The weather in Nevada for shrimps
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Nevada

Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Samsonitius
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

The weather in Nevada for shrimps

Hi guys,

I will be attending a school in Las Vegas and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the input of the weather. Will I be able to have CRS w/o a chiller?

I know the temp is constantly over 100 degrees in the summer.
Samsonitius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
TeteRouge
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi!

I'm not sure how much this will help as it is somewhat general. I have no trouble keeping my 3 tanks at 78F year round, my 8 gal is 76F, it probably could drop another degree or 2 with evaporation. It has Cherry Shrimp in it, they seem to fine. That being said, I'm a total noob when it comes to shrimp.

You are not going to want to ever shut off your A/C anyway- my place is around 78 daytime, 75 night.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001
"Set your thermostat to 80 or there abouts... If you're of the habit of leaving off the AC during the day and turning it on when you get home you are not saving any money. I've heard it stated many times by home experts and utility companies to set your thermostat and let your AC run as needed. Your AC unit does not have to run as hard either as it would cooling down a hot house."

Quote: and by Teterouge
"I've lived in LV for many years and kept an aquarium (with varying success) for about 10. I totally agree with the above. As it was explained to me, after a few hours, everything in your house is 88, 90 or whatever, not just the air. So you have to cool not just the air in the house but all the warm "everything" else as well. Bump it up maybe 2-3 degrees if you want. Mine is programmed to go up a couple when I go to work and down a couple when I go to bed."
Here is a link to a thread which is much like your question. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...34#post1485634

Hopefully an experienced shrimp keeper will chime in! Welcome to town!
10g 3x divided Betta planted

Dana

LasVegas.Freshwater.Aquarists
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
texTical
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Yeah i keep mine about the same with the ac on and i set the tanks to about 72-75 and i have had a lot of success with my CRS in terms of breeding etc.
texTical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Here in Denver it's hot in the summer (mid 90's most days) and without a chiller it's hard to keep the tanks at 80 degrees. I can definitely tell that the neo shrimp slow down their breeding a lot when it's hot, but they otherwise seem to be ok.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
ddrfreak_tung
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

if you turn off your ac, i'd be more worried about yourself lol. the vegas heat i found to be unbearable.
ddrfreak_tung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.