Best Aquarium/Fish Shops in SC - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > South Carolina

Old 07-18-2010, 02:16 AM   #31
4kblktail
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrapman View Post
There is a very nice fish store in Charleston. It's located on Sam Rittenberg Blvd. I forget the name. The have a great stock of marine livestock. They also have a decent, well kept collection of FW fish and plants. The plants are limited and sell out soon, but if you call them, you can setup a good time/day to maximise ur visit. The best part about this store is very friendly and knowledgeble staff. They are not pushy at all. And yes they have ECOCOMPlete $29.99, if I remember correctly.
I can get you more details, if u r unable to find them on the internet.
I think you're referring to the place with the sign "FISH STORE" but it's called AGE OF AQUARIUMS and I love it there. The Staff develops good relationships with all costumers and they are very knowledgeable
4kblktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 AM   #32
Deggy

PTrader: (2/100%)

Any updates on Florence area stores; Pet Lovers/Pet World/PetSmart? I did visit PetSmart over the weekend; was as expected for a chain store, fish stocks were decent (FYI - new stocks arrive on Tuesdays). Plants limited to plastic tube assortments. Inverts; no shrimp, but red claw crabs...I bought the last 4 for my brack tank for $5 w/coupon Swap-n-Shop.
Deggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #33
ILoveMyTank
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer View Post
I have been to Fintastic in Charlotte - the best setup in NC or SC I've seen so far. They have lots of live plants and equipment. Their prices are $$$$ though.
Fintastics is outrageous in price. I moved here from Florida where there was a fish store on every corner and about had a heart attack when I saw their prices. They do negotiate some though. All sales persons are commisioned paid. I did do one custom order with them ( 7 bags of flourite black and 7 bags of flourite black sand ) and I got about 2 dollars a bag cheaper than anywhere I could find and no shipping cost. I guess this is because They wouldn't have sold me anything if they didn't. It's a shame that there are so few good aqautic stores in a major city like Charlotte. I know of one other good one but it's all saltwater.
ILoveMyTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:29 AM   #34
ILoveMyTank
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gad View Post
We don't shop in Myrtle Beach since they banned people who ride motorcycles.
What ???? I'm new to South Carolina and all I like to do is ride my bike. Is this true or you kidding ???? ban motorcycles ?????
ILoveMyTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 AM   #35
Seahoke

I may have to take a trip to Charlotte or Charleston some day then. A bit disillusioned by Columbia.

Petsmart in the Harbison area is good. Petsmart in the North East near me is pretty dire in terms of keeping fish alive.

Fishy Business is OK- except the people there seem pretty clueless. Few years back looking for Flourish Excel- I had to explain to one guy what it was for- he said he never stocked it because he couldn't figure out why anyone would want carbon in their tank. (I notice they stock it now though). He then told me to put seltzer water in my tank.

Last time I went there looking for Pearl Gourami I was told there is no such fish.

Every time I go they tell me something crazy so I certainly wouldn't ask them for advice any more then I would a bix box chain. Decent selection- their plant selection has improved over the years... pretty pricey. Frequently have fish mislabeled.

Their stock does look semi-healthy though... it is also nice to have an actual LFS. Just wish there was an alternative.

Overall I think Petsmart on Harbison has the healthiest stock in town and a fairly decent selection.

They've even price-matched me for online prices at competitors (even though corporate policy is brick and mortar price matching).

North East Petsmart told me they don't price match.

Overall though- I've brought fish at all three places and never had a problem with anything I've purchased. LOL- I even bought fish at Superpetz before they went under... that was a bit of a gamble- but all the fish stayed healthy.

I usually try to buy online though if I can and shipping isn't too prohibitive. I certainly don't think anywhere in Columbia is worthwhile asking for advice from. Petsmart cycle through staff too quick and Fishy Business haven't a clue.
Seahoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #36
Gad
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Petsmart in NE Cola is pretty good. The same people have been there for quite a while and know more than the average fish keeper. The only problems with their fish I've seen are from shipping. But they have a 14 day money back guarantee and don't check the water. That's the best return policy I've seen in my 48 years. There's another place down across from the VA Hospital. Pet Lovers or something like that which is kind of like Fishy Business, but not quite so high.
Eheim Pimp Club Member #287

Gad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #37
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

"Fishy Business is OK- except the people there seem pretty clueless."

I've been dealing with the mid-aged guy with the ponytail lately. He seems pretty knowledgeable... that said I'm not a complete newbie so I've been doing all my own research on the subjects I don't know about. There are a couple young guys that don't seem to know squat there though. I've just ignored them since our first convo...

I was also told recently that Fishy Business is working hard to step up their live plant supply.
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #38
Gad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post

I was also told recently that Fishy Business is working hard to step up their live plant supply.
I've been hearing that since the mid 90's. LMAO I won't be going back there. They are the best in Columbia, but that's not saying much. This is the worst place I've lived for this hobby. Even Fayetteville, NC had better stores. Korea and Germany as well. SC just must not be into this hobby like the rest of the USA and world is.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #39
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Hmmm.....Interesting to know. I'm new to the area and setting up my first planted tank, first aquarium in like 7 or 8 years. The only way I found FB is that it is across from my store. I will have to check out the other stores you've recommended.
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #40
Gotcha38
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deggy View Post
Any updates on Florence area stores; Pet Lovers/Pet World/PetSmart? I did visit PetSmart over the weekend; was as expected for a chain store, fish stocks were decent (FYI - new stocks arrive on Tuesdays). Plants limited to plastic tube assortments. Inverts; no shrimp, but red claw crabs...I bought the last 4 for my brack tank for $5 w/coupon Swap-n-Shop.
There's been a LFS on Cashua in Florence for as long as I can remember. It's small, and I can't remember the name. If you're on 2nd Loop you turn left beside the walgreens i believe? Then it's in the strip mall right down from Delmae Grocery. Before you get to Creek rats.
Gotcha38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:34 AM   #41
Gotcha38
Algae Grower

And posting this this to make sure that everyone is up to date.

http://scaquariacom.ipage.com/index.php
Gotcha38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #42
silentcircuit
Algae Grower

EDIT: Decided I was being too negative, took all this down.

Last edited by silentcircuit; 05-21-2011 at 06:04 AM..
silentcircuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #43
DBridges
Algae Grower

I lived in Florence, SC, for eight years, up until a year and a half ago when I moved to Savannah.

Pet World on Cashua is not recommended. I went there several times, and the owner was very off-putting. He would talk down to you as if you were a child, and he was not at all knowledgeable about planted aquariums. On the plus side, most of his fish seemed healthy. I am told he was big into breeding angelfish, but I don't know if that was true. Regardless, I never gave him any of my money as he seemed neither intelligent nor honest.

Pet Lovers on Irby is an okay store for tropical fish, with a decent selection of fish and a small selection of plants. The reason I gave my business to Pet Lovers, however, was because of one of their employees. A man named Gregg who works there is very knowledgeable about both fish and planted aquariums. He was always friendly, honest, and willing to order anything they didn't have in stock (fish, plants, whatever). The fish I bought there were always very healthy and I never had any issues. Bought some Crypts there as well and they did quite good in my aquarium.

PetSmart is the only other game in town, and they are your standard big box pet store.

David
DBridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #44
Fishperson

Default Good Fish Store

Found a good store to purchase fish in Columbia SC --

Pet Lover
6800 GARNERS FERRY RD
COLUMBIA, SC 29209
803-783-9705
M-SAT 9-9
SUNDAY 1-6

Originally,bought fish from a big chain store and they all died. Our water tested fine. Not a great experience.
Fishperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #45
Gad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishperson View Post
Found a good store to purchase fish in Columbia SC --

Originally,bought fish from a big chain store and they all died. Our water tested fine. Not a great experience.
No disrespect intended but that is one of the worst fish stores I've been to in my 40 years in the hobby all over the world. This post looks more like SPAM to me.