Need ideas and advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
fredg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Need ideas and advice

Well, I wanted to build a rain forest type terrarium with a decent space of deep water that leads into shallow water and onto land. I need advice on what critters could possible go in there. I know I want tree frogs but what else can exist and thrive? I'm planing on having some type of water fall feature that would kinda run over the leaves and into the water.

I have a 20L, 40Breeder, a 45 pentagon corner 22x22x25-26 that I thought might make a good one, I have a 20H, and can get a 29 or possible a 55 (don't know if I Want to go that big). I was thinking something maybe low maintenance but it doesn't have to be.
fredg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
kuni
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Deep water and tree frogs are a bad combination. Sorry.
kuni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
CatB
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

yeah, tree frogs are really great at drowning. not a good idea unless you make it absolutely impossible for them to get to the water (glass divider or something, like a tank on a tank).
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
fredg
Algae Grower

Ok well is there any type of tropical rain forest animals that can go together? I wanted a water feature, but if I just have to make it with having deep water in the tank then I will. That's why I'm looking for Ideas.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
CatB
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredg View Post
Ok well is there any type of tropical rain forest animals that can go together? I wanted a water feature, but if I just have to make it with having deep water in the tank then I will. That's why I'm looking for Ideas.
i can't really think of any other "rain forest" animals that you could keep in a vivarium, except maybe some types of gecko, like a madagascar day gecko, or a satanic leaf tailed gecko (this is actually a thing), or something... but i don't know how well they would do with deep water either.
or maybe anoles. but yeah you'd have to have proper heating lamps for any reptile.
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
fredg
Algae Grower

Ok, let me ask this question then. Is there a way to have a water feature that runs down rocks and leaves and drains down into the bottom without risking the frogs to drowning?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
kuni
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

You can have a small waterfall, just not a deep pool at the bottom.
kuni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.