New to this...help me out please.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Onkore

PTrader: (0/0%)

New to this...help me out please.

So after about a 15 years away from the world of aquariums, my daughter recieved a couple of guppies from her teacher's class room tank this year. We got her a little 10 gallon tank, got it set up and cycled, added the guppies and took her to the store to get more fish. While we were there we grabbed a few live plants. I've never kept live plants before, but thought we'd give them a try. I've been utterly amazed at the stability of this 10 gallon tank since the plants have been in there. Admittedly, this tank is probably overstocked, but it consistently test out at 0/0/0. We are still doing 20% water changes weekly, but it just seems to be amazingly stable with virtually no build up of nitrates. I've attached a pic of her tank as it sits now. We may add some more plants later, but its kinda hard to want to mess with it.

This got me interested in planted tanks. I decided to start one of my own. I got a nice little 20 gallon long and decided to go for it. Specs are as follows:

20 gallon long tank
Aquaclear 30
Aquaclear 50
Aqueon 100 watt heater
Aqueon dual t5 lights (2X18watt ) 1 at 6700k, 1 at colormax
SafeTSorb substrate

Tank is all set up and fishless cycling. See attached pic.

I definately want to start with low tech and I know this will limit my plant selection. I've found a great list of low tech plants in a sticky on this forum. I plant only use the plants on the sticky.

I guess I'm mostly looking for confirmation that this set up will work with these plants and some pointers for aquascaping it to get the most out of it with the plants on the sticky. Any tips and pointers are greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phoebe FTS.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	50499  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FTS 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	50500  

Last edited by Onkore; 07-09-2012 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: wording change
Onkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

You will probably have too much light (about 50 micromols of PAR) to do without CO2, so I recommend starting a DIY CO2 system on the 10 gallon tank. It is easy to do, and a single 1 liter bottle would very likely give you plenty of CO2. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=178503 is how I'm doing it, except my tank is bigger, so I use two 2 liter bottles.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie

Hey,

I'm liking what I see so far, the hardscape should look great with plants filled in. For low tech, the light you have should work. The only suggestion I may give is to switch the colormax with something else and raise the light up quite a few inches. Its basically for visual looks, and offers no real PAR for your plants. Since you chose safe-t-sorb and not something like aqua soil, you will still need some ferts, low tech or not. If you could give us a list of a few plants you want to add, we can give further advice.

Btw, is that a betta and a ram I see in that 10g? :O
Trickerie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Onkore

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hoppy- you think that is too much light for the 20 gallon or the 10 gallon? I'm a little intimidated by CO2 right now. Would Flourish Excel get me by until I can do some more research on CO2?

Trickerie- I'm not opposed to adding ferts. I haven't decided on a method yet, but knew that I would need to. The SafeTSorb was the best option available to me locally without going with dirt. I don't have a list yet, but I am planning on using the plant list on the sticky as a reference. I know the LFS have 3-4 of the species on that list available. I don't really want to add too different many species to start any way. I will probably stick with small Anubias, Java Fern, some form of Crypt, and some form of moss to start.

It is a betta and a ram in the same tank. I was very concerned, and have been watching it closesly. I have to honestly say that it is one well behaved betta. He pretty much leaves everyone alone. I've been watching closely. At the first sign of aggressiveness or fin damage and he's out of there. The ram gets harrassed more by the Molly than anything else. No nipping though.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Onkore; 07-09-2012 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: wording
Onkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Not sure about two of your plants in the upper tank, the one on the far right I have never seen before and the one on the middle left looks like mondo grass, if so its not a true aquatic plant and may not last very long submerged.

Anubias, cryptocorynes, java ferns, java moss all good easy low tech plants.
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkore View Post
Hoppy- you think that is too much light for the 20 gallon or the 10 gallon? I'm a little intimidated by CO2 right now. Would Flourish Excel get me by until I can do some more research on CO2?

Trickerie- I'm not opposed to adding ferts. I haven't decided on a method yet, but knew that I would need to. The SafeTSorb was the best option available to me locally without going with dirt. I don't have a list yet, but I am planning on using the plant list on the sticky as a reference. I know the LFS have 3-4 of the species on that list available. I don't really want to add too different many species to start any way. I will probably stick with small Anubias, Java Fern, some form of Crypt, and some form of moss to start.

It is a betta and a ram in the same tank. I was very concerned, and have been watching it closesly. I have to honestly say that it is one well behaved betta. He pretty much leaves everyone alone. I've been watching closely. At the first sign of aggressiveness or fin damage and he's out of there. The ram gets harrassed more by the Molly than anything else. No nipping though.

Thanks for the input.
Mollies are punks, territorial for their family..
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie

Lol yes, but fortunately you don't have a breeding pair of rams in there. If so, id be highly concerned for the safety of the molly and betta haha. Rams are fierce swimmers and can outright kill a fish if they wanted to, just watch how effortless they glide around the water. Ive seen a male ram kill a tetra in one swipe when it came too close to its breeding grounds.
Trickerie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.