Suga Shack - 55 gallon - Where is my algae hiding? :( (56K) - Page 196
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #2926
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Algae is a natural life cycle. It'll clear up when you pick back up maintenance. I wouldn't worry about it unless your plants start to suffer. Look at it as free food. I'll tell you my secret to controlling algae, but don't spread it around.

It is this: I quit listening to everyone's well-intentioned advice especially the experts and started experimenting on my own. I went old school. Searched actual scientific articles on growing plants (above water and aquatic). Learned the basics of how light, co2, temperature and nutrients play a role in the health of both plants and algae. I focused on how to grow algae, not how to eliminate it. I set up little jars of different alga (singular for algae, by the way), manipulated nutrients, co2, lighting, water quality, etc one a time and observed. I came up with a hypothesis like "Nitrogen causes BBA to spike when it is abundant supply" and did exactly that and observed. If the hypothesis failed, I started over with a new idea. If the hypothesis worked, I repeated it over and over again to make sure it didn't fail. At that point I came up with it being a theory. Not fact, but plausible. It was lots of fun and I learned a lot about how algae grows, what you can do to limit it's growth and how to grow healthy plants with minimal water column dosing. This essentially was my goal even for higher lit tanks as our water quality sucks so bad the city was fined recently by the EPA and I can't afford nor want an RO filter. Probably more than you wanted me to say, but there it is.

Hydrocotyle sp 'Japan' is what it was given to me as. Lovely, lovely plant grows everywhere is invasive even. If you ever want to try it, I'll hook you up.
Nice. I'm going to have to go through your journal to see the results of this. The algae definitely wiped out some of my plants. Luckily, my algae situation has gotten better now and it keeps my ottos very fat and happy so I don't mind it as much anymore.

Oooooh would you hook me up with the Hydrocotyle sp 'Japan' too if you have more to spare? I can give you some java fern in exchange. I have 3 kinds that you can choose from

Old 07-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #2927
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

What are you dosing now after all your experiments Sara? I'm scared to dose my tanks because whenever I start I end up getting algae.

I'll grab second place in line for some crypt runners, and downoi and hydrocotyle sp. japan (and whatever else is growing out of control for you like your stems ) . I lost my hydrocotyle when I lost my stem plants. We will have too do a trade again, even though I don't know if I have anything different... I could use a thinning on my crypts sometime.
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #2928
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

great updates!!! I don't know HOW i missed your previous one either! I too am in love with that crypt and would like to formally put my name in line to receive a runner if ever you have enough that you are willing to part with some (don't part with the whole plant, it adds a really nice bit of color and contrast where it is situated in your tank!!!)

Also the moss wall is looking FANTASTIC!!! DO NOT TOUCH IT!!! LOL It's really looking great, I can't believe how evenly it's growing in! LOVE IT!

And boy do I love those shrimpies!!! They are SOOOOO yellow now! GORGEOUS.

I really like that hydrocotyle that vicki was commenting on too but last time you sent me some it didn't fair well in my tanks for some reason. Sigh. maybe once I get the stocking up higher in the 10 and/or 30g so there is more natural fertilizer I will try it again, might have grown too fast for the amount of nutrients in my tank. Not sure.

Anyway, the tank is looking outstanding Thanks for the updates! love them!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #2929
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

LOL guys. Chad sells this crypt, go stalk him. Tell him I said "Hi!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
WOW LOOKING GREAT!!!!

SHRIMP ARE SUPER YELLOW!!! AWESOME!!! I need to go back and read the last few pages that I have missed being gone soo much this summer! But been up all nite with upset stomach, so I'm a bit tired now!

Looking Great !!!
Drew
Hi Drew! Hope today has you feeling better. Nothing like the old plumbing issues to screw up your night. My yellows are fed algae, they do well because it's the equivalent of Pop-Eye's Spinach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICfish View Post
Nice. I'm going to have to go through your journal to see the results of this. The algae definitely wiped out some of my plants. Luckily, my algae situation has gotten better now and it keeps my ottos very fat and happy so I don't mind it as much anymore.

Oooooh would you hook me up with the Hydrocotyle sp 'Japan' too if you have more to spare? I can give you some java fern in exchange. I have 3 kinds that you can choose from
I found once I accepted algae as a part of the life cycle, I enjoyed my tanks a lot more. In the 55, I only have occasional spot algae or a tuft or two of clado. If you gathered it all up it seriously wouldn't surmount to a 1/2 teaspoon. I'm pretty happy. The otos are great workers.

I'm up for trades, but not in this heat. It won't be until it breaks that could be weeks or months away. Apparently, we are having record breaking heat. I walk outside and feel like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
What are you dosing now after all your experiments Sara? I'm scared to dose my tanks because whenever I start I end up getting algae.

I'll grab second place in line for some crypt runners, and downoi and hydrocotyle sp. japan (and whatever else is growing out of control for you like your stems ) . I lost my hydrocotyle when I lost my stem plants. We will have too do a trade again, even though I don't know if I have anything different... I could use a thinning on my crypts sometime.
See above on trades. PM me in a few months, like fall. Want to feel annoyed with me? As an experiment, I put about $50 worth of downoi in my super low lit tank and am currently watching it wither away to nothing. Oops.

As far as dosing - some are solely substrate like the 15 gallon of goodies. The 55 is 99% substrate with a boost of water column dosing sporadically, maybe a few times a month. One is just fish poo since the lights are pathetic and not much more than microsword, subwassertang, hornwort, hydrocotyle and moss live there. And lots of diatoms that I like to scrape off and toss into the 55 to watch the ottos go into a feeding frenzy.

Honestly, every tank is different depending on maintenance, lighting co2, etc. Trying to use a particular fertilizer in one tank may not work for another. What are your problems? Is the growth slow, deficient or is it just the algae? Sit down think about what are the main issues and we can go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
great updates!!! I don't know HOW i missed your previous one either! I too am in love with that crypt and would like to formally put my name in line to receive a runner if ever you have enough that you are willing to part with some (don't part with the whole plant, it adds a really nice bit of color and contrast where it is situated in your tank!!!)

Also the moss wall is looking FANTASTIC!!! DO NOT TOUCH IT!!! LOL It's really looking great, I can't believe how evenly it's growing in! LOVE IT!

And boy do I love those shrimpies!!! They are SOOOOO yellow now! GORGEOUS.

I really like that hydrocotyle that vicki was commenting on too but last time you sent me some it didn't fair well in my tanks for some reason. Sigh. maybe once I get the stocking up higher in the 10 and/or 30g so there is more natural fertilizer I will try it again, might have grown too fast for the amount of nutrients in my tank. Not sure.

Anyway, the tank is looking outstanding Thanks for the updates! love them!
Kara, I have lots of babies with your name on it of various crypts and some shrimpers for the fall. I'll take your death of hydrocotyle and match it with the hygro you sent me.

Did you ever trim your wall? I'm hearing some do and others don't. I plan to extend the java wall as I get babies. I'm have another few new ideas up my sleeve that I'm hoping will work out. If so, it will be epic.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #2930
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I found once I accepted algae as a part of the life cycle, I enjoyed my tanks a lot more. In the 55, I only have occasional spot algae or a tuft or two of clado. If you gathered it all up it seriously wouldn't surmount to a 1/2 teaspoon. I'm pretty happy. The otos are great workers.

I'm up for trades, but not in this heat. It won't be until it breaks that could be weeks or months away. Apparently, we are having record breaking heat. I walk outside and feel like this:
Yeah it's too hot for me here too. By the time it cools down I may even have more to offer you

Again, love your tanks!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #2931
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Quote:
Kara, I have lots of babies with your name on it of various crypts and some shrimpers for the fall. I'll take your death of hydrocotyle and match it with the hygro you sent me.
WOOHOO! also, fair enough! If you want to try the sunset hygro again, just let me know

Quote:
Did you ever trim your wall? I'm hearing some do and others don't. I plan to extend the java wall as I get babies. I'm have another few new ideas up my sleeve that I'm hoping will work out. If so, it will be epic.
I did trim my wall, once. I wouldn't have except that in a 5g tank, it was taking up the whole tank Actually, the wall never really recovered after the trim if I remember correctly, though, I think the severe neglect of that tank also began shortly after the trim, so it's hard to say whether I'm to blame for neglect or for the trim I think if the betta does well in the 10g and make this just a shrimp tank, I won't bother trimming the wall, but if I need to make room for a fish to swim, I will try to keep it trimmed, but change up how I do it. I think I will not remove the wall to do the trim, but rather try to do the trim with the wall in place.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #2932
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Very interesting reading Sara! Moss wall looks great, that's Christmas moss, not Java, right? And the yellow shrimp are fabulous, I wish I had WV water here!

The little Crypt is indeed a C. lucens, which according to Kasselmann is a synonym of C. x willisii. Reminds me, they have taken over my tank again, time to sell some off.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #2933
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

LIC - javas if you have anything interesting is great. I'm looking for windelove or however that is spelled and some others.

Kara, I'll keep that in mind. I was thinking about trimming a small section to see what happens. That betta might like the moss wall untrimmed. My betta loves nestling in the hydrocotyle ball I threw in there.

Thanks for the id confirmation, WP! It's either Christmas or Taiwan. I was sold/given both but they look identical to me, so I really don't know. If you can keep reds, yellows would be no issue for you. I'll be glad to send you some in the fall. I put a few outside to breed, so I should have plenty.

Speaking of your tank, when are we going to see updates?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #2934
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

A small section might not be a bad idea to see how it goes In your higher light tank, it might bounce back fast enough not to make much of a difference. And again, it could have been a combination of neglect that caused mine to do not-so-great post trim

That is a good point about the betta, they do like nice slow moving water and things to rest on. In fact, I know they don't love empty tanks which is why I tossed some sunset hygro and that other hygro into the tank for him we'll see how it goes
Old 07-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #2935
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

I'll have to get a picture of the little miss next time. She usually comes out wiggling anytime I get near the tank. I'll see how it goes and let you know on the wall. Right now, I'm not touching it. After three attempts, I want to see if it still grows for a while, lol.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #2936
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Quote:
I'll have to get a picture of the little miss next time. She usually comes out wiggling anytime I get near the tank. :hihi
Love it!!! i'd love to see a picture if you can get it

Quote:
I'll see how it goes and let you know on the wall. Right now, I'm not touching it. After three attempts, I want to see if it still grows for a while, lol.
HAHAHAHA totally understandable! I'd definitely let that baby grow out a while first!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #2937
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Quote:
That is a good point about the betta, they do like nice slow moving water and things to rest on. In fact, I know they don't love empty tanks which is why I tossed some sunset hygro and that other hygro into the tank for him we'll see how it goes
they often seem to enjoy squeezing themselves into tight spaces. i have had several who would spend a lot of time wedged in a hole in this piece of driftwood i have. and almost all loved to vanish into the stem plants.
and sometimes they do weird things. i have one female who will turn herself so she is vertical and facind downward, and press herself into the corner of the glass and divider, letting the flow through the divider stick her to it. she'll stay like this, tail partially out of the water, and curl upwards for air every night while sleeping. first time i saw this i thought she was dead, then as i came closer she noticed me and swam to the feeding spot to beg for food.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #2938
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Your moss wall does look great and it may be the best I've ever seen, I've owned Christmas, Peacock, and Taiwan and I would say it is definitely Christmas Moss but Chad is the real moss guru.

I think the way you constructed the wall with the plastic and steel let in more light and the moss is not only growing well but looks extremely healthy. Is that mesh stainless steel, it looks so light against the plastic?

Now you've insrired me to redo mine, I used a single piece of the green plastic mesh to hide the mesh easier and I cut out every other web and crochet the moss on to it because most people were trying 2 pieces of mesh but it blocks too much light, I also used green plastic paper clips to hang the wall from the rim of the tank to eliminate seeing the suction cups but besides that your system is the ultimate way to go, nice job.

Last edited by 150EH; 07-06-2012 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: spelling
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #2939
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Love it!!! i'd love to see a picture if you can get it

HAHAHAHA totally understandable! I'd definitely let that baby grow out a while first!
I was trying to get a picture for days and then I notice the baby red claw that was put into the tank getting beaten up by the other red claw had clipped her tail. So I gently netted her out and alley-oop! she got a new home in the 55. Now she gets to pick on yellow shrimp. But she is much happier in her mansion and I'm keeping her stuffed full of flakes to minimize the carnage. She spent the first evening glaring at the other betta (her reflection) and puffing up ready to fight. It was too cute.

And then I noticed the fact that my last apisto is mia. I really hope he was hiding and not eaten by the red claw. Bad shrimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
they often seem to enjoy squeezing themselves into tight spaces. i have had several who would spend a lot of time wedged in a hole in this piece of driftwood i have. and almost all loved to vanish into the stem plants.
and sometimes they do weird things. i have one female who will turn herself so she is vertical and facind downward, and press herself into the corner of the glass and divider, letting the flow through the divider stick her to it. she'll stay like this, tail partially out of the water, and curl upwards for air every night while sleeping. first time i saw this i thought she was dead, then as i came closer she noticed me and swam to the feeding spot to beg for food.
Adorable! I love bettas for their quirky personalities! They just make me smile and every time I swear off of them when one passes (you really get attached to these little ones) inevitably one will catch my eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Your moss wall does look great and it may be the best I've ever seen, I've owned Christmas, Peacock, and Taiwan and I would say it is definitely Christmas Moss but Chad is the real moss guru.

I think the way you constructed the wall with the plastic and steel let in more light and the moss is not only growing well but looks extremely healthy. Is that mesh stainless steel, it looks so light against the plastic?

Now you've insrired me to redo mine, I used a single piece of the green plastic mesh to hide the mesh easier and I cut out every other web and crochet the moss on to it because most people were trying 2 pieces of mesh but it blocks too much light, I also used green plastic paper clips to hang the wall from the rim of the tank to eliminate seeing the suction cups but besides that your system is the ultimate way to go, nice job.
Thanks, 150eh. I am thinking that you are right. They are supposed to be two different mosses, but so far they look identical in growth and shape. I plan to eventually put a few pieces under the scope.

I used this (picture from Lowes.com and idea from Kara):

and this (source is about.com):

The sandwich of two needle point plastic mesh ended up in disaster. The gutter guard only (even though many have great success) kept rolling off the table and wasn't too sturdy (I'm a klutz). Then, the idea of using both materials made so much sense to me. Sturdiness of the plastic mesh and the thinner material without worrying about the thread breaking (as the reclaws snipped it right down the first try, lol). I pointed all the fronds down (idea from another member.) Takes a long time, but it seems to help it look better. Only took three attempts.

Great idea on the paper clip hangers! I'm so going to try that when I eventually do a trim. Only area that isn't growing well is directly below the brace, but only for about 2 - 3 inches. Trying to figure out what to do in that instance. Any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #2940
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
LIC - javas if you have anything interesting is great. I'm looking for windelove or however that is spelled and some others
Yup I have that. I also have needle and the regular