55g & 30g tank input, please:)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Somadoll

PTrader: (0/0%)

55g & 30g tank input, please:)

Hi there! I have 2 tanks on the go and I need some fresh perspectives

TANK1(55g):
1 golden severum, 1 geophagus jurupari, 1 Pleco, 1 albino bristlenose feathertail Pleco, 1 golden algae eater, 3 Rummynose tetras, 3 flathead minnows & 3 cardinal tetras.

TANK2(30g):
1 betta, 1 red paradise, 1 golden algae eater, 1 yoyo loach, 2 emerald catfish, 1 peppered catfish, 1 blacksail catfish, 3 lemon tetras, 2 Von rio tetras, 1 red serpea tetra & 1 head and tail light tetra.

***note: the catfish were intended for the 55g tank but we got a surprise when the always peaceful geophagus immediately got upset with them!

Thanks in advance for any insights!!
Somadoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Termato
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Welcome,

The 1 common pleco will get too big for a 55 gallon IMO.

You need at least 5 of your tetras and minnows. Too few of them. They like to school.

Your betta may have a hard time swimming in your 30 gallon. I am assuming your catfish are cory catfish? Cory catfish like to be in groups of 5 or more. All tetras should be in a school of at least 5. They will school together but they prefer their own species.

I think you have some work to do stocking wise. I'd make a few decisions on what kind of tetras you should keep. What are your water parameters?

That's my opinion.

Good luck on it!

5G - 10G - 29G - 75G Freshwater Aquariums.
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Somadoll

Thanks so much for your opinions !!!

The water in tank 1 is @ 81 F and small tank is at 77 F
I do 10-15% water changes bi-weekly whenever possible.
I worried about the betta at first but he's been in the tank for a year and thrives he and the red paradise are always rubbing against each other ( almost flirty) and theres a bunch of floating plants on one side that break the filter flow and they like to hang there when not playing. Hmmmm.... If I can get the geophagus to accept the catfish, I'd have room to get them a school going. How much room do you think I have in there? Have to think about the tetras though...
Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Termato
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somadoll View Post
Thanks so much for your opinions !!!

The water in tank 1 is @ 81 F and small tank is at 77 F
I do 10-15% water changes bi-weekly whenever possible.
I worried about the betta at first but he's been in the tank for a year and thrives he and the red paradise are always rubbing against each other ( almost flirty) and theres a bunch of floating plants on one side that break the filter flow and they like to hang there when not playing. Hmmmm.... If I can get the geophagus to accept the catfish, I'd have room to get them a school going. How much room do you think I have in there? Have to think about the tetras though...
Do you know the gH and/or kH? If you use tap water and call your water company and ask them for the general hardness or carbon harness or calcium hardness of the water. I'm asking because this really dictates the fish you can keep and their health. I just want to suggest things knowing it will work you know.

The pleco will be fine until hes full grown, then you can maybe upgrade!? always fun! lol

That is really good for your betta. My betta had trouble swimming in the fast current so he is now in a 5 gallon.

Aren't all the catfish fine in the 30? You could put the yoyos in the 55 if you add a lot of cover. Do you have a picture of the tank?

I think you have a decent amount of room to work with in the 55. You can easily have at least 5-6 of each tetra.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Somadoll

Hi
I don't have any pics uploaded yet

The Pleco is several years old... About 7" long...I didn't realize that he would get even bigger! He stays in his log alot but when he comes out- its apparent that he is the tank boss. The golden severum is very interactive with me (but no one else) he likes for me to pet his dorsal and head before feeding and is generally always trying to get my attention. He wouldn't even eat when I went on a 10 day vacation!
I'd like to put the yoyo in the large tank, but like I said the geophagus is finicky about his bottom dwellers. The geo is still a juvenile so I'm thinking his moodiness will subside in a few months. The yoyo is still a baby-- maybe growing him out before adding him will help his case?

An upgrade IS in the future!! Just not at this current apartment--- I want a 90g and I'm doubtful of the floors here for THAT. But most likely around December I'll be moved and ready to Aquascape

The catfish ARE all fine in the 30g... I guess I was concerned about space in there. The dynamics in both tanks seems peaceful and I don't want to mess too much with it. Surprisingly it is the tetras that seem to be the instigators! But I resolved that by putting all the full bodied tetras in the small tank and all the happy little tetras in the big.

Not sure what the water gh/kh is here. Will find out after the long weekend.
In your opinion, are the tanks suffering in any way just as they are?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Termato
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somadoll View Post
Hi
I don't have any pics uploaded yet

The Pleco is several years old... About 7" long...I didn't realize that he would get even bigger! He stays in his log alot but when he comes out- its apparent that he is the tank boss. The golden severum is very interactive with me (but no one else) he likes for me to pet his dorsal and head before feeding and is generally always trying to get my attention. He wouldn't even eat when I went on a 10 day vacation!
I'd like to put the yoyo in the large tank, but like I said the geophagus is finicky about his bottom dwellers. The geo is still a juvenile so I'm thinking his moodiness will subside in a few months. The yoyo is still a baby-- maybe growing him out before adding him will help his case?

An upgrade IS in the future!! Just not at this current apartment--- I want a 90g and I'm doubtful of the floors here for THAT. But most likely around December I'll be moved and ready to Aquascape

The catfish ARE all fine in the 30g... I guess I was concerned about space in there. The dynamics in both tanks seems peaceful and I don't want to mess too much with it. Surprisingly it is the tetras that seem to be the instigators! But I resolved that by putting all the full bodied tetras in the small tank and all the happy little tetras in the big.

Not sure what the water gh/kh is here. Will find out after the long weekend.
In your opinion, are the tanks suffering in any way just as they are?
Do you know if the Pleco is one of the smaller kinds like the Bristlenose Pleco or something like that. Those only get to 5"-8" which works great. That is good he has a log, it reduces his aggresion. Do you have real wood in there?

Growing out the yoyo before adding him to what?

The tetras may be that way because they don't have enough of them to make them peaceful. When they have sufficient numbers their aggression and socialization is directed towards their own species. They do much better in larger groups of their own species.

I don't think the tanks are suffering necessarily, but I think that the tetras will need to be addressed and something will need to be done. Either picking 2-3 species and having a high number of them or just upping the current numbers. Are your catfish cories? Do you know? Pics maybe? Those would also do better in groups, they hide a lot otherwise.

I'd say if you work on the stocking you will be fine. I don't know much else because you have not given any other information.