10 gallon Metaframe - Nature Style/Aqueon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

10 gallon Metaframe - Nature Style/Aqueon

This week I will pick up a 10 gallon Metaframe tank I got off of Craig's List, I wanted the whole retro setup with a light, stand, etc. but I have only come up with the tank because they are so heavy the shipping is often more than the tank, so local buys only.

I am jumping the gun but I need some input, the style of the tank will be Amano's nature style with a hardscape of rocks and or wood, it should also only have 3 to 5 species of plant, schooling fish and maybe some cleaning crew like Amano shrimp and a Orange Zebra Oto. It should resemble a scene from nature with plants a bit mixed or random and it will be entered into this years GWAPA aquascaping contest in the beginner category because this will be my first nature style tank.

So far this is what I have;

Tank - I will pick up this week, the tank leaked after only a couple of weeks and it has been repaired but I'll start another project with it soon.

Carbon
Pressurized C02, I want a good atomizer or something hidden - update; going with a Rex Grigg reactor/heater combo

Light - I've sent aquastyleonline a request for a price quote; - update; they never replied

3 Bridgelux 10k LEDs Update; I went with 10 x 10k and 10 x 6,500k form a ebay vendor and under powered the lights and no blue
2 Bridgelux 6,500 LEDs
2 Bridgelux Royal Blue 452-455nm LEDs
7 60 degree optical lenses
1 Maxwellen LED Dimmable Driver (7-12)x3w update; used a Mean Well ELN 60-48D1 (2"X0.9"X22")
Aluminum Heatsink, I'll need to trim it to size update; no heatsink was required when under powering the lights
1 potentiometer (control dimming)
1 meter of wire
2 wire connectors
1 power cord

1 8 cm fan kit update; no fan was needed with the under powered lights
1 moonlight with 3 modules

Filter
Eheim 2215, I've had this filter for a long time but I'm worried it's too big for this tank, suggestions?

Heater
Not Sure but I don't won't it in the tank

Substrate
ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia - I wish that I had all the additives to go with it

Hardscape
Rocks to the left stacked
Driftwood hanging from the rocks, maybe
with open area to the right and possibly a little white sand in the front

Plants - these may change?
Fissidens fontanus sp. mini
Vesicularia montagnei
Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan'
Staurogyne repens
Cryptocoryne wendtii green gecko
Najas sp. 'Roraima'

And they did change, so here's whats in the tank
Cryptocoryne lutea
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Florida Sunset'
Eleocharis sp. 'GWAPA' collected from the Potomac river near D.C., I think
Fissidens fontanus
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Lilaeopsis mauritiana
Rotala macrandra 'Japan red'

I know this is a lot of junk to fit in a little 10 gallon tank, but I'm going to give it my best shot. Here's the regulator I just saved it's a Victor VTS-200 dual stage, I have a Burkert 6011 solenoid & a Fabco NV-55 being delivered this week. This regulator failed after only a week or two, gassing off a whole 5# tank but I like it so much I tried to find a rebuild kit but so far I have had no luck. So I'm using the unit off of my 150 gallon tank.

I also started to put some small pieces of driftwood together, I whittled, carved, and drilled some holes to put it together without any fasteners, it was pretty tight to begin with but after is soaked for a couple of hours and swelled a bit it was rock solid.

Last edited by 150EH; 10-16-2012 at 02:54 AM.. Reason: updated
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I drove to Parkville MD. last night on the Harley to pick up the tank, it was a Craig's list find and it holds water but it has glue from tape and other goodies so it needs a good cleaning, but the seller gave me $10 off after I had paid him, so it was only $20, and his was a really nice guy. Also I went to my local stone yard and found two rocks I liked, I washed them down then soaked them in RO water over night, the gH was 5 and the kH zero and I had already added Equilibrium to the RO but I though it should have been 3 dgH.

Also my needle valves arrived, one will be used on this tank with the above regulator.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

That is super fun!
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Awesome.

As for your filter, it most likely will be a lot of flow. I am running one on my 20 long but it's far from 20 gallons with hardscape. I ordered a 2217 impeller when it was on my 29 as my impeller wore irregularly and now it's crazy. The length makes it work. You could either throttle it back, or put a T fitting in the tank. The T fitting will not only add hard angles but it will also basically half the flow in each direction. The only reason I would think this will work is I needed a temporary fix on another tank and did this and it reduced the "pressure" or "current" like crazy, not sure how to describe it but it wasn't shooting out water and calmed it a lot. Not sure if it effected actual flow much. It also makes a very tidy looking outflow if you aren't going with anything special like lily pipes. I would probably go with stainless lily pipes (and possibly polish them) on your tank if you are doing something special.

I also think it would be cool if you found something chrome for your lighting fixture since you are making it. Knowing you are into motorcycles, I am thinking like a chrome cover of some sort. I just think it would bee cool with the theme and probably look "vintage" without too much work if you found something the right size.

I look forward to seeing this expand.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the imput, I was thinking maybe a Rex Grigg reactor would help slow it down a little if I modify it at lilttle for super efficiency, my 2215 gave 8 years of service so it's old but it does have a 2217 impeller also.

On the light Hoppy has given me some ideas in another direction but still using LEDs but with aluminum channel and angle as the heat sink, now I need to make it look retro because his is very sleek and modern. I do have a cool cabinet design that should be a little between an ADA cabinet with a Craftsman style flare with polished or chrome hardware to match the tank.

Solenoids are in, just waiting for some 10-32 fitting so I can build the regulator.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Another member did one with aluminum channeling and it looks sweet, but very modern. I don't think it would detract but you could also just cover that in some sort of housing that is "retro".

I like the idea of the stand. Should be clean but retro.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

That tank brings back memories of my first 10 gallon tank. Congrats on finding one and the great price for it. This sounds like a great project.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks guys and I can't wait to see it come together. I did some polishing on the SS and glass but it's going to need more, but overall it's a nice tank with no damage other than normal wear.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

SWEET! I am present and accounted for.

Why not try to hide the LED's in the hood that came with it and put the drivers under the stand? Would that work, or am I thinking out my @#* again? Lol.

As for the stand. I would do something with a flat top so you don't hide any of the frame. That tank is too sweet to be hidden like that. Lol.

*WARNING* This post was typed while keyboard operator was extremely tired.

The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Kelli
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was at my LFS yesterday. They recently remodeled and found a stack of metaframe tops still in the box. I'm redoing my own so I nearly cried/pee'd when I saw them but alas they are 20". I can price them if you like?

~Kelli
Kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
SWEET! I am present and accounted for.

Why not try to hide the LED's in the hood that came with it and put the drivers under the stand? Would that work, or am I thinking out my @#* again? Lol.

As for the stand. I would do something with a flat top so you don't hide any of the frame. That tank is too sweet to be hidden like that. Lol.

*WARNING* This post was typed while keyboard operator was extremely tired.
Well I think something a little closer to the period would look better, plus I'm going to make the stand with a Craftsman type flare, it should look really nice when it's done. I filled today and no leaks but I would like to polish the glass a little more, it has years of calcium stains from sitting half full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli View Post
I was at my LFS yesterday. They recently remodeled and found a stack of metaframe tops still in the box. I'm redoing my own so I nearly cried/pee'd when I saw them but alas they are 20". I can price them if you like?

~Kelli
You are my new best friend and I would definitely like that, pm has been sent and thank you.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Well I think something a little closer to the period would look better, plus I'm going to make the stand with a Craftsman type flare, it should look really nice when it's done. I filled today and no leaks but I would like to polish the glass a little more, it has years of calcium stains from sitting half full.
Got ya. Hope you get it all clean. Those calcium deposits can be a pain.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
Azarakiah
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post

You are my new best friend and I would definitely like that, pm has been sent and thank you.
if the metal frame is steel, go ahead and use muratic acid to get rid of the calcium stains it should eat it right up. wont hurt the glass or silicone either, aluminum will start getting ate at by it right away though
Azarakiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #14
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the info and I did not know you could use muriatic acid on calcium, I did use a lime and it was strong enough to get the job done. I filled the tank to the brim and got a slow seep so I removed 32 ounces and it was fine and I'll never fill it that tall, also I buffed out the SS to a improved state, cut & cleaned the hood so I could use it for now.

I'm going to head out to the Home Depot tomorrow for cabinet materials, MDF and Poplar for the cabinet, so I should have some diy photos up soon
Old 06-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Any reason to not reseal the glass? I would be worried more long term. Even on one of my regular AGA tanks, my rim wasn't totally sealed and I would accidentally over fill and it was a pain. I personally wouldn't likely reseal most tanks but these seem like they wouldn't be too challenging and many members have said it wasn't too bad. Plus it may be easier to polish up while you are at it.