20l Iwagumi internal sump *11/23/2012* - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #31
srivihk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do you have the line diagram of the sump. I'm contemplating something like this on the sides. One side for the sump and other side for a DIY CO2. Use 4" on both the sides on a 36" tank.
srivihk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #32
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Do you have the line diagram of the sump. I'm contemplating something like this on the sides. One side for the sump and other side for a DIY CO2. Use 4" on both the sides on a 36" tank.
If you look in post #11 you can see a pretty good shot of what I ended up with but I do not have any diagrams of what I did.... I like to work in my head when it is something not involving school or work. I feel I can be more creative this way.

Quote:
I have thought about running an immersed setup with wrap around it and a CO2 airline going in as well. It will just keep pumping and work itself out as pressure builds. Seems feasible to me.
I thought of this as well but i haven't gotten around to refilling my co2 tank so it hasn't happened.
awdturbo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #33
IamtheSeaBass

Winston!
IamtheSeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #34
trit0n2003
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)

This tank will look awesome when its grown in. NICE!
trit0n2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #35
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

Finally an up date. It appears to have slowed down from the initial burst in growth. Its been about a month and ive just recently tried raising the water level in the tank as well as introducing more fertilizers well see how that ends up working.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #36
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

What do you guys think about this lighting fixture? Its got some good and bad reviews on here but I herd that the bad reviews were from the old design that had a bad ballast design.

Main question it only comes in a 24 inch and a 36 inch think 24 will be fine?

http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-4...e-p/52303p.htm
Old 06-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #37
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdturbo04 View Post
What do you guys think about this lighting fixture? Its got some good and bad reviews on here but I herd that the bad reviews were from the old design that had a bad ballast design.

Main question it only comes in a 24 inch and a 36 inch think 24 will be fine?

http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-4...e-p/52303p.htm
I think it will be too much unless you raise it. That is pretty dependant on the reflectors. I believe they are not that good in that light, which would be to your benefit most likely.

I use a 24 inch T5HO on my tank (aquatic life) and though I am not sure I am dialed in yet, my light is around 12 inches above the tank if not more. I could probably fit another 20 long in between. I am running two bulbs for 10 hours with a 4 hour non burst on the other two.

I am not getting good growth out of my foreground though. Not sure if it's lighting or the plant (has always grown super slow. I have put other plants in to test and they grew quickly and have good color. I just added HC so once that starts to grow, I may lower it again.

A two bulb fixture would be a better bet but if you are only going four bulbs for a noon burst, you may be happy with that light. I believe, again, the reflectors are not so good which, again, would be to your benefit here. 2 bulbs of T5HO is too much light with amazing reflectors without raising the light.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 AM   #38
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I think it will be too much unless you raise it. That is pretty dependant on the reflectors. I believe they are not that good in that light, which would be to your benefit most likely.
I want to have the light a good bit above this tank since its rimless and I want it to be able to be viewed with the whole tank including the top open. I also like the whole timing in different bulbs throughout the day and do it on my 75 with good growth. I also know its a novelty but i do appreciate the moon light as well.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #39
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I want to have the light a good bit above this tank since its rimless and I want it to be able to be viewed with the whole tank including the top open. I also like the whole timing in different bulbs throughout the day and do it on my 75 with good growth. I also know its a novelty but i do appreciate the moon light as well.
It should work. I am using the same amount of wattage and my tank isn't very planted right now. I think the more bulbs the better, even if you only use the all for a short period of time, etc. It gives you flexibility.

I can't vouch for that fixture myself. As said, I don't believe it has the greatest reflectors but that is likely not going to be a problem, if it had amazing reflectors it may cause problems. I have read one person who had issues with the light and I don't know how it was resolved but many people are using them without issues. I think it's fine but my advice is meaningless here lol.

Can't wait to see this going. Looks like it's almost time to fill.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #40
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Can't wait to see this going. Looks like it's almost time to fill.
ha ha I keep going back in forth every day as to weather its ready or not. If my co2 tank was full I would probably have already done it by now.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #41
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
ha ha I keep going back in forth every day as to weather its ready or not. If my co2 tank was full I would probably have already done it by now.
Wait for CO2 for sure. The HC has to transition from emersed and I found the best way to avoid or minimize algae outbreaks is to blast CO2 pretty heavily.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #42
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Hey man, the tank is looking great, who did you order the HC from, it looks great as well
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #43
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
Hey man, the tank is looking great, who did you order the HC from, it looks great as well
I got the HC from aquariumplants.com as per a friends recommendation. was very good quality

Quote:
Wait for CO2 for sure. The HC has to transition from emersed and I found the best way to avoid or minimize algae outbreaks is to blast CO2 pretty heavily. Yesterday 02:49 PM
Agree completely from what Ive read. I plan on turning this tank into a seltzer water for the first month.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #44
awdturbo04
Algae Grower

Alright guys its been quite a while and I am happy to say that I have finally filled the tank. Some time in June I thought the tank wasn't getting enough light so I put it out on the deck. Within an hour the heat reduced it to this

Needless to say I felt miserable and almost gave up

After about 4 months it eventually grew back to this which I am very happy with. here is the progression

After much mental debate I decided on this stand from petco and that light I mentioned earlier in this thread

here it is before the new lights arrived

Then the light arrived. After a short trip to lowes and $12.44 later i had this fancy light hanger

Tomorrow ill post pics of the tank running filled with water
Old 11-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #45
Kado
Planted Member

Wow nice! Great Journal.
Kado is offline   Reply With Quote