What substrate to use
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
chowdan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What substrate to use

Hey guys

got a new hood with a 17w T8 in it for my 29G.

Looking for a substrate that would be better than just regular gravel? I currently have a red cap oranda goldie and a chinese algae eater.

I plan on planting some more "thicker" leaf plants and am thinking the gravel would not be a good choice for general health?

Any tips on a cheap soil would be great?

Also links to different posts about converting a regular tank to a planted one would be greaT!!!!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Your chinese algae eater is gonna start sucking slime off your red cap oranda goldie when it gets older most likely.....
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
chowdan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
Your chinese algae eater is gonna start sucking slime off your red cap oranda goldie when it gets older most likely.....
I have heard that many times, though i have never seen it. It is a concern for me but i've had it for nearly a year and its larger than the goldie and have not seen any signs of that.

Have you seen this happen though?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

i can semi vouch for this in LFS tanks but not in my own tank (at least not yet). i am a huge fan of the lower tech. what i used is 1'' to 1.5'' of fine play sand and about 1.5'' of sand about 1mm grains. to have both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. then i plan to use osmocote plus fertilizer to keep my plants healthy. personally, i just find enriched substrates to be too expensive (i have a 40 gallon tank). i have seen some people with just play sand who have grown beautiful aquascapes.
http://www.theplantedtankfaq.com/substrateFAQ.html
this says you won't need anything too fancy unless you want it of course. good luck setting your tank up
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
nicks7.1985
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

you really might want to try the soil that you mentioned ...i have seen and heard of ppl buying a cheap top soil or digging some up in the yard dumping it in with a sand cap or gravel or w/e and haveing no problems ..not really talking about the walstad method of which i know very little about.

or you could go to home depot and buy the cheapest top soil you can find lol ..its like $1.50 for a 40 pound bag...and mineralize it by wetting and drying it out on a tarp/trash bags and rinsing it (theres a thread probly in substrate on how to do it from Aaron Talbot i think).

I can say that it has worked for me(so far) ..i just finished mineralizing it after about 10-14 days and the few plants that i have in there now are doing amazing under low light..i can see the growth each day. its a 55gal with 54watts T5 HO . you should look into soil..it might be for you ..plus its super cheap to do. for me $14 for potash and dolomite (lots left over too), $3 for two bags top soil, 50 lbs pool filter sand $6 ...this covered the 55 gal 1-2 inches before the sand.
good luck!
nicks7.1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
nicks7.1985
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=152027

here it is for MTS
nicks7.1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.