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #35
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Talking 90P Arrives and Hardscape Layout (Done?)

Well here's what you've been waiting for, the 90P arrived today finally. It weighs around 90lbs empty, so in retrospect I'm glad I didn't buy the 120P. The glass is thick compared to the 60P that I had way back in 2006/7. The crate and box mess...I was so excited to get the tank out I almost had a hernia lifting it by myself. Believe me, if you ever want to have one delivered, you absolutely must have this to protect it. I was skeptical but when the UPS man delivered it, I realized it was a very necessary precaution.

First step, the Tourmaline BC, Iron Bottom and Multi-bottom Long amendments go in...

Then next the Fluorite Black...at this stage, I had to raise the LED light fixture fairly high to have some room to work. Physically, I guess I just didn't realize how the dimensions of the tank would look like until it arrived, though I planned for it obviously.

And of course the obligatory ADA brand sticker!!!

Next comes the manzanita tree...

Accompanied by some Seriyu stone... with a few close ups for detail.

I'm still not certain about this arrangement on the left side of the tank around the manzanita tree...

And finally the whole composition, with some additional Fluorite on the right to create a hill and some depth with a valley in the middle. I also slightly increased the depth overall. I'm not absolute certain how I want to handle the stones on the left side. I have more stone to work with but the real estate in the tank is fairly limited at this point since I really like the hill I've created on the right. As always, comments, suggestions and critiques are welcomed!

Old 07-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #36
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Well finally! Looks really good so far and the stones look awesome. I like what you have so far and I probably wouldn't change much. Since your going with a tree theme I think it works. I'm curious, did you have your tank shipped to your door? Was it alot more for that? Also, a note on the 120p. I believe that one of the reasons why Amano rarely uses it is that because he likes to have all the big tanks at one height in the gallery so it looks clean. I was told that by and Ada rep also, the dimensions work better with the golden ratio..... That said, I noticed a lot of the IAPLC entries this year using 120ps. I actually like the long and low look. Works well with mountain scapes. And driftwood stone combos. Anyway, I'm happy you finally have something to work with. I'm curious to see how the light does. Which brings me to my next question. Do you like the rail attached to the light. I'm thinking of just attaching my tile with the hanging kit directly. You think that would be possible? And it looks SUPER bright in your photos.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #37
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Arrow Some Answers...I Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Well finally! Looks really good so far and the stones look awesome. I like what you have so far and I probably wouldn't change much. Since your going with a tree theme I think it works. I'm curious, did you have your tank shipped to your door? Was it alot more for that? Also, a note on the 120p. I believe that one of the reasons why Amano rarely uses it is that because he likes to have all the big tanks at one height in the gallery so it looks clean. I was told that by and Ada rep also, the dimensions work better with the golden ratio..... That said, I noticed a lot of the IAPLC entries this year using 120ps. I actually like the long and low look. Works well with mountain scapes. And driftwood stone combos. Anyway, I'm happy you finally have something to work with. I'm curious to see how the light does. Which brings me to my next question. Do you like the rail attached to the light. I'm thinking of just attaching my tile with the hanging kit directly. You think that would be possible? And it looks SUPER bright in your photos.
I did have the tank shipped to my door by UPS. It cost me about $85 but it only took 3 days since I live in Washington state and it's not that far from Cali (which is nice). I would die to have a 120P but the glass on the 90P is 1/2 " thick, so I can't imagine what the 120P's glass must be like. It probably weighs a TON; but I do like the length and the low height makes for some really useful real estate. Here's the thing with the rail - I like it because it has room to expand and put a second tile on, whereas if you limit yourself to hanging just the fixture, you'll have to get the rail eventually to add a second tile. As for the brightness, it is hella bright, but it takes about 2-3 days after you first get it to really kick in. Initially I was very skeptical about its lighting intensity, compared to CPF, T5's T8's, etc. But your eyes have to adjust to how LEDs illuminate things and it has a short "burn in" period where the LEDs reach their optimum efficiency (which in my case was about 3 days of regular use). I actually have to raise it higher than I planned because it's so bright and I already returned the second tile because it's obvious that lowering it would be enough to increase the PAR at substrate level. Also please pardon the extra suspension wires, I'm having them trimmed today. I should also note that the light is about 4" above the tank in the final FTS.

Last edited by styxx; 07-12-2012 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Bad memory as usual...
Old 07-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #38
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
I did have the tank shipped to my door by UPS. It cost me about $85 but it only took 3 days since I live in Washington state and it's not that far from Cali (which is nice). I would die to have a 120P but the glass on the 90P is 1/2 " thick, so I can't imagine what the 120P's glass must be like. It probably weighs a TON; but I do like the length and the low height makes for some really useful real estate. Here's the thing with the rail - I like it because it has room to expand and put a second tile on, whereas if you limit yourself to hanging just the fixture, you'll have to get the rail eventually to add a second tile. As for the brightness, it is hella bright, but it takes about 2-3 days after you first get it to really kick in. Initially I was very skeptical about its lighting intensity, compared to CPF, T5's T8's, etc. But your eyes have to adjust to how LEDs illuminate things and it has a short "burn in" period where the LEDs reach their optimum efficiency (which in my case was about 3 days of regular use). I actually have to raise it higher than I planned because it's so bright and I already returned the second tile because it's obvious that lowering it would be enough to increase the PAR at substrate level.
Ah. Thanks for the tip. So you decided against the second tile? Probably way to much light. I'm only going to have the 1 aquaray 400 mini. And I'm probably going to get the hanging kit and make my own suspension using emt pipe. Hopefully I won't need the rail to hang it. Its supposed to come with these plastic brackets so you can hang it.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #39
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I can't wait to see how the single tile performs. If you can run the 90p up to high light then it becomes very competitive with a high end t5ho set up as a lighting solution.

Again, drooling over the equipment and layout, I say that, of course, with a 0% for 12months credit card mocking me!
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #40
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I love those dimensions, truly jealous. I'm always wishing my 75P had another 6" of length. This will definitely be the tank I buy when my 75P is too old to use, and it's definitely getting there... 6 years of use and 7 scapes, it's seen better days. If for some reason I can afford it by then, a 120H would take precedent over the 90P, but I'd much rather a 90P over a 120P.

I like the scape but it would definitely benefit from more substrate, more height and depth would really impact it in a great way. Would you have to order more or do you have a LFS you could take a visit to?

Goos stuff, cheers mate.

EDIT: I'm disappointed in you styx, where's the other LED pendant?!

Last edited by CmLaracy; 07-15-2012 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: ;)
CmLaracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #41
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Angry Quick Update

I can't type much, as yesterday I was busy trying to run some errands to Ace Hardware. I bought some new ferrules and trimmed the wires hanging the light, as well as buying some composite shims for the stand (it wasn't level completely and I filled the tank up and the water level was about 1/4" off). In the process of shimming the stand (with the tank, rock and substrate - but no water) I twisted my lower back. And of course it's hurting like a b***h right now. Though the stand is completely level now and hopefully will stay that way even once the weight of the water is added. Also I broke the nipple on my GLA diffusor and they were nice enough to send me a new one. So everything should arrive around Tues. or Wed. More updates then, since that's when planting will start.

@ CM, yes, I know you want more light, but right now you'll just have to wait!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #42
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

The wood work and stone work are looking great, can't wait to see this tank once it has fully bloomed
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #43
Platypus Gus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thats some good lookin stone you got there
Old 07-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #44
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good lookin rocks I'd like the tree little more to the right, myself - since it's your main focal point - but I like the balance with the hill on the right
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #45
styxx
Wannabe Guru

Default Quick Update

@ Platapus Gus, thanks!
@ theblondskeleton, I appreciate that! I'm trying to make the tree "lonely" so that's the theme anyways.

Well the E. Hydropiper arrived today and it was in a horrible state. Mushy, yellow and I'm skeptical that it will survive but I've done my best and now only time will tell if it will recover. I'm also pissed at the quantity I received given the cost but whatever; part of the problem was the Postal Service (how shocking) taking 4 days to deliver a "Priority" package (if that isn't a non sequitur I don't know what is). Either way I can adapt to lileopsis if necessary. But I am not a happy camper right now. On the upside, the anubias nana came in and they were in excellent condition; the anubias pettite also arrived, but they were exceptionally tiny and I was disappointed about that too, but fortunately everything was in really pristine condition. I highly recommend buying from Gordon Richards at least for his anubias as they're dark green, algae free with a strong root system on the larger sizes and a nice firm rhizome. Pics to come soon...

Last edited by styxx; 07-19-2012 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: Correction

Tags
90p, ada, ada or die, aqua forest, grobeam 1000