Hot Tank in NYC
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 06-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
CandleMaker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hot Tank in NYC

My Tank reaches 88-92F every day here in NYC, I live on the top floor of my apartment building. I have no clue how to get my temperature range back to normal, an ice bottle can only do so much and besides, I am going on vacation for three weeks, so I wont be able to have that luxury. I was wondering if an air pump will be ok/sufficient or even help a bit ?
CandleMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

I don't see how an airpump could help. They get hot as they work and so you will be blowing warm air into the tank.

If you can't control the environment (air condition, move to colder area), your choices are pretty much

1) Take down the tank (or don't keep fish/plants)
2) Buy a chiller
3) Rig up some intricate evaporative cooling (fans blowing across the water surface, evaporated water added back via distilled water/top-off)

There have been a number of threads about hot tanks in NYC in the last few days, search for them as they might offer some better ideas.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
smokaah
Planted Tank Obsessed

Chiller
smokaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
WoodRiverTroutBum
Algae Grower

Air conditioner.
WoodRiverTroutBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

point the AC vent at the tank. how big is this tank, and what is the temperature inside your apartment?
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think there are some real solutions that won't break the bank.
First look at reducing the heat you equipment generates. Light, filters, powerheads, all make heat. If there is a way to cut the time these run or the number, it will help.

Air circulation in the room so that the heat is moved away from the tank into another room? Even opening lids and canopies will help a lot. A simple box fan blowing across the top will evaporate a lot of water.

Sweating works to cool your body. It works the same for tanks.

A combo of small things will often do it for the short term needs you have. I don't favor using ice as it tends to be hard work and lead to temperature swings which are much harder on fish than a slow rise in temperature.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #7
CandleMaker
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I think there are some real solutions that won't break the bank.
First look at reducing the heat you equipment generates. Light, filters, powerheads, all make heat. If there is a way to cut the time these run or the number, it will help.

Air circulation in the room so that the heat is moved away from the tank into another room? Even opening lids and canopies will help a lot. A simple box fan blowing across the top will evaporate a lot of water.

Sweating works to cool your body. It works the same for tanks.

A combo of small things will often do it for the short term needs you have. I don't favor using ice as it tends to be hard work and lead to temperature swings which are much harder on fish than a slow rise in temperature.
These are all great solutions but my problem is when I am not here for 3 weeks it looks like the only solution is a real expensive chiller.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
CandleMaker
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
point the AC vent at the tank. how big is this tank, and what is the temperature inside your apartment?
20 Gallon, it wouldnt be a problem if I was here because I'd just keep it in an air conditioned room but I wont be here for 3 weeks in July and I am on the top floor of my apartment building.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Your only solution is using a chiller or an AC unit. Considering you will be gone for 3 weeks, you don't want to use a fan. It evaporates too much water. I used a fan. I can get the temp down from 86f to 82f. However, I think about more than a gallon of tank water were evaporated in a week.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

The three weeks away is a problem but I would assume that you will have someone checking things while you are gone. If not there may be a major problem with the tank at best. If not the temperature, there is a good chance of other problems. The tank will suffer in some way while it is not watched. Long vacations and fishkeeping are not really compatible. If one had any other type pet, the situation might be even worse.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #11
Trickerie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie

Stop being cheap and use your AC while youre gone :| My AC in FL pretty much never turns off to keep the house 75F. If its hotter than that outside, I'd be using an AC, I dont care how cold it may get in the winter... How can people tolerate it being above 80F in their house?! Not only is it hot, but the mold growth must be disgusting.
Trickerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
vincenz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickerie View Post
Stop being cheap and use your AC while youre gone :| My AC in FL pretty much never turns off to keep the house 75F. If its hotter than that outside, I'd be using an AC, I dont care how cold it may get in the winter... How can people tolerate it being above 80F in their house?! Not only is it hot, but the mold growth must be disgusting.
80F is not that hot... And mold forms because of humidity, not really temperature.

OP, I'd suggest a fan, but with the evaporation that's going to happen over 3 weeks, not really sure if that is such a good idea either. How big is the tank?

The Spawning Pool-- 75g shallow square DECOMMISSIONED

Three Worlds-- 4g triple sphere DECOMMISSIONED
vincenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
Korage
Algae Grower

Its not about cost. He can't have an AC on the whole time.. just get a chiller. However.. if it is about cost.. then move the tank somewhere else OR fill it with life capable of living in those temps.

Where to get a chiller? mostly going to be in the big companies but I would still try the smaller businesses.
Korage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
m8e
Planted Member

Fan + dripp system.

Fan evaporate water and cools the tank, and the dripp system fills the tank with new water, and any excess goes down into a overflow drain.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

I'm getting the impression the tank is covered? If so, just removing the covers will make a huge difference. Fish jumpers can be contained with screen covers. Then you'll be able to run a small fan across the top of the tank.

Another option may be a small drop-in chiller that shouldn't break the bank. In any event, 3 weeks of evaporation will be hard to provide for and measure.

But I gotta tell ya, 3 weeks without AC on the 3rd floor in NYC, I think you'll be pushing your luck even if you have somebody looking in on the tank.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote