When does Watts Per Gallon stop working?...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-23-2003, 10:28 PM   #1
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is something that I have been pondering since I setup a 5 gallon Nano planted tank. The plan was to use 10 watts of CF to light the tank and to plant Glosso and a few other plants. The general consesus was that even though that was 2 wpg in a short tank it would not be enough. I am going to add a second 10 watt CF upping the wpg to 4. But enough about my particular problem

At what point does the Watts per gallon rule break down? Is it a certain tank size or tank dimensions? And when it breaks down how do you figure out what you need for low, medium and high light plants?
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2003, 11:16 PM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Between 20-75 gals, 3WPG is pretty accurate. Below about 10 gals you need more light, above 100 gals you can get away with a little less. Factors such as tank depth, reflectors and water clarity should also be taken into consideration. These are general guidelines. As to How do you know when you have enough light, you're plants will tell ya.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2003, 11:54 PM   #3
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Marcel is right. I have seen no hard and fast rule for this. There are many factors involved....I dont know them all...depth being the biggest in my opinion. Take notes...see what works then post it here...we can all benefit from that.

mike

PS enjoy the plants!

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2003, 01:08 AM   #4
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

Practice does make perfect and experience is a great teacher, i hope to start a journal for this tank in the photo section so everyone can see what happens :-D
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2003, 01:24 AM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.lemay
Between 20-75 gals, 3WPG is pretty accurate. Below about 10 gals you need more light, above 100 gals you can get away with a little less. Factors such as tank depth, reflectors and water clarity should also be taken into consideration.
Another thing we should take into consideration is which plants you want to grow. If you are talking Swords, Cryptocorynes, Java ferns, and another about 80% of commonly available plants, you can get away with considerably less wattage (provided you have good reflectors). As soon as the G-word (ends with "lossostigma") emerges, we talk high light, high ferts, high CO2, and high bills too.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.