RO Formula.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-18-2003, 07:25 PM   #1
mattrmiller
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have been using RO mixed with a little bit of tap water, for about 4 months now. My tap water is really hard, and has a lot of other bad things in it, this is why I mix. I have yet to get the right formula for everything, and still have string algae problems in my 20 gallon. I know there are products from companies like Kent for RO water stabilizer. Here are my questions:

1) What are ideal levels for everything, trace, iron, PH, KH, GH, etc. I need to retest my tap water and see if it’s acceptable to use more of.

2) If I stick with just RO water what it a good formula of stuff to add. Like Kent products. I know it is all about balance, but I have yet to find that.

I am asking here, because I hope that someone else uses RO water... and also I know the LFS will just try to sell me something.

Thank you.
mattrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2003, 08:47 PM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

What are the parameters of your tap water?

Mike
Old 09-18-2003, 08:54 PM   #3
mattrmiller
Planted Member

I need to re-test my tap water. I know it is really, really hard, and probably has a lot of iron in it. That's why I am using RO water, but I can never get a good balance. I will repost my tap water conditions later tonight.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:50 AM   #4
mattrmiller
Planted Member

Ok, like I said my tap water is bad... this is how it reads. I do not even think that I should be mixing it with RO, which is why I asked about Kent Marine products, and if anyone else has experience with them.

Tap Water:
Nitrate: 20
Nitrite: 0
GH: 250
KH: 300
PH: 8.4
Old 09-19-2003, 02:00 AM   #5
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Well, its not great, but not all that bad either.... I am concerned on the higher PH, but what is the PH at the LFS were you get your fish, if your fish are used to it they may do ok... I however dont think you will be breeding Discus in that water.... :lol:

Are there any phosphates in your water?????? Some PH adjusters have lots of phosphates in them, are you adding anything like that to the water, or just mixing the RO with tap... IME thread or string algea is usually a result of to high of phosphates... I have read a high iron level can aggrevate the situation.

Never used kent marine products... Always Seachem...

Jason
Old 09-19-2003, 02:45 AM   #6
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Your water isn't that bad Matt!
My parameters are similar, except my pH is higher (8.6) and my nitrates are lower about 15. My KH and GH are also a wee bit high, but not bad compared to others.
I use RO water. I add dechlorinated tap water to my RO, as well as K2SO4 to "build it back up". Nothing else. No chemicals or buffers. I do a 30 gallon water change once a week. I go with 17 gallons of RO to 13 gallons of tap. The adjusted RO water has a pH of 7.3, nitrates are at about 10, and the KH is 4.
My suggestion to you Matt, is to try doing the same. Add tap water to your RO instead of buffers, etc.
You will need to experiment to find the ratio of tap to RO that works for you. Do it on a small scale a gallon or half gallon at a time. Keep testing and making notes! You will be able to work it out fairly quickly!

Mike
Old 09-19-2003, 02:56 AM   #7
mattrmiller
Planted Member

Thank you very much for your speedy response. I will try to mix more tap water. So far, I have only been mixing about 4 cups per 20 gallons... I know it's not alot but I don't trust my tap water. So you do not think my tap water is that bad? I was just concerned about the hardness. Do you think I should add any trace elements to "build up" the water"... I know you said you dose K2SO4... what product... or how do you do this? Thank you very much for all of your help.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:16 AM   #8
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Don't be scared of your tap water Matt!!

EXPERIMENT!!

Do it with a gallon bucket. Try 3/4 gallon RO to 1/4 gallon tap. Test. Try 1/2 RO to 1/2 tap etc. Keep notes! You don't want to lose track of what you are doing. Believe me it will work out and it will be a lot easier, cheaper, and just plain better that adding buffers and the like.

Right now I add trace elements via Seachem's Flourish. In a couple of weeks I will add some Plantex CMS to the Flourish for traces. I just started to slowly add K2SO4 at water change time. I go with 1/8 teaspoon. I am slowly working up to 1 teaspoon at water change time. I will start adding phosphates soon. Hey, it's a new fertilizing regime, so I am moving slowly!!
But that's my aquarium!

Don't worry about that too much right now. Get your "ratio" first. Then start reading as many posts on fertilizing as possible!!

Mike