DIY LED FAQ - Where to begin? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
BS87
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rochester
Posts: 218
Default

In the optics section, it says "Will optics increase my PAR?" And the answer you have is "reflectors will not"etc etc, which is correct, but the question needs to read reflectors and not optics. Tighter beam angle optics will increase PAR in a given area.
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
jcgd
Wannabe Guru
 
jcgd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,985
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Default

Modularled.ca for a Canadian supplier.

Excellent write up. Can you add a post for build links?
jcgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
theblondskeleton's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS87 View Post
In the optics section, it says "Will optics increase my PAR?" And the answer you have is "reflectors will not"etc etc, which is correct, but the question needs to read reflectors and not optics. Tighter beam angle optics will increase PAR in a given area.
Gotcha - will edit ASAP. Thanks, that is exactly the kind of correction that needs to happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
Modularled.ca for a Canadian supplier.

Excellent write up. Can you add a post for build links?
Great idea! I'll add it to the Other Helpful Links post in its own section. There are a lot of great builds here on TPT that are very helpful - including yours!

Thanks for the vendor link - I'll add it in!
EDIT - Done! Send me your Build Links, and I'll tack them into the list!

Last edited by theblondskeleton; 07-05-2012 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Added Comment
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
theblondskeleton's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
nice write up. I found this http://reefledlights.com/how-to-diy-led/ for some good tips when DIY. alot of good stuff even though it intended for reefs
Good one - I'm not personally pleased with the layout pattern on that one, but it does show a good process. I'll add it in!
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
fenderfreek
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 17
Default

I have a setup that I built with parts from StevesLEDs.com. The site's info and kits are more reef-oriented, but he sells all the appropriate LED's and drivers for building your own FW lighting. Prices are very good, and he has very easy to follow instructions for building and wiring your fixture.

A friend of mine bought one of his drop-in retrofit kits for his Biocube from there and had a good experience with it, so I decided to buy components from there and build my own FW setup. I have 8 6300K and 6 5000K Luxeon's mounted on a single tube with a dual driver board, and am currently putting together a controller for it to do all the dimming and on/off for me.
fenderfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #21
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
theblondskeleton's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderfreek View Post
I have a setup that I built with parts from StevesLEDs.com. The site's info and kits are more reef-oriented, but he sells all the appropriate LED's and drivers for building your own FW lighting. Prices are very good, and he has very easy to follow instructions for building and wiring your fixture.

A friend of mine bought one of his drop-in retrofit kits for his Biocube from there and had a good experience with it, so I decided to buy components from there and build my own FW setup. I have 8 6300K and 6 5000K Luxeon's mounted on a single tube with a dual driver board, and am currently putting together a controller for it to do all the dimming and on/off for me.
Excellent - Do you have a build thread? Vendor added to the list!
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #22
h2oaggie
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
h2oaggie's Avatar
 
PTrader: (22/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 688
Default

Build thread for my 30" LED in my signature.
__________________
h2oaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #23
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
O2surplus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: yorba linda, ca.
Posts: 591
Default

Here's some useful information on two of the more popular chips available for DIY led drivers. Plus links for the Freeware version of the EAGLE design software, http://www.cadsoftusa.com/downloads/?language=en
and a link to SeeedStudio for PCB manufacturing.http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/services-c-185.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAT4101-D.pdf (153.8 KB, 197 views)
File Type: pdf LM3409.pdf (985.5 KB, 207 views)
__________________
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #24
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
theblondskeleton's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oaggie View Post
Build thread for my 30" LED in my signature.
Added! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
Here's some useful information on two of the more popular chips available for DIY led drivers. Plus links for the Freeware version of the EAGLE design software, http://www.cadsoftusa.com/downloads/?language=en
and a link to SeeedStudio for PCB manufacturing.http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/services-c-185.html
Excellent - thanks for the additions! I'll link this into the appropriate sections, and add the links to the Additional Info section.
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #25
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (74/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whickerda View Post
Sticky
I agree, 100% and it should replace http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=84212 which has become very obsolete. Just because something becomes a sticky shouldn't mean it remains one forever.
__________________
Hoppy
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #26
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
theblondskeleton's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I agree, 100% and it should replace http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=84212 which has become very obsolete. Just because something becomes a sticky shouldn't mean it remains one forever.
Thanks for the votes of confidence! I'm just really glad people are finding it useful. I've been a bit of a leech on this site for years. It feels good to give back a bit. The subject area isn't terribly hard to understand - with the exception perhaps of some of the engineering issues - but the info isn't all in one place and that made doing research pretty cumbersome. With the right foundation, I think many people can do this.

Plus, it really is a lot of fun!
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #27
makutaku
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sammamish WA
Posts: 41
Thumbs up

Thanks theblondskeleton!

I wish there was a thread like this one 3 weeks ago when I started !

This definitely should be sticky!
makutaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #28
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
theblondskeleton's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by makutaku View Post
Thanks theblondskeleton!

I wish there was a thread like this one 3 weeks ago when I started !

This definitely should be sticky!
Thanks! I do too - that's why I put it together, haha... Even if it isn't sticky-worthy, it's a good place to start. I'm doing my best to put as much info in one place as possible.

More info added today in the wiring section! Please let me know if there is anything in which I erred egregiously. It's possible.
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #29
jcgd
Wannabe Guru
 
jcgd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,985
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Default

It's sticky worthy, it will just take a little bit to happen. One of the best lighting guides on the forum.
jcgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #30
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
theblondskeleton's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 545
Default

Added some emitter data for some popular models. Let me know if there are others we should include!
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012