The 120-P Reader - Pictures Included (56KWarning)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default The 120-P Reader - Pictures Included (56KWarning)

A little background, first. Iíve been a member for a while, but out of the loop for about a year.

I have been a planted tank hobbyist for around 4-5 years. I have made some truly horrific planted monstrosities. I didnít keep the pictures of all the bad ones for, well, obvious reasons, but I kept some. Remember that I said these are the ones I didnít toss out, hahaÖ

I had always been fascinated with the iwagumi style. I particularly value the wabi-sabi aesthetic it demonstrates Ė and really thatís what draws me to Mr. Amanoís work and Japanese style gardens in general. My own work as a theatre director follows this same transient, imperfect ideal, and I have always been drawn to art and expression that reveals frailty, character, uniqueness, organic origin and development, etc, particularly as it represents isolation and flawed beauty.

While I am only a doe-eyed novice yet, I always strive toward this sense of wabi-sabi Ė with little success, I admit Ė in my layouts. The areas I need the most experience and practice in are plant selection and trimming techniques.

Iíve spent a lot of time lately on the ADA View YouTube channel, and really it couldnít have happened at a better time. These videos have been invaluable to me. Seeing these scapes planted for seminars, and then trimmed and grown in - seeing their development over time - awesome.

We donít have an active club in my area, and the members around Portland are not terribly active as a community, so we have little opportunity to share plants, techniques, and tips with one another. This has been a good substitute so far.

A quick retrospective of my previous work. I do this for context. Go ahead and skip, if you want the build begins later. But, If you like a good, old-fashioned house of horrors, or a nice freak show, perhaps the type you'd rather not admit you love to see, then please by all means share in my past failures!

An early attempt:

Things I got right: CO2 and Light
Things I didnít: Ferts, substrate, layout, trimming, and plant choice

I wanted to represent an area much like my home. High desert. Tonina sp. ďLago GrandeĒ was a poor choice, here. The other plants grew ok, though.

Another:

Things I got right: Layout, substrate, CO2, Light
Things I didnít: Ferts, trimming and layout material

UghÖ why am I sharing this? Well, I think itís important to remember where Iíve been, so that I can see how far Iíve come. Plus, itís kind of cathartic to relive some of these horrors, hahaÖ

My first collectoritis tank:

Things I got right: light, ferts, heavily planted
Things I didnít: CO2 (neither stable nor well distributed), substrate, layout, gassed my fish ☹

This was my first 90-gallon scape. Perfect footprint, but the height was a LOT to deal with. I couldnít get the proportions to look right. I couldnít tolerate the complete chaos, either. I enjoy engineered chaos. My job is a lot like that.

My first (sort-of) success:

Things I got right: Light, CO2, diffusion, ferts, heavily planted, substrate, layout
Things I didnít: trimming

That was my 90-gallon from a few years back. I had a chance to practice some trimming techniques and grew a pretty awesome HC carpet. I never trimmed the carpet though, so it eventually uprooted when it reached about 2Ē thick. The plants grew so quickly that I couldnít keep up with them. 6xT5HO plus reactor diffusion and PPS classic dosing was a very high-growth combination!

The next version of the 90-gallon:

Lace rock and Manzanita. Kind of a tough scape to maintain with the sand. Eventually, my routine broke down, and I ceased to be productive scape-wise. I still really wanted an iwagumi scape. So, I built a few nanos to try my hand at stone layouts.

And then, back to the 90 for some wacky stone scapes:

That one was more like an aquarium clown-car: How much hardscape can I cram into a 90-gallon glass box?

Others:

theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.