Removing cacatouides fry
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
DBlauj
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/82%)

Removing cacatouides fry

I have been fortunate enough to have my 2nd batch of Cacatouides fry from one of my females. They are roughly 3 days old and free swimming. Unfortunately I will be heading out of town for the weekend and was wondering if I should remove my fry? I recently removed all my tetras and have the male and one female Caca left in the tank ( it's a 29g). Would I be ok if I removed the male and other female? By moving them will the female restrain from eating he fry? Her first batch the fry were about 1 week old and I believe she ate them.
DBlauj is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

You need to keep the parents really well fed in order to stop them from eating their spawn when I bread my larger cichlids I fed them full earthworms daily sometimes 3-4 of them but then again I had green terrors. But the same goes for most fish that care for their you g keep them fed with rich live food and they'll continue to care for their babies
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
DBlauj
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/82%)

Keeping them feed is not a problem when I am home. The problem is that I will be out of town for the holidays and was needing some info on keeping the male with the fry or without the fry. I have heard that sometimes with the male present the female can become interested in breeding again. If this happens she may eat her fry. I don't want to return home with the fry all eaten. I would prefer to move the male before I leave to give the fry a better chance at growing out.
DBlauj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
LB79
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

If it's her first batch and they're freeswimming, I think she's well on her way to being a good mother. I'd remove the male as he could overpower her if he really wanted to eat the fry. The other female is probably as scared as heck of Mommy and will stay well out of her way, and thus is a low risk. Cacatuoides are generally really good parents.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote