My tanks and their inhabitants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

My tanks and their inhabitants

Tiger/yellow tank: 20gal, 2xHOB filters, sponge filter, moss, stargrass, riccia, hornwort. Approx 45 Tigers, 15 Yellows and a bunch of babies around somewhere. pH around 7 with mix of tap water and peat filtered water, Tahitian moon sand

Fire Red Tank: 10gal, AC 20 HOB, sponge filter, moss, stargrass, hornwort. Approx 60 shrimp as I heavily culled lots of the not so red ones and gave about 80 lower grades to my roomie. pH around 7 with mix of tap water and peat filtered water, cheap black gravel

Selective Breeding Tank: 10gal (of my 4 connected tanks) AC 20, Fluval 2 Plus internal filter that feeds the other 3 tanks. Moss, stargrass, hornwort. pH around 6.4 with peat filtered tap water. cheap black gravel

The two shrimp in there for breeding.

Golden/Snow Tank: 10gal (of my 4 connected tanks). AC 20, Startgrass, moss, hornwort. Approx 10 shrimp. pH around 6.4 with peat filtered tap water. cheap black gravel

The goldens were shy but here's a few shots of the ones in the tank now.

A/S Grade CRS Tank: 10gal (of my connected 4 tanks) AC30, Stargrass, moss, hornwort. Approx 80 shrimp. pH around 6.4 with peat filtered tap water. ada amazonia

SS/Selective Breeding: (7.5gal of my connected 4 tanks), AC 20, sponge filter. Moss, stargrass, hornwort. 1 male, 2 berried females, approx 30 babies. pH around 6.4 with peat filtered tap water. netlea soil

The male stud.

One of the two females in there.

PFR Female/Naturally occurring male rili breeding test. 2.5 gal. Sponge filter, moss, hornwort. Approx 40 shrimp. pH around 7 with peat filtered tap water and tap. cheap black gravel

20gal SS/SSS (Hopefully soon to be Taiwan Bee Tank). Eheim Pro 2 2026, sponge filter, stargrass, moss, hornwort. Approx 50+ SS/SSS juvi's. pH around 5.6 with RO water and netlea soil.

Breederbox fed from my spraybar, sponge filter, moss. No one in there right now.

FTS Shots. The top 3x10gal and the 7.5gal are all connected together to give 37.5gal volume of water and allow me to keep grades separate. Excuse the mess around it. And 1 lone empty tank sitting there for something???? Cardinals maybe in my future.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
ROZDAB
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)

I would never get any work done with my computer right there lol

Nice set up really digging it all
ROZDAB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Wow! I wish I could have a setup like that.

-Lisa
Old 06-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
sso
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

yeah, its really nice.
sso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

thanks. I've built it over the last year with mostly all free or cheap stuff from Kijiji. The only tank I bought was one of the 20gal's from a local fish auction, $12 for the tank, hood, filter, and the 7.5gal cube. The rest were all free. Bought a shop light, all the HOB filters came in a box of Aquaclears for $20, all the moss, start grass, hornwort started with a few pieces and have been spread to all the tanks.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
BIG_Z
Serial Plant Killer

PTrader: (21/100%)

This may sound like a stupid question (it probably is). The PVC pipes, maintain water level in all the tanks correct? Does the HOB filter on the far right have any filtration effect on the tank all the way to the left? I assume the sponges are more than enough anyway..but if you wanted to try something like that without the sponges would it work. (assuming 2x per week water changes from the filter tank, thus pulling the less filtered water to that tank and then when new water is added leveling things back out)
The Fraternity of Dirt #59

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
BIG_Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Hm.. geto, you removed the internal filter that would distribute water throughout the tanks?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Hm.. geto, you removed the internal filter that would distribute water throughout the tanks?
Nope, it's a fluval plus 2 in the first tank full full of purigen. Can't see it now really. Use some 5/8" tubing and made a spray bar from it so it brings water to all the tanks.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 06-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_Z View Post
This may sound like a stupid question (it probably is). The PVC pipes, maintain water level in all the tanks correct? Does the HOB filter on the far right have any filtration effect on the tank all the way to the left? I assume the sponges are more than enough anyway..but if you wanted to try something like that without the sponges would it work. (assuming 2x per week water changes from the filter tank, thus pulling the less filtered water to that tank and then when new water is added leveling things back out)
Yes, the PVC helps keep the water levels the same when you suck the air out of them. To some extent, each filter affects the water in all the tanks. Each tank has a HOB filter on it. There is a internal filter in Tank 1 that distributes water to Tanks 2,3,4. This forces Tank 1's water level to drop as the internal filter pumps water out of the tank. This forces water from Tank 2 into Tank 1 to keep the levels the same, then from 3 to 2, 4 to 3, then from 1 to 2,3,4 and the whole cycles keeps going so all the water is same and being moved around from the tanks. Because the spraybar from the internal filter isn't distributing the EXACT amount of water to Tanks 2,3,4, their levels will be a bit different and might have to pull water from 3 to 4 to keep tank 4 level if it's getting less water, etc, so basically each filter will end up filtering the total water volume in some way.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
BIG_Z
Serial Plant Killer

PTrader: (21/100%)

ahh, ok guess that I missed that there was something in tank one pushing water into 2,3,4. Makes a lot more sense now. Now that I see how it works I like the setup a lot
The Fraternity of Dirt #59

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
BIG_Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #11
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Weren't you the guy who made that DIY peat filter from the neck of a water bottle and a bag of peat? Doesn't the peat lose its ability to soften the water?

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #12
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrowth View Post
Weren't you the guy who made that DIY peat filter from the neck of a water bottle and a bag of peat? Doesn't the peat lose its ability to soften the water?
If you run peat in a filter, it would loose it's ability over time. I filter the water beforehand and what it comes out as in the end is what it stays out, +/- a 0.? pH point or so as the water off gases and settles.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
If you run peat in a filter, it would loose it's ability over time. I filter the water beforehand and what it comes out as in the end is what it stays out, +/- a 0.? pH point or so as the water off gases and settles.
That's pretty ingenious. How much peat do you think I need to get a 6.4-6.8 pH from a 7.4 pH?

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
sso
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

thats a pretty much wow setup.
sso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

I gotta ask how much work you do at your computer there lol. With only two tanks near my desk I still look around a lot more and watch the activity a lot haha. It's definitely relaxing but with so many tanks I'd be so distracted :P

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.