Where is everyone getting drift wood from in Denver?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 05-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
zimbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to zimbo

Where is everyone getting drift wood from in Denver?

Hi folks, wanted to know if you guys had any particular spot where you get a good selection of driftwood? I've tried DG Pets, Todd's, Aqua Imports, Great White Aquatics, all with no real luck lately.

Most of the store's I've checked out carry the Malaysian wood and then Mopani. i find the latter one rather amusing, I grew up on a ranch in Zimbabwe and we had the stuff lying around all over the show and now you pay serious $$ for it here....

Anyways, I'm looking for something along the lines of Manzanita wood (something a little less chunky) and don't know if anyone has come across places that stock it locally?

Thanks,
Ryan
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #2
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbo View Post
Hi folks, wanted to know if you guys had any particular spot where you get a good selection of driftwood? I've tried DG Pets, Todd's, Aqua Imports, Great White Aquatics, all with no real luck lately.

Most of the store's I've checked out carry the Malaysian wood and then Mopani. i find the latter one rather amusing, I grew up on a ranch in Zimbabwe and we had the stuff lying around all over the show and now you pay serious $$ for it here....

Anyways, I'm looking for something along the lines of Manzanita wood (something a little less chunky) and don't know if anyone has come across places that stock it locally?

Thanks,
Ryan
Ive been ordering mine from Tom barr, excellent stuff. Manzanita wood grows wild in colorado in the south west, I have heard that Cotton wood does a pretty good job in our tanks as well, and it is pretty easy to come by here.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
cardgenius
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/93%)

Like Noahma is saying, Tom Barr/Plantbrain is the one to go to for Manzanita. Look through his thread in the Power Sellers section. Hes got some great stuff and great prices. If you dont see something you like just tell him what your looking for and he'll hook it up.
cardgenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
zimbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to zimbo

thanks for the info, i'll look him up.
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
SomebodySayJuan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

I've had good luck with Aqua Imports so far. Picked up a couple of nice cholla wood pieces from them for my oddly shaped 50g.
SomebodySayJuan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Driftwood

Hello Ryan...

There's nothing that will compare to the local river bed and lake bed pieces. Plan a day trip up north sometime and check out the local river beds here. My tanks are full of pieces I've found around the local rivers. The price is very reasonable, free.

B
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
moosenart
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

Plantbrain!

I ride motorcycles.
moosenart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
ZLogic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I got a nice stump looking piece out of Blue Mesa Reservoir on a fishing trip. Salmon snagging..yum.
ZLogic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
Alplily
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've found some really nice, almost manzanita-ish, ponderosa pine roots in lakes and rivers up here in Estes.

12G Rimless Club
Alplily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #10
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I go to the Cherry Creek river (Cherry Creek bike path), between Cherry St. in Glendale, all the way to the Cherry Creek Damn in Aurora. It's where I've gathered some of the rocks in my tanks, but most importantly I've found some really sweet natural weathered driftwood pieces.

I know someone will say "why would he give up the area we can find driftwood, he's crazy!!!", yeah well I'm a generous person, and my tanks have everything "nature/natural" stuff they need. So why not let other people know where to find this kind of stuff, and saving them lot of money, especially with the driftwood prices for small ass pieces at local fish stores...... :/

Here's just a couple driftwood pieces I've collected for 1 of my 55 gallon tanks....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.