Concept Filter Design! Need input :P - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #16
raunch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yeah I believe you guys are right and the bottles will be impossible to seal correctly. Also right about the pressure. It said on the water pump box it pumps up to 2 feet up. (It's one made for fountains) It would probably have enough power to get it up there but I don't think it would properly distribute out the spray bar.

Sooo, I will be redesigning and looking for things to make it out of. I thought about using tupperware containers (the ones with a rubber "o" ring and they snap shut) They are easy to find and cost effective and won't flex that much so I could probably seal a lot more effectively.

lol, so by the time I end up building all of this I could probably get a Zoo Med 501 canister cheaper. I just am not sure if it would be adequate for my 10 gallon. Says "Up to 30 gal" but I've also read that that means a 30 gallon tank if it were half full (for turtles) so that equals 15 gallons. Although I do only have shrimp so it's not like they put off as much waste as fish do.

Input? DIY or Zoo med 501? lol I'm all about DIY with EVERYTHING but sometimes it's just easier and less of a headache than building something. And since it's only a 10 gallon I don't need crazy filtration. Hmm
raunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #17
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Here's a video that shows whats known as a Wendy filter, a DIY filter popular with turtle keeps but can be adapted. You also use your pump and pump water up and into some sort of trough full of bio media (BBQ lava rock, pot scrubbers, etc to keep it fully DIY) and make a basic kind of reverse wet/dry filter instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpt9BqpE9RU

If you're intent on DIY, there are options. The first thing it test though is how powerful your pump is going up 2 feet. If possible, take the pump, rig up some tubing, 2 90 degree elbows into another container that you know the size of, eg, 1gal pail or something then time how long it takes to fill up 1gal of water pumped at the height your filter would be at. Then you'll get an idea on how much flow your filter would get it and if your pump is capable of pumping a decent amount of water at that head height.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #18
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

you can build an inline filter using pvc with a 5gallon bucket using pvc pipe or hose as the overflow.

Last edited by In.a.Box; 10-10-2012 at 07:38 AM..
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #19
raunch
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Here's a video that shows whats known as a Wendy filter, a DIY filter popular with turtle keeps but can be adapted. You also use your pump and pump water up and into some sort of trough full of bio media (BBQ lava rock, pot scrubbers, etc to keep it fully DIY) and make a basic kind of reverse wet/dry filter instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpt9BqpE9RU

If you're intent on DIY, there are options. The first thing it test though is how powerful your pump is going up 2 feet. If possible, take the pump, rig up some tubing, 2 90 degree elbows into another container that you know the size of, eg, 1gal pail or something then time how long it takes to fill up 1gal of water pumped at the height your filter would be at. Then you'll get an idea on how much flow your filter would get it and if your pump is capable of pumping a decent amount of water at that head height.

I like the wendy filter design. I might adapt that design and incorporate it into this design. Thanks for the link! And I finally found the box to the pump and it says it puts out 80gph. That should be good right? Maximum pump height is 2.5 feet.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunch View Post
I like the wendy filter design. I might adapt that design and incorporate it into this design. Thanks for the link! And I finally found the box to the pump and it says it puts out 80gph. That should be good right? Maximum pump height is 2.5 feet.
Best way is to setup the plumbing the way you want and test. Only way to get a true measurement of what it's actually pump, especially if you put foam or mesh on the intake side, that is going to reduce flow a bit.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #21
raunch
Algae Grower

Default Update

So I went ahead and built a more simple version of what I imagined haha. I drilled a hole in the cap slightly smaller than the hose and jammed it in and then temporarily duct taped it to do a test. I'll silicone it later or find something that will be waterproof and flexible. Also drilled four tiny holes for maximum sprayage! ha

I was surprised at the amount of current, it seems perfect for my 10 gallon. Of course when I add media (rocks, sponge bits, ceramic, w/e) it will slow the flow down a little but so far I'm pleased with it! Now just have to soak the sticker off so it's all clear and waterproof the bottle cap and bingo!

very simple design ha, so that means less can go wrong :P
OH and if anyone has any ideas for how to "pivot" this thing on top of back rim I would appreciate input! I am scratching my head trying to figure out a way that will look minimal and not crappy and on the cheap side (of course.)
Old 06-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #22
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

1) Possibly a slit will be better, black PVC might make setup look "cleaner", although a clear bottle might grow algea and make it a nitrate reducer!

2) How about making top slits also and adding an airstone and going for a hydroponic plant setup?
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #23
raunch
Algae Grower

woah. you just blew my mind! I am totally doing the "hydroponic" idea!! I have been wanting to grow some mangroves and I can start them in the bottle. Good idea. Hmm, this is a whole new ball game now lol. Thanks for the idea.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #24
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

If you have access to a table saw, cut two sections of PVC pipe and make a cradle of them like this, but rotated 90 degrees )( .

A drilled out tornado tube coupler will hold the bottles quite well.
You might look at Home Depot or a plumbing shop for O-rings that would fit over the mouth of the bottle, but atop the ridge below the threads. That would seal to the tornado tube coupler better.

My complaint would be how difficult it will be to put media inside the bottles.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #25
raunch
Algae Grower

Hey dbosman, yeah I thought it might be difficult to add media but I just have to make sure it's tiny media. I will probably be using a mixture of porcelain tubes, rocks, cut up sponge cubes, and carbon. So most of those are pretty tiny and shouldn't be a problem fitting them in. It will be more of a problem getting them out lol but not impossible besides I rarely change filter media, just give it a good wash every now and then. Thanks for the pvc )( idea.

Tags
diy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.