6.6g New Dirty setup 56k Warning (No longer using dirt) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #16
Fortheloveofplants
Algae Grower
 
Fortheloveofplants's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Misissauga, On
Posts: 24
Default

I like the black gravel. A matching black Background cover would look cool.
__________________
Fortheloveofplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #17
rnaodm
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worcester, Ma
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortheloveofplants View Post
I like the black gravel. A matching black Background cover would look cool.
Thanks ill do something for a background, most likely black.
rnaodm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru
 
wkndracer's Avatar
 
PTrader: (68/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Citrus County,Florida
Posts: 6,180
Default

liking the black sub!
__________________
The Fraternity of Dirt
If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #19
rnaodm
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worcester, Ma
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
liking the black sub!


Thanks I picked up a fern and 3 small swords, looks much better. Still a little cloudy.

Unsure on what to do with the fern carpet. I might partly cover a small piece of cholla wood. Would look better then just the fern carpet.
rnaodm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware, OH
Posts: 417
Default

carpet is going to be hard with a setup w/o co2. HC or glosso would have issues, glosso was the carpet in that previous pic...
Ozydego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #21
rnaodm
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worcester, Ma
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozydego View Post
carpet is going to be hard with a setup w/o co2. HC or glosso would have issues, glosso was the carpet in that previous pic...
I plan on doing c02 just not exactly sure which setup yet
rnaodm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #22
rnaodm
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worcester, Ma
Posts: 92
Default



Hopefully hitting up a nice LFS tomorrow. One I've seen RCS at in the past. Still unsure on other fauna, including fish.

Camera is pretty limited on lighting settings so I cant really seem to shoot a perfect FTS.

also just noticed if you compare this pic with the one three days ago the plants are already noticeably larger, and the stemmed plants are already near the surface and growing roots half way up. Might have to trim already.

Last edited by rnaodm; 07-05-2012 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: add more
rnaodm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #23
deleted_user_17
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Usa
Posts: 260
Default

Good one changing the gravel. It looks loads better to me.

I agree about the black background too.

Subscribing as I have just started a small tank too and am interested to see how you progress.

Good luck with it all
__________________
deleted_user_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #24
rnaodm
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worcester, Ma
Posts: 92
Default

The lighting is extremely inefficient. The bulb is already starting to dim and the plants are all reaching
rnaodm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:37 AM   #25
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hilde's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mableton, GA
Posts: 4,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnaodm View Post
I plan on doing c02 just not exactly sure which setup yet
Would be easier to make a carpet with dwarf sagittarius plants.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #26
rnaodm
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worcester, Ma
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Would be easier to make a carpet with dwarf sagittarius plants.

Thanks Ill check that out atm Im a bit confused my light looks dim yet my plants are growing incredibly fast, a couple have grown three inches in five days.

Id say theyre just reaching but they look healthy.
rnaodm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #27
SaltyNC
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Lake Wylie NC
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnaodm View Post
Thanks Ill check that out atm Im a bit confused my light looks dim yet my plants are growing incredibly fast, a couple have grown three inches in five days.

Id say theyre just reaching but they look healthy.
Our tanks are very shallow, so even though the light is T8, it produces medium light near the bottom and high light near the top. The light is only a couple of inches away from the tops of your plants. I think that has something to do with it. Hoppy has a great chart on a sticky in the lighting forum.
Hoppy's Par Chart

Also, you mentioned the background. I found that I could slip the plastic backgrounds they sell at the LFS up under the plastic rim and then tuck it between the "glass" and the plastic base. It made it easy to hold it in place, and then I just taped it down in a few spots. I thought about trying the mineral oil trick to make it appear more black, but I think it looks OK for now.
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
rnaodm
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worcester, Ma
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Our tanks are very shallow, so even though the light is T8, it produces medium light near the bottom and high light near the top. The light is only a couple of inches away from the tops of your plants. I think that has something to do with it. Hoppy has a great chart on a sticky in the lighting forum.
Hoppy's Par Chart

Also, you mentioned the background. I found that I could slip the plastic backgrounds they sell at the LFS up under the plastic rim and then tuck it between the "glass" and the plastic base. It made it easy to hold it in place, and then I just taped it down in a few spots. I thought about trying the mineral oil trick to make it appear more black, but I think it looks OK for now.
Thanks I picked up black background looks better, but I just cant stand how dark the tank looks overall

I hit up petco, they didn't have any of the double socket strip lights so ill likely be ordering from bigals or amazon.
rnaodm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #29
SaltyNC
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Lake Wylie NC
Posts: 283
Default

I kept the stock light but did replace the bulb with a Hagen Life-Glo 6500K. I don't know that it makes that much difference, though. Maybe a little. My light falls off too much in the corners.
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #30
rnaodm
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Worcester, Ma
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
I kept the stock light but did replace the bulb with a Hagen Life-Glo 6500K. I don't know that it makes that much difference, though. Maybe a little. My light falls off too much in the corners.
Yea I have the same problems the sides look dark, making it impossible to take nice looking pictures, and the stem plants at the ends are starting to suffer a bit.

Also added black background
rnaodm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012