New Fluval V Low
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
usctank

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Fluval V Low

Hi,

I've had a saltwater nano (12 or 24 gallons) for several years now but, after it crashed and with work piling up, I've decided to try my hand at a low-tech, low maintenance planted tank that's ergonomically clean and doesn't have any equipment outside the tank itself.

I want to do an ADA Mini-S with LED but, until I'm sure I can do a planted tank well, don't want to invest that much money. I'm thinking about the new Fluval V for my first tank. Here's what I'm thinking in terms of flora and fauna from reading this site for awhile, do you think this would work with the stock LED lighting and filtration (and weekly water changes)?

Fora:

Xmas moss, Mini Pellia

Fauna:

8-10 CRS/Crystal Black Shrimp
2-3 Scarlet Badis

Do you think this tank would work with the stock filtration (e.g. no external pump) and no CO2? I was thinking weekly 10-25% water changes but that's it, otherwise I'd just use the stock Fluval lighting/filtration system. Thanks so much in advance, I'm looking forward to the hobby and really appreciate its (potential) simplicity and zen-like feel.
usctank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
maxwellag
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Do you mean the Fluval Spec V? The LEDs it comes with will not be enough for anything other than low light plants. The filter should be fine. I have the 2g spec and I love it. It's a great setup over all but if you want plants a better light is needed. Xmas moss and mini pellia might work under those LEDs. You don't need co2, but I would at least dose Flourish weekly.
maxwellag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
usctank

Exactly, the Spec V. I was hoping that the included LEDs would be enough for the moss and pellia, if it works and I want more advanced plants, I'd probably just upgrade the tank and lights at the same time.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

If you're worried about investing money into a tank, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. ADA tanks have a rather good resale value. They also have a slightly cheaper Do!Aqua line. I'm sure you'd be very pleased with the Mini S and its partner LED light if you chose to go that path. The LED on the Fluval looks quite weak and is probably just meant for ornamental fish keeping with plastic plants but it might be able to grow moss. If you wanted to go even cheaper, just get a generic 2.5g-10g tank and throw some cheapo CFL light fixtures on top of it, snag a filter, some substrate, some plants and call it a day. It all depends on what you want to start off with and how much time you're willing to put into the tank.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wouldn't keep scarlet badis with shrimp, mine developed a taste for shrimp and wouldn't eat prepared food. When I removed the shrimp the badis starved.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

I can't speak for the LED's on the Spec V, but I'm using the stock LED fixture that came over my Evolve and I'm having some really nice growth on what I've got in there. No high light plants for sure, but I think you'd be surprised by what those little LED's can do. I suspect for mosses you'd be just fine.

I'll second the scarlet badis and shrimp combo though. I can't imagine that would work well.

Personally, I think, if long term, you plan on going the high tech route on a really nice setup, you should just bite the bullet, and get the setup you dream of now. Not necessarily the high tech route, but getting a Spec V, and having it for 3 months and then deciding you want to upgrade just seems silly for the money it will cost you.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
usctank

Dang, so no on the Badis, any other suggestions for a colorful small fish that won't eat the shrimp and isn't a beta or guppy? Could I run the ADA w/o a filter? If that's the case I might try it... Otherwise, I guess if the stock LED lights on the V aren't enough I could add on a couple stunner strips...
Old 07-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #8
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

If you went all Diana Walstad style and just put in a small powerhead to ciruclate water and vastly understocked it you could go without a filter. There are also a few internal filters for tanks that small that work pretty well.

As for small colorful, fish safe shrimp, I would suggest maybe a pygmy gourami? They might pick off the occasional baby, but should be to small to take on adults. A school of 6 or 8 boraras maculatas would also be an acceptable choice.

I suspect the LED lights would be fine if you pick your plants appropriately.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote