Using chipped aquarium nano tank for terrarium/vivarium/etc...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
Cloudburst2000

PTrader: (0/0%)

Using chipped aquarium nano tank for terrarium/vivarium/etc...

Hello everyone, I have recently become interested in terrariums/vivariums/etc. I am an avid reefer. No, not the drug but a coral reefer. I have several nano aquariums. One of my nanos was a modded Fluval Edge. Well, I decided to rebuild the Edge as I didn't care for the rock work. When emptying the tank, I managed to put a small chip in the back corner. I don't feel comfortable filling it full of water anymore so I ordered a replacement glass tank from the Fluval people. The chipped tank is in excellent condition outside the tiny chip so I figured that I would try turning it into something along the lines of a terrarium. I will be using only the glass tank from the Fluval Edge. The stand, hood, lights, filter, etc from the Fluval Edge will be used in my Fluval Edge marine build when the replacement tank arrives. A pic of the Fluval Edge tank is below. Right now, the tank is open where the small hood would be because the hood is going on the replacement Edge tank. I have never had a terrarium or the like before and am not a hundred percent sure what this tank would best be suited for. The Fluval Edge is a 6 gallon aquarium. It's such a pretty tank even without the stand and hood that I just can't let it go to waste. What should I look at buying for this tank or making/building? I assume I will need some type of cover and lighting. I have tons of lights around from aquarium builds but I don't think the wave lengths to support corals and plants are the same. Most of my lights are 10K and above. What would you do with this tank? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	49726  

Cloudburst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Pop the top pane off that sucker and get some of those rubber pads you put between a wood table and glass top... Use the pads for feet and maybe get some plants the will emerge out of the tank (creeping jenny/hygro. Difformis) 6500k to 10000k temeratures are the sweet spot for photoaynthesis.
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.