NEW: 30gallon tall riparium - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #16
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
If you want to put the Hypoestes in there I would recommend planting it on a trellis raft. I don't think it will root at all in a planter.

Vals or Sagittaria could be good for the underwater area, but I wouldn't grow them in the emersed portion. Vals can't really grow at all emersed and dwarf Sagittaria is a puny plant and not very full emersed.

Please look at that list of selections that I suggested for the riparium portion. Those are all real good ones and tested already. You will have much better luck using the tested plants that grow well in ripariums. If you don't you might not get much of a result at all.

Underwater-grown crypts will do just fine so long as they have some nice rhizome. You can expect much of the foliage to melt back if you plant them in riparium planters, but just give them some time and they will resprout with new emersed-adapted leaves. Be sure to use good root fertilization with crypts in planters. If you get potted crypts with lots of rhizomes all grown together you should tease the little divisions apart, trim the roots and plant several spread apart in each planter.

I apologize for not making myself more clear. The Dwarf Sag and vals will not be emersed. The plants I mentioned that I was planning on buying was for the submersed part of the riparium. The crypts and anubias may go under the water or above. Dwarf Sag, Vals and Java Fern will go submersed.
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #17
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

The val and sagittaria should be good low tech riparium underwater plants.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Riparium package came today!

I was just leaving class when my Dad texted me. I immediately went into a LFS and picked up a black background and thermometer and rushed home.

I encourage anyone thinking of starting a riparium to document your setup and support Hydrophyte's Riparium Supply business. With our order he added some potting mix, gro soil tabs and two plants! It came to us in Northern CA very quickly and so far things are looking promising.

I immediately opened the box and planted the two plants. Spathiphyllum 'Golden Glow' and Lagenandra thwaitesii, an emersed crypt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3600.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	49038

The Golden Glow is not pictured that is the Lagenandra thwaitessii.

Name:	CIMG3601.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	49037

Detailed directions on how to assemble the plants in the planter

Name:	CIMG3602.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	49039

I topped it off with more potting mix than that but I'm pretty damn sure that's what it's supposed to look like.

Name:	CIMG3603.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	49043

Boom. Ready for action.

We had some issues with water clarity so we did a 90% water change and are starting a new cycling period with that. So far the water is much more clear but we'll have our eyes on it. I really enjoy this part of starting up a riparium or aquarium. The blank canvas where your mind runs wild with ideas. Tomorrow is the big plant shopping day when my LFS get their new stuff in. Stay tuned.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:29 AM   #19
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Hey I'm glad that stuff got there in good shape. Sometimes shipping to California can be kind of slow for some reason(???).

Nice work planting that stuff up. That looks perfect. Those plants were both on the small side, but just give them some light and they should grow for you. You might see the Lagenandra melt back some, but it will grow back. I have some here that I started a couple of months ago in planters and they are starting to fill out nicely. Now that you have the Lagenandra in there it will be good to keep the lid on the tank to keep humidity up.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #20
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Hey I just spotted a sales thread with two real good high-humidity riparium plants: 1 Anubias nana 'Petite' (for trellis raft) 2. Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko' (for hanging planter).

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sp...een-gecko.html

'Green Gecko' is really attractive when grown emersed. The seller was offering them in big lots. I don't know if they would be willing to break them down some more(?).
Old 06-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #21
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

So one of my LFS was closed today because they're closed on Tuesdays. I felt like a huge dumbass taking a bus all the way there to find out. I've been there 5 times I should have known. BUT:

My other LFS source got their new shipments in today and I got the first catch in the freshwater plants. They have a "potted plants $4.99 each buy 3 get 1 free." So I got 2 crypts, a crypt wendtii 'bronze' and a crypt wendtii 'tropical.' The other plant was a Brazillian Sword. I've found mixed views on whether this plant can survive submerged but it can for sure and probably more ideally be emersed because it's a type of spathiphyllum. I also snuck a pot of annubias on ($7.99) but that made my free plant and now that's on a trellis raft.

My dad is currently playing Age of Empires III on the other computer where the pictures are so I'll post them when he's done.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #22
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay pics. I'm having a tough time deciding which of these plants should go in my last hanging planter: Crypt wendtii red, or Crypt bronze, or Brazilian Sword. Would it be plausible to put 2 species in one planter? Or are any of these able to handle a raft?

Name:	CIMG3617.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	49078

Name:	CIMG3619.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	49079

Spathiphyllum planted successfully.

Name:	CIMG3621.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	49080

From left-Right: Annubias barteri nana, Sweet Flag, Spathiphyllum 'Golden Glow', Hypoestes, Dracaena, Spathiphyllum peace lilly.

I took more pictures, but the lighting was kind of off so just these for now.

Today (Wednesday) I'm going to my other LFS to hopefully get the Vals and Dwarf Sags for the submerged areas, and the Java Fern Wendilov for the rafts. And whatever else is looking good. More pics to come.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #23
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339573898.764262.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  32.1 KBI just spotted a plant in that riparium I currently have potted is this the draecena I believe it's called and is it safe for fish/amphibians I have an axolotle in my riparium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #24
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
Attachment 49081I just spotted a plant in that riparium I currently have potted is this the draecena I believe it's called and is it safe for fish/amphibians I have an axolotle in my riparium

I don't see why not. I saw someone else use Draecena in a riparium and their fish didn't die. I think it did outgrow the environment though.

Anyways: Version 1 of Goob's 30 gallon tall riparium is well under way. Today I went to my other LFS and got some Lace Java Fern for the rafts, Dwarf Sag, Val nana, and a pot of narrow leaf micro sword that I'm going to try to grow emersed (separate experiment). I also obtained some more stones from around the neighborhood and sprinkled a few pebbles on the sand.

I also put the cryptocoryne 'tropica' and the brazillian sword together in one hanging planter. Let the best plant win. I propagated all leftovers in my 10g.

Pics:

Tank with top on, humidity at work.

Name:	CIMG3624.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	49144

Not such a great picture

Name:	CIMG3626.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	49145

I really hope that Lace Java Fern works out and fills up.

Name:	CIMG3627.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	49146

The bottom: Val Nana, Dwarf Sag, Java Fern, Brazillian Sword, Lace Java Fern, Anubias Barteri Nana, Cryptocoryne wendtii 'bronze'

Name:	CIMG3628.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	49147

Name:	CIMG3630.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	49149

Narrow shot:

Name:	CIMG3631.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	49150

Look from up top:

Name:	CIMG3632.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	49151

Tomorrow I'm going to clean out the filter media in the submersible filter. Thinking of adding a few drops of some liquid ferts give the plants a little something to work with. But yeah I'm at a good spot with this. Probably not going to add fish for another 2+ weeks. Not quite sure yet about the fauna list. For sure Cherry Barbs.

Hope you all have enjoyed the thread
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG3629.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	49148  

Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #25
Chunks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow I love it! Just shows you what you can accomplish with out much gear.
Chunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #26
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the advice

I can't wait to see how this grows in

Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #27
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

UPDATE TIME:

Everything is still alive. No fish yet. We're still letting it cycle. The planter plants are all doing phenomenally and so are the raft plants. The Java Fern Windelov is taking a while transforming from its submerged stage to its emersed form. Well worth the wait I'm sure.

Surprisingly, the Hypoestes (the pink plant) is doing pretty well. Its roots have grown and the leaves have oriented themselves towards the light. As you can see, the new leaves are growing in too. Whenever I knock it over, it reorients itself in less than 2 days.

The Spathiphyllum is flowering as expected. The Crypts are starting to send out new leaves. Particularly the C. Wendtii 'Tropica' on the far left planter looking like it will outcompete the brazilian sword but we shall see.

The submerged plants are melting and sending out new growth. Picture time:

Name:	IMG_0803.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	50489

Name:	IMG_0804.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	50490

Name:	IMG_0805.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	50491
^ ignore the reflection of the hammock

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	50492

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	50493

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	50494

Name:	IMG_0811.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	50495

Still contemplating on fauna. Heavily leaning towards 6 or 7 cherry barbs mixed with golden danios? 2-3 Panda Corys, and what about shrimp? Any input on fauna would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #28
rainbuilder
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)

I would go with a colony of pygmy sunfish. They can handle low filtration and water flow, and are really nice looking. Breed easily as far as I know. They only eat live food though, so it may not be your best bet. I've been wanting some for the longest time but haven't gotten any yet.
RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91
45 gallon hexagon 'Smooth Hillside'
rainbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

It looks great!

Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #30