10 Gallon Blackwater-Like Project
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Kratos
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

10 Gallon Blackwater-Like Project

I got one of those Tetra aquarium kits with an incandesent light hood, cycled it and had it up for a bit then now I decide I want to make it a small blackwater biotope.

This won't be densely planted, but will have a few. So far I have just added plant clippings from my big planted tanks. The main plant in it will be floating brazilian pennywort. And I want to replace the anacharis in the right corner but not sure what with yet.

For lighting, I'm going out to pick up a pair of screw-in GE CLF Daylight bulbs with 6500 kelvins. Aiming for 2 10w bulbs. I'm using the Tetra power filter it came with. 50w heater. Am going to use Flourish 2x weekly as I do on all my planted tanks.

Hardscape, I have malaysian driftwood pieces and rocks and am going to add some oak leaf litter. Substrate is sand.

Stock I am wanting a pair of ram cichlids & a few ottos OR I want 6-7 neon tetras, 3-5 panda cories and 2-3 ottos. There's 3 pandas and 2 platies in it now, the platies will be transfered to my 55 later.

On a misc note I need to remove that piece of tape I used on the outside for the background sheet. It's appearing on the left corner center and well, for me it's an eyesore lol.

July 10, 2012:

July 6, 2012:

FTS

Right

Left

July 5, 2012:

Last edited by Kratos; 07-10-2012 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: updating tank
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Kratos
Algae Grower

I removed the platies.

Am (hopefully) getting GE bulbs this morning if I find the right ones, and the leaves by tomorrow.

Then I need brazilian pennywort, and/or hornwort and water sprite. I added a bit of blackwater extract.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Kratos
Algae Grower

Got the bulbs and leaves but only added a few.

Here is a quick vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMCMXMXDVMo
Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Your cories are going to love this setup, although I would stick to pygmy cories only for this 10gal size setup, add a nerite snail or floating plants for algea control as your plants get acclimated, and a few trumpet snails to stir entrapped substrate gases.

Last edited by AirstoND; 07-07-2012 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: edit
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Kratos
Algae Grower

Pygmy's are cool and readily available in my area. Ultimately I want to move the pandas to a 90 gallon cory tank with sterbais, peppered and a few bronze and albino cories. That will be an all cory tank and I hope it comes sooner than later but space is tight in my house at this time.

I did a water change and the wisteria floated atop and now I'm just leaving it, it looks pretty cool.

Nerites are tough buggers to find here. Apple snails to sift through the sand perhaps? Small ones that is.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Kratos
Algae Grower

I've added a few more plants. Removed the wood I had in and replaced it with an anubias on driftwood log.

Eh, am thinking the cories are about to come out, right now my betta is in there with them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.