My inexpensive CFL light solution - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #136
Azarakiah
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xriddler View Post
Thank you Azarakiah for directing me to this thread. I own a 40g breeder and would like to try my hands on growing hc cuba. Has anyone had any luck growing this carpet plant using clamp lighting? Would also like to find out your lighting conditions/parameters. 13w cfls as i read gives about 35par how much more do cuba's require? Would 4 8.5 inch shop lights with 23w cfls with 1600 lumens each bulb be enough to grow hc cuba? Would the spread of light cover my whole tank back to front? i cant afford pressurized co2 either and i asked my lfs if cuba can grow with diy co2 and they said definately. however i might use diy co2 or just dose excel not sure which way to go yet. Sorry im very new and this would be my first tank >_> please be kind if you need to chew me out for stupidity but please do tell me where i am lacking of knowledge. thank you all
dont quote me on it, but as my knowledge form this forum is, hc needs very high lighting, like some t5ho , and pressurized co2. i love the looks of it, but its not worht the hassle AT ALL to me.
Azarakiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #137
Azarakiah
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarakiah View Post
dont quote me on it, but as my knowledge form this forum is, hc needs very high lighting, like some t5ho , and pressurized co2. i love the looks of it, but its not worht the hassle AT ALL to me.
also im using 10 inch domes with 23 wat bulbs each. light spread is good. coveres the entire tank. they raised up a few inches look on the previous pages and see what everyone says about their tanks and such
Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #138
seandelevan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

My 2 ten inch dome cfl's on my 40 gallon Vivarium. Great results.

seandelevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #139
jeremyTR
Suspended

PTrader: (4/100%)

I just went out and bought these but with 50w bulbs. did I go overboard with the wattage?
jeremyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #140
allaboutfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

thanks for this thread! im going out tomorrow or monday to get the lamps and CFL's.
allaboutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:56 AM   #141
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post
I just went out and bought these but with 50w bulbs. did I go overboard with the wattage?

This sounds serious....

What, exactly, did you buy?

m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #142
Azarakiah
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post

This sounds serious....

What, exactly, did you buy?

i know right? everytime i read his post i think "lemme see pics of ur algae"
Old 04-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #143
jeremyTR
Suspended

PTrader: (4/100%)

lol, well...i'll probably still get algae but I switch those out with two 20W CFLs
jeremyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #144
jmrmotorhead
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)

How have these lights been working for all of you? My tank has been doing very well with them. Rigged up a pvc bar rather recently to hang them from so I could go topless

If you compare that picture to the first picture in this thread you can see how much the java fern has grown, its crazy!
Matt

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank
jmrmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #145
m00se
Wannabe Guru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk08C0Fog-I
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 AM   #146
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't want to say it will fit for all but I did this even cheaper! For my first planted tank and with no knowledge, I had no idea where to start for lighting but I knew I wanted to learn more before investing the big bucks. I build all my canopies so that left the field wide open for lights as long as I could hide them under the canopy. Cheap and flexible were the priorities until I learned more what I needed.

My 20 gallon , first planted, had four temporary construction bulb holders strung along an extension cord inside a wooden hood. It gave me the option of adding more bulbs or different wattage until I found what worked. The bulb and holders totalled about $5 per light but they were as flexible as I wanted to make them. I could clip them on the wire or off to move with practically no effort.

A good way for me to get some experience for less than $20.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:35 AM   #147
BS87
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrmotorhead View Post
How have these lights been working for all of you? My tank has been doing very well with them. Rigged up a pvc bar rather recently to hang them from so I could go topless

If you compare that picture to the first picture in this thread you can see how much the java fern has grown, its crazy!
Matt
Any pics showing the pvc better? I had something exactly like this planned but can't figure how to securely attach it to the top of the tank. How did you attach it?
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #148
jmrmotorhead
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)

Ill put up some later toda for you. Its pretty simple, just a t at the bottom with legs that go front and back and hang over the front and back rim. The left side was done simpler since I was able to lean it against the right wall for support.

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank
jmrmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #149
Rewd

Great thread. Lots of good info.

I have a 55 gallon that's running with some java fern and 1 goldfish as a temporary resident until I decided what to do with this tank. I've decided to go back to tropical fish and do a serious planted tank.

Would 4 or 5 domes with 23w 6500K CLF spirals be enough for a serious planeted tank at the 55 gallon stage or is this only suitable for smaller tanks? I DO plan to do pressurized CO2. I want the full deal, but would love to be able to do the lighting dirt cheap.
Rewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #150
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Clamp lamps will work just fine on a 55. I think 4 would be ideal, since a 55 is 48" long and you can get 10" clamp lamps. I would *strongly* suggest you start with 13w CFLs rather than 23w because your aquarium will be new and you will struggle with the various algaes that pop up. 13w will be more than ample for your needs. I can't emphasize this enough. The #1 mistake people make is over-driving with light.