20 Long Rock Pile...V2...Now with Nano! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
Mr. Fish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Very nice setup! Yes I am a hip hop artist and record all my own material. You have the same CPU as me.. I have a few producers but could always use more, show me what ya working with.

I'll peep that thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fish View Post
Very nice setup! Yes I am a hip hop artist and record all my own material. You have the same CPU as me.. I have a few producers but could always use more, show me what ya working with.

I'll peep that thread
Not sure exactly what you are asking about what I am working with but this is some of my work:

My Facebook-Band
My Music
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #18
trit0n2003
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (41/100%)

I really like the hardscape rocks
trit0n2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Any progress on the tank, what you've do this far looks good. I wonder if you can have any fauna in there without driving them crazy with load music, I notice my fish scatter when the front door is slammed 3 rooms away.

It's cool to see all that vinyl, I used to spend my whole paycheck on records when I was in my early 20's, I ended up with a lot of collectible covers at $3.99 each back in 1980 or so, I ended up selling them all to fun a cross country trip.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Any progress on the tank, what you've do this far looks good. I wonder if you can have any fauna in there without driving them crazy with load music, I notice my fish scatter when the front door is slammed 3 rooms away.

It's cool to see all that vinyl, I used to spend my whole paycheck on records when I was in my early 20's, I ended up with a lot of collectible covers at $3.99 each back in 1980 or so, I ended up selling them all to fun a cross country trip.
I have been in out of town for almost a week and still going to be back for a few days, hopefully their will be some growth when I get home. Before I left, I split up a lot of the Belem. It tends to grow fast but not spread, hoping this will speed up the process.

As for fauna, I have not had many issues. I had a Pearl Gourami that really didn't like the music (I assume the vibrations) but I notice no difference in behavior with other fish/shrimp. Although I have not had livestock in this tank, I had a 29 setup in the same place for over 4 years. I also don't usually have my music super loud when I am making it or listening. It only gets loud when mixing and some rappers I work with need the music blasting while tracking.

The only update I have is I bought some acrylic lily pipes. They are with me, not on the tank. I will update when I get home.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #21
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

First, this will be part "a" of today's update. Well, we will see what I get done today. I like to post some of the bad stuff, rather than a perfectly clean tank as that is part of a planted tank. I have had many tanks now that never get algae for the life of them but it's just not always the case, even after you feel like you know what you are doing. This was pretty expected though.

I have way too powerful of a light on my tank. I don't mind because I actually like the light spillage in my studio so I don't have to have bright lights on. However, I lowered my light about 4 inches before I left (suddenly) for 9 days or so.

This is what you get with too much light:

Fortunately, most of the algae is just on the glass. It should be a pretty easy clean up. I did get some BGA which is one of my least favorite types of algae to deal with but luckily it seems to only be on plants which I need to trim anyway.

Obviously, too much light. I raised them back to where they were. Because of my light and all the variables, combined with the lack of plant mass, this was far from a surprise. I don't like starting tanks that I know will get algae but I really don't know how to account for the lighting without a par meter so it's totally expected. It should clean up pretty easily as well. Nothing to be concerned about, just need to find the balance.

On a better note, I picked up these lily pipes. I planned to spend around $75-$150 on lily pipes, possibly more. I really didn't want to order them from overseas if I didn't have to, leaving me with DO!Aqua. I found these acrylic ones down in So Cal for $35 total. I am very happy. They have some imperfections in the "U' bends where you can see where salt or sand was used. But, for the money, can't complain at all. They are super well made in every other sense and I will have much more trouble breaking them. Nothing to special but I am super happy about them:

Lastly, I picked up this tank as well. I am trying to rid my bedroom of tanks. It fits great on top of my mini fridge. I sat on it to see how 200lbs did and the fridge didn't budge. I am debating to put it their or in my room. I hate filter noises in my room but love the look. On the fridge, it kind of makes my room seem too "fish oriented" but I can run CO2 to it. I have everything but a light. I don't know if I will used the driftwood or not, I just bought it because it fit the tank so well. This tank will be mostly stems and a foreground as I miss my stems. I have a few stems left left in a scratch up 10 gallon I am getting rid of but nothing special. I will likely start a new journal for this, I don't have a light at the moment. I may use my 10 gallon hood for now, it will be ugly for sure.

Time for me to get to cleaning lol.

Last edited by talontsiawd; 06-24-2012 at 03:30 AM..
Old 06-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #22
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Here is it clean. That was about 20 min of work, and 2 hours of the filter cleaning the water up.

I have a bit of BGA on the leaves of the red plant. I will just trim that down to the substrate.

I am not sure what is going on with my grass. It is growing so slowly. The red plants (not sure what they are) and the little piece of rotala I put in have grown a bunch. I wish this would just speed up but I may have to go to a different plant.

I also put my lily pipes on. The outlet is kind of low how I have them setup but I still get good surface agitation and the view from the top is much better.

I know this is probably a boring journal but here you go:
Old 06-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #23
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

More kno3 + more co2. Let 'er rip.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #24
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
More kno3 + more co2. Let 'er rip.
I will give that a try. It actually hasn't had any ferts in 2 weeks at all. Hopefully that helps as I am getting sick of whatever type of belem this is.

On a side note, I setup the nano. The wood is backwards (if I use it). I needed to wedge it in as it's floating and I am too lazy to boil it. I may or may not keep it here. I love how it fits perfectly where it is, I love that I can use CO2, but I am a bit afraid of water so close to my records. I also learned that it's much harder to level something solid like a fridge compared to a wood stand with some give. Even harder when tank is filled lol. I may start a new journal or just update it here, depending on the interest.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #25
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

Flourite + rimless = FAIL. lol

Seriously, man.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #26
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Quote:

Seriously, man.
Yup.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #27
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Seriously, man.
Its used too lol. In all honesty, I have put in $25 into this tank, 100% of the cost being the tank. Everything else is left overs. I really don't even know if I will scape it much. I just didn't want to get rid of my stems. I considered getting some AS but it just wasn't worth it to me.

Oh, and it's Floramax
Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #28
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

No need for a picture update but the tanks are clean.

On the 20 long:
1. I have decided to go with some HC. This grass just isn't working for me. It just grows super slow. I have put in enough plants to make sure their is no other issues with CO2 or light. Not saying it's 100% right, but other plants have grown fine. I am going to keep it in, I am just going to plant HC as well. It's always worked for me which is one of the reasons I didn't use it at first, I have been their done that.

2. I am thinking about putting in a sand "river" down the middle, slightly to the right. I have never mixed substrates like this before so I want to be sure. Anyone have opinions? I know it's been done and it doesn't look "real" but it would break up the scape a bit. My only hesitation is I can't easily go back if I don't like it. Opinions?

New pics (that look the same):

On the 6 gallon:
I am really just moving stuff around and planting what little I have. This isn't really supposed to be a natural style aquarium. Not that I am against it if it turns out that way, I just want something with stems in it, something with some color. It seems to be doing well so far, no algae, growth isn't crazy but there is some, not really noticeable in the pictures. It will not really look like much until the foreground grows in. The wood looks too big, I will see how that goes over time. The rock is just there for now, I am playing around with what I have. I will see how I arrange things as needed

Old 06-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #29
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, I know I have been "updating" this a lot but not much is changing. I bought some HC today. I made two mistakes that kind of sucked but didn't really matter. First, I bought Amano shrimp which are cool because for some reason, I have never had them. However, I forgot that I was blasting well above normal rates of CO2 because their were no livestock. I turned the CO2 off and they seem to be doing fine. I acclimate for about 2 hours by drip and realized this in the first 10 min, but they stressed for the first hour, calming down slowly.

The second thing was I was planning to plant the HC without water in the tank. I messed that up by buying the shrimp, not thinking about that until I got in the car. A short dry start would have been nice. I am not a fan of growing out HC dry anymore but I do like to get it rooted nice.

As much as I want to complain, it wasn't very challenging. Not that I started with a ton of HC but planting took me about 45 min. About 1/2 is planted deep enough so it doesn't show up well in pics. I get the random ones floating up every now and then and that will go one for the next few days. 95% seems to be staying down well, leaving the rest floating so I can plant as more pops up.

Not a super interesting change, just wanted to take pictures for my own reference. I am very familiar with HC so I know if this grows too slowly, I have an issue. The grass grew horrifically slow so the HC with be the test for me.

Anyway, snapped this real quick.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #30
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

So, two really dope things happened today in the lab. First, my nano got some amazing plants from member OVT. He has some crazily awesome plants. He is local and showed me his tanks, super crazy stuff. He hooked me up with a great plant package. It looks like a mess right now, well it is a mess, I have very little green and just kind of want to feel out the plants before I scape. Some of the plants I am familiar with and love, most are totally new to me. I am happy, even though the scape is not at all what I want.

Secondly, I ended up on a really good project. If you are interested about what goes on in this room, here is a song I produced (made the instrumental/backing music)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK-ImN6uVbQ