A few questions from a newbie
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Matthew RJ
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

A few questions from a newbie

Hello all, this looks like an interesting forum. I found a 15 page thread here that described people wrestling with the Fluval C02 system.

Before I get into that, let me give you some of my info.

I have a 30 gal, fish include roselines, a red tail shark, danios, tetras, & 3 angels. I know I'm probably pushing the capacity, but I've put on a aqua clear 70 filter and clean weekly.

There's a glorious piece of driftwood that I found last summer by a remote lake.

And of course ...plants. I have some vals in a corner, a sword up front, a crypt on the front right (which seemed to have split and started a new plant), and a small piece of driftwood in the back with I think java fern.

I tried the DIY C02 mix, but that never seemed to work right. I'm now looking at the Fluval 88, but my ideal would be to attack it to a 2.5 or 5 lb tank. I don't want to mess with their disposable bottles. I'm thinking Fluval has fixed it so that's not an option (if I read everything right on that 15 page thread!), and the only alternative is to buy the pieces separately. I'm going to have to keep reading on this.

I've upgraded the light (sorry I can't tell you the watts). I had appropriate lights 2 years ago when I started with live plants. Two years later I knew something wasn't right and the plants looked sad. When I asked at the LFS I suspected they would sell me on C02. Instead the conversation started with lights. Lesson learned, though the light turns on, the spectrum the plants needs isn't working. That bulb was replaced and the plants are doing better. Better, but I know they could still do more.

The bedding is just plain gravel, however, I did mix in flourite. On my most recent trip to the LFS, I heard about the gravel heater. I'm in Canada, the cost here was $99. On our holiday to the US, I'm wondering if I might find it cheaper!

Finally I dose with Excel daily, and add flourish with a water change and mid week.

My questions:
1) What do I do for C02?
2) Is the gravel heater worth it and can it be added to an established tank? (I'm thinking I might have to drain 70%, move the fish, empty the tank, and restart. Sounds messy, but I don't see how else it could be done).
Matthew RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
thefishman84
Algae Grower

hello there,
I have heard an under grave heater is good for plants, and I have heard it has no effect. I have one in my 125 gal. aquarium and the plants do not seem to be reacting negatively to it. As far as installing it, you will probably have to empty the tank. Hopefully someone will have some ideas for the co2, I am still looking into it myself and dose excell m/w/f for now.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

The last I heard about gravel heating systems is that they are over rated. Not worth the investment.

I am more concerned about your fish selections:

Roselines get way too big for a 30 gallon. I have seen them at a plump and highly active 4" long. I would not keep them in anything smaller than about 4' long, which is usually about 45 gallon minimum.
Sharks (Red Tails and related fish) are usually more aggressive toward other shark shaped fish, so I would worry about your Roselines.
Angels are predatory fish, and can eat fish as large as an adult Neon Tetra, which makes me worry about your Danios (if they are Zebras or similar small Danios). They are also pair bonding, and the mated pair will usually claim all of a small tank, and will try to get all the other fish, especially Angels to leave the territory. A 30 is so small, I could easily see the Angels chasing or even attacking all the other fish.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Matthew RJ
Planted Member

I did have a tetra get eaten, but that was during spawning with the angels. I lost one of those angels and replaced it. I haven't seen eggs since.

I'll keep an eye on aggression and size, I know it's at capacity and I'm pushing the limits.

C02 - what are people's thoughts on: http://aquatek-california.com/co2-re...#single-outlet

Matthew RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
KenRC51
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew RJ View Post
I did have a tetra get eaten, but that was during spawning with the angels. I lost one of those angels and replaced it. I haven't seen eggs since.

I'll keep an eye on aggression and size, I know it's at capacity and I'm pushing the limits.

C02 - what are people's thoughts on: http://aquatek-california.com/co2-re...#single-outlet

I have one that same one and when buying that regulator they give you that bubble counter for free. The regulator works fine and the company has great customer services.

Tags
fluval, gravel heater, newbie questions