My Poor YOYO Loach got some line on him HELP
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Unhappy

My Poor YOYO Loach got some line on him HELP

Hey guys

My yo-yo loach ended up somehow getting some of the line that I use to secure plants wrapped around him at the midpoint of his body....

After much netting skill I got him out and he was calm enough for me to use tweezers to get the line up far enough for me to snip

He has a "red" area around his belly where the line was and I didn't see any bleeding or anything but I am concerned because it's breathing and all but it's laying on it's side in it's rock home and the other yoyo loach that I have in the tank is being very attentive to it but I'm worried I am going to lose it...

Is there anything I can do to help medicate/heal it? These two little loaches are my favorites in the tank because they are always so playful should I be worried about losing my loach?
drewsuf82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie

Unfortunately there may have been some internal damage. Theres really no way to tell, just keep a close eye on him. I had a frog who was squashed by a sliding rock once, appeared fine on the outside, but died due to internal injuries.

Its for this exact reason that I think using fishing line or any other things that can get tangled is a bad idea. Use weights, super glue, mesh, anything that cant get tangled on a fish.
Trickerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Yea my next project is going to be to get the rest of the fishing line out of there and use some cotton thread, I've been finding that the line tends to move and slip where the thread does a much better job staying in place and disappears after a few weeks anyway....

I just hope I don't lose him/her although they're back in their usual hiding spot like normal and the other one has been in it's normal spot so maybe thats a good sign
Old 06-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie

The only line I would ever think about using is braided fishing line. Its not practical unless youre a fisherman and already have some, like myself, because its ridiculously expensive. However, its very flexible (read: limp) and will hold forever if needed.
Trickerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
CatB
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

next time you attach java fern or anubias or moss to wood/rock, i'd use loctite super glue gel. it's not harmful to your tank once it's dry (which is in a matter of a few seconds) and there's no risk of fish getting stuck in it.
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

I never thought of using superglue because I was worried a out the chemicals in it or it dissolving that's very good to know
Old 06-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
CatB
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsuf82 View Post
I never thought of using superglue because I was worried a out the chemicals in it or it dissolving that's very good to know
it does leach a little bit of i think formaldehyde? when it dissolves, but when you're just using a few tiny drops of it in a filtered tank, it doesn't do any harm. it does dissolve eventually (it takes a few months), but if you've attached something like moss, java fern, or anubias that will attach to wood/rock, it will have attached itself by then. if it's something that doesn't attach, it's just a matter of putting another drop on.
cotton thread will disintegrate too, though, and it's something your fish could potentially get themselves tied up in.
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I always use superglue.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote