Does anyone have mangroves suspended at the top of their tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Does anyone have mangroves suspended at the top of their tank?

I have Red Mangroves in 55 gallon Brackish tank. I have them suspended at the top to encourage growth of prop roots. They're growing well and I'm periodically raising them to keep the roots reaching for the bottom.

The problem is they are hanging on the side of the tank with knex. Yes, knex, like kid's building blocks. They look stupid and I think I probably have close to a year before they'll be able to support themselves.

I've tried the ideas I've been able to find on line including poking them through styrofoam, tying them to posts and taping a rubber band to the back of the tank.

I need something that is like a plastic hook that attaches to the side of the tank. They can't be tied to a string and hung over the water because they float and end up on their sides. And the hook would have to be immobile for the same reason.

The other issue is the tank needs to be covered so my puffers don't jump. Also I have to be able to spray the leaves with fresh water each day. I have a piece of glass that's cut to fit one side of the 55 and leaves an inch or so in the front and back for the mangroves.

Any ideas?
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
CatB
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

we have a plastic shower hook (with a suction cup) in my lizard's tank to hold up her branch, it's clear and very sturdy. i'd take a picture, but her light's out so it's too dark :P
http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...92176893lg.jpg it might be this.
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

That might work. I could use some silicone or super glue to keep the hook stationary so the mangroves don't end up on their sides.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I made hooks out of wire coat hanger to hang shower caddies in my tank.

What about bending some coat hangers so that they hang over the edge of the tank, while also supporting the mangrove?
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wouldn't the coat hangers get rusty?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've looked in the bath department at Walmart and Home Depot for Something like the suction cup that came with my disposable razor. It had a U-shaped hook that the razor sits on. Didn't see any type of suction hooks at all though.

I'll keep looking. Any other ideas?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
I made hooks out of wire coat hanger to hang shower caddies in my tank.

What about bending some coat hangers so that they hang over the edge of the tank, while also supporting the mangrove?
I think I've finally found an easy way to keep the tops of the mangroves out of the water, the roots in the water and then entire plant upright. I actually used a variation of your coat hanger idea. In the garage, where I'm stilllllll storing my pipefitter ex's crap, I noticed some soldering iron (soft bendy stuff - comes in a roll - I think that's what it's called) and had a lightbulb moment. It's so easy to bend I could wrap it around enough times to keep the mangroves upright. It was pretty easy to position each one so that it held the plants securely without restricting their growth. I just took the extra and created a little hook to go over the back of the tank. The metal isn't in the water at all. They've been this way a week or so and it's working perfectly. I'll check on them periodically to make sure it's not getting to tight around the stem.

I have been using shower suction cups since I started this thread but, they fall constantly. In the packs I have been buying at Walmart it seems hit or miss as to how many in the package will have permanently dented suction cups that can't be used at all. The other problem is securing the mangroves to the suction cup's hooks in a way that doesn't allow them to end up sideways.

Just thought I'd update this with the solution that I've found that works.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think you are using solder, from what it sounds like (the soldering iron is the tool used (mostly for electrical work) to melt it and make connections).

I think the stuff used for plumbing and whatnot is different then what's used for electrical, but I'd still be leery of getting it near a tank.

Another thing you could do, is put some wire (coat hanger, or the solder if you really like it) through a section of airline tubing, and then that way it's protected form the water (as long as you keep the open ends on the outside of the tank).
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you. Yes, that's what I meant. Definitely plumbing stuff and not electric. The stuff isn't actually touching the water at all, in fact, it's above the top of the tank. Air line over it is a good idea, it would protect the mangroves and keep water off the solder. I never tried a coat hanger because I knew I'd have a hard time manipulating it the way I wanted it.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (143/100%)

The easiest way to grow mangroves is in a riparium planter.

I have black mangroves here if you are looking for more.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Darkblade48

Yes, you are using solder.

Solder for electrical purposes usually is 63/37 (Sn/Pb) or 60/40 (Sn/Pb), so it would not be suitable because of the lead (especially if it was immersed in water). Outside of water, it would be OK, but I wouldn't use it (if you have children/pets around, etc).

Plumbing solder compositions can vary, depending if the solder was meant for pipes that carry potable water or not. Solder for potable water pipes would probably be 95/5 (Sn/Sb)...

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you. I didn't think about lead. I'll check the package and ask my ex, he's a pipefitter and left a bunch of plumbing stuff in the garage when we divorced 15 years ago. It's above the height of the tank but I'll still check.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
Sluggo
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

How about a Julian Sprung Veggie Clip?

http://www.aquacave.com/Julian-Sprun...shes-P271.aspx
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #14
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

maybe if the styrofoam isn't working, you could put a block of foam on top, with at slit cut in it, and rest that (holding the mangrove) on the stryofoam. (the stryofoam floats, and the foam block provides support).

you can pick up polyurethane foam pretty cheap at craft/sewing stores. I've used it in quite a few tanks before without any problems.

Or maybe taping/gluing a disposable cup (with the bottom cut out) onto a styrofoam panel. It would still lean over, but it shoud stay upright.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.