ADA 60-H Steal! ヾ(⌒∇⌒)ノ Scaped! ヽ( ・ω・)ノ♪ Set up! Ready for plants. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #16
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Pretty awesome deal! I really like the rocks but I agree that they may be a tad too big for the tank...they throw the scale abit out of whack.

It actually reminds me a bit of a salt-water reef set-up. A rock dominated scape with some well thought out plant additions could look really cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
Good deal on the tank, I was watching that setup sit for the longest time. My personal opinion is the rock is too big for the tank.

I find it funny that the lady is doing the heavy lifting while you're behind the camera. Girls + rocks + glass tanks = no way
I second both of those notions.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
FlyingGiraffes
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumer View Post
Beautiful scape and girlfriend
I think these are lava rocks right !!
Waiting to see it planted and filled. BTW what plants are you planning on ?
Subscribed
Thanks!

Yep, you're right these are lava rocks.

I'm not completely sure yet. Have some idea, but need to decide. Pressure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Those are some serious rocks, looking good
Seriously, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
Good deal on the tank, I was watching that setup sit for the longest time. My personal opinion is the rock is too big for the tank.

I find it funny that the lady is doing the heavy lifting while you're behind the camera. Girls + rocks + glass tanks = no way
I was too. Felt bad.

Rock or rocks? It looks different in person imo. The photos lack depth and 3 dimensionality. The eyes capture more detailing in the lava rock.

They are definitely bigger than normal, and I like that. People try to emulate the mountains with rock scapes, but the rocks are always small in proportion to their tanks. Why not use bigger rocks and make a more impressive mountain?

These are actually screen shots of a video I took of us scaping. The rocks were placed with combined efforts and I moved out of the way so it looks like only my gf worked on it. Without my gf's help, I wouldn't have been able to put the rock in the tank. I'm only 115 lbs. Add a 40 lb rock to me on top of a chair bending over into a small glass space = a recipe for disaster.

My gf is actually stronger than me. She was doing olympic level gymnastics
before she broke her spine. Good thing her spinal cord was not damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharsis View Post
Pretty awesome deal! I really like the rocks but I agree that they may be a tad too big for the tank...they throw the scale abit out of whack.

It actually reminds me a bit of a salt-water reef set-up. A rock dominated scape with some well thought out plant additions could look really cool.
I'm glad you see it that way. The whole point was to have the scale out of the norm. I'm thinking about a small lava rock 4-6" ish in the front right to make the bigger ones look big, and also to balance it out with a nice trio. All the stone scapes I see have smaller rocks. I wish people would do something a little different sometimes. Not that Iwagumis in that style look bad.

I'm thinking pretty hard about my plant choices. I think HC would be a really good option, though cliche, it will enhance the sense of scale. On the other side, I'm almost out of money (college student) and growing belem would look good as well + I can sell portions for decent money.

Not sure about the back left corner though. I have pretty large triangular area since the left rock is pushed forward. I think I might just carpet it in the beginning and if I want to transform this tank I can do stems/tall plants in that corner.

I'm probably going to include a small school of green neons to further the scale and by keeping the school small x2 the sense of scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
I second both of those notions.
Refer to the reply to prototyp3. It will respond to your thoughts if yours were the same as his.

Wow, I wrote a lot.
FlyingGiraffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #19
alfalfa
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharsis View Post
OP: Just make a big ADA sticker and tell everyone it is a Mini-S with some new micro-nano fish species you discovered in a bog on a trip to Asia.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #20
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Going to be a very dramatic scape, something that makes a statement from across the room then you want to get up close to see what is in there. Sure must have been scary moving those rocks in there.

Reminds me of this one at 3:24 in this ADA video.
http://youtu.be/5lk99JTRyKI
Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #21
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

This forum needs more scapes with rocks which extend to the surface. Nice start, man.
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #22
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

I tend to agree with prototyp3 and tharsis; these rocks are very large. Although I agree that far too many tanks underestimate the value of large rock in their plan, were each of the rocks you currently are using were about 33% smaller I think they would be perfect. Just my humble opinion, however I am eagerly looking forward to what ultimately decide to do with this tank.
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #23
hidefguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGiraffes View Post
My gf is actually stronger than me. She was doing olympic level gymnastics
before she broke her spine. Good thing her spinal cord was not damaged.

I like the scape so far nice job, what are you going to do about the holes in the back?
hidefguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #24
green_valley
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Well, any updates yet? I am really curious about your design of the plants placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGiraffes View Post

Shhh...
No worries, I won't tell her. hahah, u evil

Green's Resurrection Aquarium Gallery
green_valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #25
FlyingGiraffes
Planted Member

You guys have high expectations for me to get the scape looking right! Hopefully I live up to your expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post
OP: Just make a big ADA sticker and tell everyone it is a Mini-S with some new micro-nano fish species you discovered in a bog on a trip to Asia.
You are a genius. I should've done this. Now I just need a plant that looks like a bigger version of a carpeting plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Going to be a very dramatic scape, something that makes a statement from across the room then you want to get up close to see what is in there. Sure must have been scary moving those rocks in there.

Reminds me of this one at 3:24 in this ADA video.
http://youtu.be/5lk99JTRyKI
Thank you!

Are you sure you didn't read my mind? I actually have this tank bookmarked because I wanted to do something like it with one of my nano's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaethetic View Post
This forum needs more scapes with rocks which extend to the surface. Nice start, man.
Thanks!

More please. Join the club. Wish the bigger rock was just a few inches taller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx View Post
I tend to agree with prototyp3 and tharsis; these rocks are very large. Although I agree that far too many tanks underestimate the value of large rock in their plan, were each of the rocks you currently are using were about 33% smaller I think they would be perfect. Just my humble opinion, however I am eagerly looking forward to what ultimately decide to do with this tank.
I think depth and height wise they're fine, a little space on each side would probably work better. In the future maybe I'll move this scape to a 90p, for now I'll just be a dreaming student.

Thanks! I am too. This is super exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefguy View Post

I like the scape so far nice job, what are you going to do about the holes in the back?
I'm not sure right now... I could be lazy and have the water level lower than the holes, but I should do something. I have a diagram of the plumbing in the post under this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_valley View Post
Well, any updates yet? I am really curious about your design of the plants placement.

No worries, I won't tell her. hahah, u evil
Eheim 2217 should be here at 6. Right now I'm figuring out plumbing. Maybe I'll draw a few diagrams of the scapes I have in mind for you guys to look at.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #26
FlyingGiraffes
Planted Member

Here's the diagram for plumbing the canister to the drilled holes. Look alright?

Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #27
FlyingGiraffes
Planted Member

Small update! Disclaimer First time doing a digital drawing. The diagram above doesn't count, LOL.

Finished sketching a basic scape. This is a pretty generic Iwagumi. Next ones will be less overdone styles. Not sure if I can draw them though, LOL.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #28
radioman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I think with the rocks will look good that big. You don't see rocks that big that often.
Canon Pimp Club #012
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #29
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

I see what you're going for with the drawing, but you don't have the space to get that feel. Once you crop it down to the actual tank size (and water depth) it's going to look more like this. (attachement)

Sweet pre-vis drawing though. It's always good to have a plan!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cropped.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	47885  

Old 05-22-2012, 02:26 AM   #30
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

You know you mentioned the back corner triangle. That got me to thinking of some vivipara or cyprus heleferi in lieu of stem plants. They might compliment what you're currently planning...But I must agree with prototyp3, I love the drawn plan!
styxx is offline   Reply With Quote