Lighting ?? for 15 Gal High...confused on spectrum
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-16-2003, 04:06 PM   #1
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Ok....I need a tad bit of help here. I have read and read and re read. I am looking for some PC bulbs to put in my 10 gallon incandescent hood that I picked up yesterday. Wellbiz linked me to the 1000bulbs.com and I found some bulbs that would work i think.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/shopping/sh...t+Incandescent

I would need to go with the 23 watt versions due to the limit (real or just implied) of 50 watts on my hood.

With that being said if you look on the portion of the site (more info I believe ...my browser wont get there now for some reason)....there are various K ratings for the bulbs there. Which one would be best?

2la, I read a post of yours earlier but I am still a bit confused. I know that the plants will adapt to the light in the tank but the spectrum/kelvin thing really has me confused.

Anyone have any recommendations on this?

Thanks a BILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2003, 06:40 PM   #2
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

The link you gave shows 42 watt versions, but if the 23 watt versions have the same K ratings then I would go with the 6500. It will appear whiter. I think the 4100 would be too yellow.
DLeDeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 12:53 AM   #3
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mike, please specify which post of mine you're referring to so I can help clarify. In the meantime, I will leave you with an analogy:

If I owed you a dollar and paid you back with change in a little brown baggie, would you know the exact type (pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, half-dollars) and number of each coin I gave you? Not unless I showed you exactly what was in the baggie. Color temperature's the same way--it only tells you the overall effect of the bulb's spectral properties; it says nothing about what the spectrum is actually composed of (where, how tall, or how wide the emission peaks are). Just as you can combine coins a number of different ways to still get a dollar, you can get a specified color temperature a number of ways by varying aspects of the spectrum. See here for the perfect example, and notice how none of the 6500K bulbs share the same spectrum, nor do any of the 5000K bulbs.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 02:44 AM   #4
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

2la.....

I cant find the post now...it was a discussion about how a 5000K light does not necessarily make a good plant light due to varying spikes in the spectrum.

I looked at the link....WOW....OK...now my question is how do you find out the spectrum on a light.

For example...I purchased 2 25 watt PC flourescents from Lowes just for the fun of it....only problem is they are "soft white" 3000K bulbs...they look yellowish like regular light bulbs you use in your lamps. Are these adequate for now for plants?

If I were to go to the site that sells the compact flourescents (1000 bulbs) and ordered the 23 watt versions....what would be the "best" K rating for the ones involved. The reason i ask is I am pretty confused now on what works. I have read so many posts on "use 6500" etc.....

So without knowing the spectrum of the bulb....how do you tell unless you know people with experience on it.

Anyhow.....bottom line is im trying to get bulbs to grow plants with compact flourescent screw ins.

Thanks for all the help sorry If I sound confused.....its because I am.

Mike

Old 09-17-2003, 06:24 PM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Mike,
The 3000K bulbs will grow excellent algae. While everything 2la says about spectrum is true, it doesn't really help IF you want to use the little PC fluorescents. A 6500K bulb will give you a whiter, more natural light and less algae growth than a 3000K.
A spectral curve with spikes in the red and blue ranges, like special plant grow bulbs have, will provide more usable light to your plants, but still... as long as there is enough light, they will be growing fine even with the less favorable spectrum of cheap 6500K bulbs.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:24 PM   #6
slyargent
Algae Grower

I agree with wasserpest. Also, look at it this way.

Plants use CO2, light and nutrients, and they mainly use their energy to get the first two. Once light gets harder to to obtain, the plant will try to refoucs most of its enrgey in collecting and adapting to light...But if there is adequate lighting, but little co2, plants will try to readapt and refocus in getting available carbon from carbo sources(co2, carboinate from water). If both is available, plants go faster.

My point is, plants are adaptable, giving them right conditions, and they will pretty much use any light available to them...
slyargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 01:52 AM   #7
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mike, don't apologize. The only way to know the spectrum is for the manufacturer to print it on the package (or get yourself a spectroscope). In most cases, though, you are reasonably safe to assume a bulb with a color temperature in the 5000K to 6700K range will give you a decent spectrum.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 02:16 AM   #8
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks 2la I appreciate it....will place an order tonight for some! BTW....my German Blue Rams laid eggs sometime today! I put a post up under the fish if you want to see...pretty hard to see the eggs because they are angled away from the tank.

Mike