Animal Planet's "Tanked" TV Show - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > Other Websites

Old 06-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #31
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

i like watching the show even though i never really thought of what goes on behind the scenes. like how they cycle or build and such. on tv it seems like they take good care of it. the one thing i learned though was that that fish warehouse in LA where they make their purchases...i'd like to go there one day if i can haha i wonder if its open for general public.
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #32
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

I saw in one of the episodes they mentioned seeding the tank with nitrifying bacteria and biological media that has already been cycled. At least this new season they're throwing a bone to some of us that say "hey, you cant toss 3 sharks in an aquarium without cycling it first!"
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #33
fresh.salty
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
the one thing i learned though was that that fish warehouse in LA where they make their purchases...i'd like to go there one day if i can haha i wonder if its open for general public.
Most if not all of those are limited to their customer base. I work at one and we won't even let a customer in until they have been pre-screened as a true potential customer. The easier it is to get in the less likely it is to find good stuff.

I do mostly fish. 2-3 shipments some days of 15-20 boxes from 3 different countries. Sounds like fun until you have to cut open 100's of small bags of green chromis or damsels. lol

I prefer doing the corals but it doesn't take much expertise to float and tank those. lol
fresh.salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #34
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

The one things you don't see are the most important. I'm sure when they set up these tanks, the gravel and filter media are pre cycled and ready to go. You can't just toss some fish into a tank and hope it works. I'm sure they know that if they are running a multi million dollar company. But overall the show is pretty cool. Shows you the rediculous things you can make a fish tank out of lol
Old 06-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #35
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

ive only seen a few episodes and they noticibly leave in only the fun parts... none of the cycling, water pumping, and gruling less glamourous work that goes into the hobby for sure. Can anyone tell me if they broadcast these shows online? hulu? etc..?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #36
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
ive only seen a few episodes and they noticibly leave in only the fun parts... none of the cycling, water pumping, and gruling less glamourous work that goes into the hobby for sure. Can anyone tell me if they broadcast these shows online? hulu? etc..?
No Hulu. lol Tanked was one of the reasons I kept the dish! VERY dissapointed this season tho... too much filler
TheNamelessPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #37
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

There is a new one too called Fish Tank Kings on Nat-Geo. Seen the first one, same idea. They do a big tank for the Miami baseball team right behind the catchers mound.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #38
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

As for the show, ya they leave out the stuff we consider good but it's for TV. It's like any reality show. They can't show everything that fits in, just the stuff to keep people watching. No one wants to watch 43 minutes of a tank sitting there cycling doing nothing or 43 minutes of them testing the water for salt content and pH.

Do you want to watch 43 minutes of a beef wellington cooking in the oven or watch 3 minutes of it cooking and Ramsay yelling at the people for the rest. lol. It's what makes good tv in our society.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #39
Yamaz
Planted Member

Watch the episode with the pinball game turned into a fish tank and the beer keg tank episode. I think they need to work on their aquascaping skills. HORRIBLE!
Yamaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #40
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I'm sorry, what is TV??? You know..., I only have my son, my wife, my crops, my backyard, my bonsais, some orchids, friends, myself and a couple of planted shrimp tanks to watch and care for in my "free" time.
Lol!!

That show is lame as well as most shows.

Seriously, most tv shows are an insult and a threat to human potential and intellect (IMO). And unfortunately often cultivates disrespect to other species lives (and of course to our own). I much rather kill some time in forums a learn some nerdy stuff when I'm not busy with work or all of what I mentioned above.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #41
ony
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
I much rather kill some time in forums a learn some nerdy stuff when I'm not busy with work or all of what I mentioned above.
+1 appart from Game of Thrones. Once the next series comes out I will be glued to it every week.
ony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #42
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I like it, I'm big into diy so if I can learn anything about building an acrylic tank I'm in. There style may not fit mine but I certainly like the fish and I think what most of us don't understand these guy are installing tanks into peoples homes that for the most part have no idea how to maintain them, that's why you don't see real corals etc. they are just too labor intensive and the maintenance package cost too much and is never ending.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #43
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

this show is dumb thats what i think.
the only part worth watching is how they build the tank but sadly they dont show much about it.
another thing is, these buyer are paying huge buck and yet the tank is trash looking.
poor fish choice, most of the tank is overstock (the freshwater tank)
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic tank, animal planet tanked, salt water tanks, tanked tv show