Is this Fin rot? need help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
SirGrizz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is this Fin rot? need help

I have a 10 gal tank with 4 female bettas, and 4 ottos i added yesterday.

Overnight I saw this on my seemingly most dominant betta and had been observing her for about 2 weeks before where she had some damage to her lower fin as you can see here http://i.imgur.com/c4IHY.jpg and here http://i.imgur.com/RNFco.jpg.

Her lower fin now has a ugly gap and I cant tell if it is from roughhousing with the others (they all are used to each other no problems that I would need to separate them for). Or if it is actually fin ron.

If it is, I need to be walked through the quarantine process (i have Tetra Lifeguard all-in-one and a 1 gallon tank that is empty)
SirGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

i can see the damage, but cant tell if its rot or not. i need a clearer image of the fin to determine whether there is an infection.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Kyrol
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Mela-fix helps with fin issues if thats what it turns out to be but keeping an eye on them for rough housing given the betas is a real concern.
Kyrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
SirGrizz
Algae Grower

here you go mark
http://i.imgur.com/4dF9P.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9BC6i.jpg

best i could do shes hard to photograph, use Zoom it helps a ton to see more detail, i want to know for sure, i have noticed other small damage on my other girls but none near as bad as this, i have observed one nip the other and leave a tiny bit gone so it is very possible it is roughhousing but naturally i am worried
Old 06-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

That doesn't look like fin rot to me. Fin rot is usually more evenly spread along the edges of the fins, not a big gap taken out of the middle.

That looks like a fighting injury. The two fish may be used to each other, but that does not mean they never fight.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 AM   #6
CatB
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrol View Post
Mela-fix helps with fin issues if thats what it turns out to be but keeping an eye on them for rough housing given the betas is a real concern.
do NOT use melafix/pimafix with bettas at all EVER! it can mess up their labyrinth organ and eventually kill them.

the rip on the bottom fin definitely looks more like an injury than fin rot.
it couldn't hurt to add some small amount, maybe a tablespoon or less, of aquarium salt. i've read in multiple places now that otos are fine in it, and it definitely helped my betta recover from fin rot, so.
CatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
SirGrizz
Algae Grower

interesting, okay thanks for the help guys, ill continue to monitor everything and try out a pinch of AQsalt