50 Fathoms - Metairie
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Louisiana

Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
ObscureAllure
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Talking

50 Fathoms - Metairie

I'll be honest, before the hurricane this store was crap. It had been a great store in my youth, but went to the dark side for a while in the late 90s/early 2000's.

HOWEVER!!!!!

This has now become one of my two go to fish stores in NOLA. Mikey (the owner) is a great guy and truly loves the art of aquariums and is super knowledgable. He'll also bend over backwards for his regular customers (like us) and he's often surprised me with his kindness. (I had a dolphin hap eat a flametail over night once and he just *gave* me a new one because he knew how bad I'd wanted one.) There's another guy who has been there forever (blonde curly hair, forget his name) that I also trust with anything. Some of the younger kids like with any LFS are starting out and I just get to direct me to things. lol. They *ONLY* have freshwater fish. They really specialize in Cichlids and don't carry a huge variety of other tropical fish, but they have the largest assortment of Cichlids I've ever seen in LFS. He also can and will order just about anything else you need. As far as supplies go, they've got a good amount, and have some other pet supplies and animals too (reptiles, spiders, etc.) Their tanks are fairly clean and I rarely if ever see dead. He also keeps a decent stock of Driftwood (which is a bit of a hard things to come by down here right now thanks to the oil spill). For me, they are THE freshwater LFS in the greater New Orleans area.
ObscureAllure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
bluecheese
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was over at 50 Fathoms a couple of weeks ago. It had been a while since I had been there, but I was surprised by the variety of fish. I'm not a cichlid guy, and I was able to see fish I would pick up for my tank. They had HJarlequin Raspboras, which I have never seen locally before.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Desyx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i agree awesome place. all the guys know there stuff and its a laid back place. snake room still creeps me out but i like to go check out what they got there too. always have a huge stock of fish and always have a few oddities. got my son a marbled eel there and he absolutly loves when we get to feed him live food. great prices also.
Desyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.