POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE KMnO4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE KMnO4

Anyone have experience with this?

apparently "Clear Water" is pretty much this chemical in liquid form...

i have the dry chemical form. Im thinking of using it to take out snails and possibly hydras (since it takes out some worms)
Any solutions/dosages on it would be great

Im considering removing my 15ish cherries from the 5 gallon, nuke the tank with this chemical (plants still in there) and doing a full blown water change the next day.

let me know your thoughts. (i have no idea how much i should use as of now)
Aheartlessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

i have no idea. never used the stuff. but if i were you, i would ask a couple of the gurus about it. pm tom barr or colin (nilocg). they are both good guys and extremely knowledgeable. i'm sure they can give you the info you need
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

haha yea i guess ill go bug them if no one answers :P
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

I visited a guy who just got out of the breeding business and he used it in high levels to, I quote "burn" all the organic matter off of all of his equipment and inside his tanks. It looked like it did a good job too because all his tanks looks brand spanking new. Definitely something to think about if you ever have a sponge filter or something that is extremely clogged with organic matter or just to clean out the inside of your tank instead of scrubbing it. He basically just filled his tanks to the brim and tossed PP right in and it did the rest.

Maybe jr could use it to kill that BBA?
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

i shut down my fluval chi 5, emptied it completely, filled with water and nuked with 1/4 tsp of the stuff.

also nuked the gravel for 2-3 hours with the stuff. Will update tomorrow on how effective it is.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Here some reading for you.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/potassium-permanganate

As for Kenny who uses to clean off this tank. Not sure if he had to go that extreme. I personally use bleach solution to clean off old or used equipment.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

im not a fan of bleach...stuff is strong :O!...although it does a good job at taking out black beard algae ^^

the potassium p. can be nulified quickly with a water change follow up by some Prime. Bleach you have to worry about the smell still lingering and stuff...at least thats my experiences so far.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks good stuff...so far i see no snails that survived it...it seems hydras died off too but i could be wrong...maybe they're just creeping in the gravel bed.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

If anyone is interested, after nuking my 5 gallon for 12 hours. i drained the solution and refilled it with water again...

everything is...dead...it looks like everything that was once alive rusted up. or what looks like brown diatom algae all over the glass and critters and silicone...looks messy but when i ran a net to the stuff it came right off.

i can see actual snails at a still spot on the glass and when i touch them they fall right off...its like everything froze and turned brown.

In the end, id prob use this method again. I was very worried when i saw brown "rust" all over the tank but it comes right off
Old 06-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Interesting. Sounds very effective, but i think i'll stick with bleach. After reading the article van posted the link to especially. That pp sounds like some brutal stuff. Glad it worked for you though tony
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Bleach is used in restaurant dish water and in disaster zones for drinking water. If you're smelling it, it's not diluted enough.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
Bleach is used in restaurant dish water and in disaster zones for drinking water. If you're smelling it, it's not diluted enough.
haha exactly :P
i did use it for a plant dip once and it got the job done...however i did notice it damaged the plants severely...

i think PP is better for plant dip...atleast in my experiences.
The only thing is i wouldnt soak your tank with it...messy...and the silicone is definitely stained in the cracks...i cleaned off most of it from the tank but the part where it seeped into the open cracks of the silicone are still there :P

regardless i have about a lb of it left so i plan on using it for future plant dips as i sell/trade/buy ^^ all plants will go into this dip for 20 mins.