Feeding bottom feeders with MTS in tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Jayme
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Feeding bottom feeders with MTS in tank

I'm noticing a growing problem in my tank. I want to make sure my Corys and Otos are getting enough to eat but shortly after I put the food in it's covered with MTS and they don't seem to try very hard to butt in and get to it.

I bought some glass petri dishes and I put pieces of Rapashy Soilent Green and also Hikari algae wafers in them but the snails just hop on in and cover the food. I also put a piece of cucumber with a weight on it that the Otos have enjoyed in the past and I've only seen the MTS on that as well.

I was thinking about trying to find a little suction cup soap holder or something for the bath and putting the petri dish in there up above the substrate but I'm not sure if the Corys would be up for finding it and getting in to eat.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so what sort of solutions have you found?

I should also note this happened in the old tank with filthy old substrate and lots for the MTS to eat and not just this newly set up one with clean sand.

Thanks!
Jayme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have the same problem. I haven't come up with a solution though. Your idea of a feeding platform sounds good but it would have to be shaped so that the food didn't just fall off once the fish start eating it.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Edub
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Pick out the snails and chuck em. It'll take a few times until you make a dent in the population (if they're like mine haha) but eventually you'll notice less snails competing for the fish's food.
Edub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edub View Post
Pick out the snails and chuck em. It'll take a few times until you make a dent in the population (if they're like mine haha) but eventually you'll notice less snails competing for the fish's food.
Easier said than done
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
shrimp pliskin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had a similar issue with MTS covering everything especially the babies. I had to set up lettuce traps and start feeding the fish less.
shrimp pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

If there are that many MTS, you are likely overfeeding. try feeding smaller portions and more infrequently.

Another method would be to split the portion into two feeding areas.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
Jayme
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Well for now I got a suction cup soap holder and put a glass petri dish with Repashy Soilent Green in it. So far 2 Otos and 2 Corys have found their way in to eat and it's about 9 inches off the substrate. I think I'll need to move it down because the Bettas and the Rasboras and taking quite an interest in it also.

I figured 100 or so MTS in a 50 gallon wouldn't be too much considering what I've heard as far as how many other people have in their tanks but I'll be trying to find homes for some locally to thin the herd.
Jayme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Mine find the food no matter where I put it, and those suckers can move fast too when they know food is nearby.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.