Tall & lush low light plants?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
Snailetta
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tall & lush low light plants?

I need suggestions for a lush background plant for my standard 10g tank. Wisteria is out, I just cannot grow it. I have hygrophila in there now and it's getting very sparse looking. Are there any crypts that get this tall? I have a wendtii green in there that's looking great, but it's not quite tall enough for the background.

I have gravel substrate and use Flourish and root tabs.
Snailetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

I bought a whole bunch of crypts a couple of years ago when I got too busy to maintain high tech tanks, and some of them grew tall enough that I think it would fit your needs. Unfortunately, I don't remember which one is which, but I think the two tallest were Cryptocoryne beckettii and Cryptocoryne undulatus. I also got Cryptocoryne walkeri so check the height on that one, as well.

One of my favorite lush low tech plants is Ludwigia arcuata x repens. I sometimes get the Ludwigias mixed up, but I think that's the right ID for the one that does so well. It's at least some form of Ludwigia arcuata. I also like it because it gives the tank some nice color.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
CatB
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

water sprite :P
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Snailetta
Algae Grower

Thanks for these suggestions! I will look into these plants.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
carriej
Algae Grower

Limnophila sessiliflora is a great one for low light... Gets nice and bushy and grows fast.
carriej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailetta View Post
Wisteria is out, I just cannot grow it. I have hygrophila in there now and it's getting very sparse looking.

I have gravel substrate and use Flourish and root tabs.
Flourish comprehensive? Are you dosing macros, or have a decent bioload in there? You may want to get a test kit and check your nitrate levels. My hygro nearly grew out of the tank in the first month, before I added any ferts and only had half a dozen cory cats. That stuff should grow like a weed.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Snailetta
Algae Grower

Added Limnophila sessiliflora to my list. Thanks!

Quote:
Flourish comprehensive? Are you dosing macros, or have a decent bioload in there? You may want to get a test kit and check your nitrate levels. My hygro nearly grew out of the tank in the first month, before I added any ferts and only had half a dozen cory cats. That stuff should grow like a weed.
I can't remember which Flourish--I know it's not Excel. Not sure what "dosing macros" means...? I have 10 mystery snails in the tank. I'm getting a consistent 20 ppm nitrate reading. It could be they're not getting enough light or maybe I'm dosing too conservatively. Because of the trace copper I'm hesitant to overdo it with inverts in the tank. My 2 crypts and anubias are looking good though.