37 Gallon high tech planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
alexk3954
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

37 Gallon high tech planted tank

I started this tank 3.5 weeks ago on Jun 6.

My equipment is:
Glass 37 gallon aquarium 30"x12"x22"
2x 65W 6700K compact fluorescent lights (On for 6 hours per day)
Pressurized CO2 with Milwaukee regulator
Eheim 2215
Nano Koralia powerhead (on for 30 min, off for 1 hour cycle when lights are on)
Amazonia aquasoil

Flora and Fauna
5 neon tetras
10 rummynose tetras
3 otocinclus
8 amano shrimp
1 hillstream loach
1 crown tail betta

HC
java fern
rotala wallichi
vallisneria nana
java moss
dwarf hairgrass

here is a picture of the tank on the first day. I was given an established tank by a friend, so the neon tetras were in the tank from day 1.

The HC started to pearl and fill in nicely for a week or so

Now, it looks like diatoms have taken over parts of my tank.

My water parameters today are
nitrate- 10ppm
KH- 3
GH- 6
Phos - <0.1ppm
Fe- 0.25 ppm
CO2- 2.5 bubbles per second

I would appreciate advice on killing these diatoms. I have been trying manual removal and sucking it up during water changes.

I have dry fertilizers, but have not gotten into a good dosing schedule because I have been doing so many frequent small water changes to suck up diatoms.

I am thinking about doing a large water change tomorrow and starting to dose with the EI method. I am also thinking about increasing the light cycle because I am reading that diatoms don't like strong light.
alexk3954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Don't worry about the diatoms. Yes, they're ugly, but they'll go away on their own. Focus on growing healthy plants. That's actually the best way you can get rid of diatoms.

Having said that, the last picture is not showing diatoms. I'm seeing algae. The best thing you can do for your tank right now is focus on getting everything in balance.

You definitely need to be doing EI ferts on a regular basis. Check your CO2 level and increase if you can. If the fish start gasping at the surface, then bring it down a notch and that'll be your final setting (watch it all day and then a few hours after lights out to be sure all is okay). Your lighting seems high (but I'm not good with lighting). You may want to lift the fixture higher from the tank to decrease the lighting some.

Once you get your tank more stable, then you can use H2O2 or Excel to kill the existing algae. Strike that. H2O2 and Excel kills vals. You'd have to remove the vals to use either product to kill the algae. So never mind that idea.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote