Water parameter question, week old tank, funny moss & shrimp on the way
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
CoolhandLocke
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Water parameter question, week old tank, funny moss & shrimp on the way

Tanks been "running" a week have a moss ball some rocks and a few live plants from the LCS. I picked up around 6 Zebra Danios, a couple of neon tetras, and 3 ghost shrimp, two of which are berried. I have a friend that's sending over RCS as they have extras they need to get rid of and they can come to me for free (has to be this week) or go to their lcs.

Everything in the tank is alive and well, the Ghosts appear to be fairly lazy except for one (the male) who zips all over the place.. very fun to watch. Only lost 1 danio and that was to the filter monster before I could rig a sponge to fit over the return.

I know the RCS's are hardy, but I'm not going to have an idea of my full parameters until my kit gets here on Wednesday. The PH was 7.9 last week, haven't checked it again since I've added the fish, plant and mossball. I'm thinking the RCS should be ok, being as everything else in the tank is doing well and all the little guys seem happy and healthy. The RCS should be here thursday, the day after the kit so I'm thinking that should give me enough time to adjust if needed or should I leave things be as long as the ghosts are doing well?

Also, I noticed the "unknown" moss ball I got from the Pet Store seems to have a white/light spot on it that I didn't see before. Almost looks like someones lightly dusted a side of it in white powder to make it lighter green that the rest. Any clue on this? I have flame moss coming in and don't want something from the LCS to screw with any new plants going in the tank.

Have a whisper 60, air-stones, and sponge filter coming in Wednesday as well so that should help things a bit I would think.

Any yeah, I know I'm probably rushing it a bit, but I don't want to turn down free RCS unless the general consensus is that I'll kill them. I don't like killing my pets, already bought a small separate tank to keep the ghosts in if the RCS breed or vice versa
CoolhandLocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

I would recommend getting the other tank for cherries, away from the other fish. Fish will be the primary predators of the shrimp and any left will eventually be eaten by the ghosties.

You probably want to cycle your tank, if not use Tetra safe start to eliminate any nitrite and ammonia build up.

Cherries are hardy and can adapt to most tap water conditions, just make sure its copper free and ammonia/nitrite free.
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

ARGH! The interwebs just ate my long post.

I wouldn't put your shrimp into any of your tanks because they aren't cycled. You will kill them. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? If not, Google it NOW. It is probably the MOST important part of fish and shrimp keeping. If you don't have it already, buy the API Master Kit. It has all the tests you need for right now.

Don't put the shrimp in the tank with the fish. The high ammonia will kill them. Cycling a tank with fish is unnecessary and cruel, but too late now. If you can find it, buy Tetra SafeStart for that tank. It will cycle the tank in days. If you can't find it, you'll need to do large, daily water changes and dose Prime (only Prime, don't use anything else) until the tank cycles, usually about a month.

Put the shrimp into the other tank along with the moss ball and any plants. Put the sponge filter in there and use the airstone to keep the water circulated. Because shrimp have a smaller bioload, it will probably take longer to cycle their tank. Do not use the TSS with the shrimp. Do frequent, small water changes and dose Prime until the tank cycles. Don't feed them anything, just let them graze on the plants and moss ball. Adding food raises the ammonia level if left uneaten and shrimp are messy eaters who make a mess.

If you're picking up the shrimp locally, ask for a baggie full of their substrate. It has the beneficial bacteria you need. Put it in some pantyhose near the filter intake. This will help seed your filter and shorten your cycle. If they're being shipped, I guess you could ask for some substrate, but I'm not sure how long the bacteria live without an ammonia source.

Don't try changing water parameters. RCS are hardy and can adapt to most params if acclimated properly. Read this on how to acclimate properly. http://planetinverts.com/Acclimating...%20Shrimp.html. In fact, read all over that site, it's my go-to place for research on shrimp and it was really helpful when I first started.

-Lisa

Tags
ghost shrimp, new tank, rcs, water parameters