House of Tropicals - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Maryland

Old 07-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #16
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

They have stepped up their game here lately with all the tanks cleaned all the time, now if they could just get better in the equipment isles and a little more variety in the planted isles, if you have it we will come so with a fast turn over there is no special set up needed for high requirement plants, they just need to fly out the door. This is the last good LFS in Maryland so unless you want to be stuck with Petco & Petsmart you'd better get your butt in the store and start buying, if this one goes we are all sc#$%@&ed.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #17
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

THOT has definately made a change, I picked up a beautiful and super large Cryptocoryne wendtii v. tropica for only $5.98 and 3 bunches of Bacopa caroliniana with 8 stems per bunch for only $2.98 ea, I also notice swords growing out of the water they were so big.

Most of the tanks are clean but they still have bad BBA in some sections, it seems they are starting to stock a little more in the odball fish too.

If you are think about going, it's most likely going to be worth the trip.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #18
jrman83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Their selection of fish is incredible...compared to other places I have been. Definitely beats Superpetz in Annondale.
Eheim Pimp #448
jrman83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #19
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Someone is bucking for a promotion here, HOT is getting cleaned up nicely with the full line of Fluval filters from small to the FX5, tons of all in one nano tanks set ups, Fluval Stratum and other substrates, LED lighting in a variety of sizes, more plants and fish than the norm with a selection of Apisto's!!!!

If you haven't been in a while, things are changing at HOT and it's for the good, it's not a super store yey but if they keep it up this place is going to be great.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
Dr. Acula
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I agree with everyone remarking on the changes at HOT. I've been going there for a couple years, and the recent changes have been great to see. I remember stopping in after I hadn't for a number of months, due to being away for college and all, and being awfully excited about what I saw. I told a bunch of people who didn't care at all about it how awesome it was the way they were improving the store, if I remember correctly.

Fish selection has always been pretty good, and in my opinion has gotten better too along with the rest of it. Though tastes in fish differ, admittedly.

Point is, if you can, I'd give the place a look.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
ryc120
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

First time poster here from the Baltimore area. Visited HOT a few weeks ago. Was impressed by the selection of fish they had. Staff seemed friendly, and knowledgable. I bought a couple of plants which are still doing well. I also bought 10 rummy nose tetras, and all have died in the past couple of weeks. My existing fish have been fine - not sure what happened.
ryc120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
echoskybound
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have cardinal tetras that I got from HoT two years ago that are still doing great. Occasionally they have a shipment of beautiful betas; I got the most gorgeous halfmoon beta I had ever seen from them a few years ago. Great saltwater fish collection, although their corals are kind of sparse. I've never gotten plants there, but the plants aren't too eye-catching from my memory, but maybe I'll get some soon and see how they do. They've started to stock up on some interesting vivarium tanks lately.

I also get my pet mice there. I have a few of them right now. They have always been healthy, docile and gentle little animals. I'm not sure where their small mammals come from but they are definitely hand tame.

Although during my last visit, I noticed a way higher number of dead fish than normal. I've been going there for about 5 years now, and that's a little unusual.
echoskybound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #23
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

HOT has continued to step up their game with a new RedSea tank setup in the rear of the equipment side which has turned into the all in one tank area, up front the have riparium displays with tanks and plants for sale, the fish selection is good with a few oddballs but I would like to see more selection in the FW fish. The plant section is the weakest area but most of use have a ton of plants and they are now starting to stock shrimp and had a ton of RCS on my last visit, so if you have been thinking of going make the trip and Monday is their big delivery day so I would suggest Tues or Weds as the best days when you are likely to score that odd fauna you've been looking for, good luck.