plant suggestions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
clayman65
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

plant suggestions

Have a 36 gal bowfront, 2 bulb T5NO fixture (38 watts total), eco-complete substrate. Right now I have some anubius nana and java ferns tied to rocks in the midground, a big and few small crypt wendtii planted in the substrate midground. Have some hornwort that used to be planted in the background but now am letting it float. Only background plant is a small Amazon Sword in the back corner.

Looking for suggestions for background plants? Maybe Jungle Val? Any others that I should look into?

And what about forground plants?

Thanks.
clayman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

background plants i like brazilian pennywort. its a stem plant that can be grown floating, planted, or emersed. it grows very fast and sucks nitrate/ammonia very quickly as well. i had some in my tank and i had to prune it within a week and i have no CO2 or ferts. propagation is easy, just by removing the stem above a node. thats one that i have worked with. others are great too. i have sunset hygro but that is a plant that is restricted in some states so if you wanted that you would have to check your state's requirments. its a quick grower and i was told it was low light as well.

forground, i am using staurogyne repens and am going to get in some dwarf and pygmy swords as well. others could be dwarf hair grass, micro sword, glossostigma, and marsilea minuta off the top of my head. dont know the requiremts of those plants though. i have only s. repens
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
nicks7.1985
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

i just set up a low light tank too..a 55gal no co2. plants i was thinking of for it include
floaters---frogbit
foreground---MM (marsilea minuta)
mid ground---crypts,java fern,mosses,anubias,hygrophila compact
background---hygro angustifolia or tiger, cryptocoryne balansae (this is a nice one), vals (jungle or italian)
nicks7.1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
FriendsNotFood
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Crypt parva makes a great foreground too if you plant tons of it from the start.
FriendsNotFood is offline   Reply With Quote