Tharsis' 75 gallon - The Rhode Island Chapter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Tharsis' 75 gallon - The Rhode Island Chapter

FTS 12-29-2012

FTS 12-01-2012

FTS 09-04-2012

FTS 07-10-2012

FTS 07-05-2012

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I have maintained a 75 gallon in Colorado and then Indiana over the last few years with pretty much the same set-up.

Here is the link to that thread.

Unfortunately on my most recent move to Rhode Island, all my fish died and I had to abandon my hardscape, so that means I get to have a complete fresh start!

I have gone almost exclusively wood in my scapes and I am thinking that I would like to venture into the world of stone. There is a ton of rock (glacial till) in the woods around my house so I think I may incorporate that. I am thinking the traditional cliffs with the path between them kind of scape.

I am going to go low maintenance on this version, mostly anubias, HM and java fern. Maybe some crypts...not sure yet. But I want it to be dramatic but simple.

I think I will do fire red shrimp and a single small schooling fish like black neons...or harlequin raspboras.

I am probably going rock hunting this afternoon, will post the results!

Last edited by tharsis; 12-29-2012 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: added a photo
tharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Sorry to hear about what happened. I just started playing Diablo 3 so I haven't been on this forum much :X! So your fish ended up dying from the heat? That's really sad that you had to ditch your driftwood as well. What happened to them? Did you just put them in a dump somewhere :O? I woulda paid for them .

How did rock hunting go?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

Ah diablo 3 claims another victim.

My guess is partially the heat and partially the extra eight hours in the bags with no water change/oxygenation is what did them in. It was a real bummer but I am excited for the next tank. I don't think I will be moving fish again any time soon. The next time I move I will just sell everything.

The wood was left in the garage, hope the landlord didn't mind haha. It was a final hour decision to leave it behind. There was literally not an inch of space left in either the truck or the van...it was crazy.

I did get the rocks and I piled them all into the tank and it is mostly planted. I ran out of steam halfway through so I didn't finish it off. I have two islands with tons of anubias and HM as the foreground. I can't find my camera though so no pics yet...

Last edited by tharsis; 07-09-2012 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: added stuff
tharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #4
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Sorry on your loss of fish, congrats on the new scape, can't wait to see it.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

thanks, its very different than what I am used to. I have always done wood scapes so I had to get out of my comfort zone a bit with this tank. I think I accomplished what I set-out to do with the tank, just need to let it fill in!

and I need to find my dang camera...I hate moving!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharsis View Post
Ah diablo 3 claims another victim.

My guess is partially the heat and partially the extra eight hours in the bags with no water change/oxygenation is what did them in. It was a real bummer but I am excited for the next tank. I don't think I will be moving fish again any time soon. The next time I move I will just sell everything.

The wood was left in the garage, hope the landlord didn't mind haha. It was a final hour decision to leave it behind. There was literally not an inch of space left in either the truck or the van...it was crazy.

I did get the rocks and I piled them all into the tank and it is mostly planted. I ran out of steam halfway through so I didn't finish it off. I have two islands with tons of anubias and HM as the foreground. I can't find my camera though so no pics yet...
Yeah... the addiction. And hm.. I feel like they woulda had a better time if you put the fish into 1gallon jugs. My drive wasn't 8 hours, but the 5 hours in traffic from NJ to CT went perfectly fine. I put like 2 fish per gallon jug with a little plant. THE POOR WOOD LEFT BEHIND!!! . Must've had some really nice ones as well. Got any pictures of the moving process? I'd like to see how full your cars were :P!

Take your time with the pictures man. Get settled down in your new house first!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

I actually had them in large bags for the first day and then transfered them all to a large rubbermaid tote with 50% fresh water and I oxygenated overnight in the hotel. The plan was to do the same thing the next night but we didn't get into the hotel until 3am, as opposed to 7 pm like we planned...so by that time they were toast.

The would stings too, but I am sure I will find some awesome pieces on the beaches here.

no pics of the truck and van but believe me they were fully loaded! I wouldn't have been able to squeeze a baseball in!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Yea I like to see how you would've packed though. Guys have a better spatial sense when it comes to packing :P.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

lol, yeah it is a disaster when my wife packs. I kind of enjoy packing, I see it as a jigsaw puzzle, or a crazy horizontal game of tetris...
It gets pretty crazy when you get to the sofas and lazy-boys.

So I took some pics of the tank tonight. I used a camcorder because I still can't find my camera

Once the tank and plants stabilize, I plan on keeping the anubias trimmed. i am going to trim all the older bigger leaves and let all the small leaves dominate.

I plan on having the HM come in pretty thick in the foreground, not sure if I should keep the center valley unplanted...that will be something to deal with later. I also have a bunch of stems behind the rock piles that will add some height.

The more I think about it, the more I want to have it as a PFR shrimp tank.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Great looking scape and go for that shrimp tank!
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

Amazing!
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

Thanks! It was fun lugging those rocks out of the woods haha. I think I made 5-6 trips with the dogs.

Its hard to see in these pics but the rocks have some really neat textures, and they are slightly iridescent green. I will try to get some better pics of the rocks themselves...when I find my camera grrr.

The more I think about it, the more I want to have the painted fire reds in this tank. I will start with a fairly large colony and when they are established I will introduce a small schooling fish.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

How did you clean those rocks? Looks really nice! Did you super glue the anubias down before hand?

You can definitely go PFR's and mosquito rasboras, unless you prefer larger fish. Or.. if you don't want so much red in one place

Old 07-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

Thanks! I just hosed the rocks down and scrubbed off the spider eggs etc haha.

They were pretty clean to begin with, alot of loose rubble and rocks in the area. I wedged the big rhizomes between rocks where I could and glued the smaller ones where I couldn't.

Yeah the mosquito raspboras would be too red...I want a bit of contrast from the shrimp. My initial inclination was harlequins or even black neon tetras...but they are a little too plain. Some scissortail rainbows would be cool but I think that would break the bank...

Atleast i have some time to think it over
Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Glofish @_@?

I'd watch parameters over a week, mainly gH and kH. Those rocks might be raising those slowly.